Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Good comparison shots of The Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good comparison shots of The Matrix

DVDAnswers has an article up showing the many different "improvements" between the old and new transfers of the original Matrix film. It's worth checking out for those who may still be on the fence about getting this release.

Check it out here.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-11-04 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-11-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the Words of Keanu: "Whoa"
Old 12-11-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very nice! Thanks!
Old 12-11-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't gotten around to watching the new transfer yet but those shots have encouraged me to watch the new DVD right away!!! Those shots are as different as night and day.
Old 12-11-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
can't wait to get this

it'll be like watchin a whole new movie
Old 12-11-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this new transfer going to be released separately? I have no interest in the sequels.
Old 12-11-04, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redrum
can't wait to get this

Trust me...it is. Like the article says, it makes the original fit in better with the others. Visually that is. I can now watch the original without sitting there thinking, "This movie doesn't fit"
Old 12-12-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Trust me...it is. Like the article says, it makes the original fit in better with the others. Visually that is. I can now watch the original without sitting there thinking, "This movie doesn't fit"
Makes it fit with the sequels...a little "Lucasing" so to speak???

I would prefer it doesn't fit as The Matrix is far superior to the movies that came after it.

I don't care if God made the transfer...I am not going to buy a 10 disc set for one movie. Here's hoping they release a stand-alone version of it.
Old 12-12-04, 12:46 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty happy with the original version, although the new screen shots look pretty good.
Old 12-12-04, 12:59 AM

stop threadcrapping already. we all know TONS of you hate the sequels and think they're crap, and all that jazz. you don't have to keep repeating yourselves like a broken record.
Old 12-12-04, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Makes it fit with the sequels...a little "Lucasing" so to speak???

I would prefer it doesn't fit as The Matrix is far superior to the movies that came after it.

I don't care if God made the transfer...I am not going to buy a 10 disc set for one movie. Here's hoping they release a stand-alone version of it.
how the hell is it lucasing? were there cg characters added? did neo shoot first?
here's hoping they never release the first movie by itself.
Old 12-12-04, 03:57 AM
Banned

I love the new transfer, not only does it just flat out look better, but the color matches the sequel so much better and doesn't look like puke anymore.
Old 12-12-04, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by redrum
can't wait to get this

LOL. There's this feature on your television called:

1) Contrast

2) Color

3) Brightness

Use these three and you'll get the same results. Hell, you can even adjust them several times, and it will be like...watching a shitload of different Matrix versions!

The reason I say this, is because every goddamn DVD movie has its own level setting, as determined by the Krispy Kreme Image Quality Engineer who does the transfer. This is a mindless, stupid game the studios are playing, and they are duping quite a few of you.

So, if you want to maximize the movie potential, you have to play with your television settings, because each DVD has different levels of processing. It would be quite nice if the studios would have a mandatory FLAT level and you would just adjust it on your end--because everyone's tastes are different. Of course, this will never happen.

And I see we even have websites which promote the studios wanting you to buy every version they come out with, and saying, "Wow, this version is so much better than the original! OMG!"

I think we need a new J6P term for those who appreciate widescreen and understand it, but are still quite stupid when it comes to DVD movie "image quality transfers." How about J169.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-12-04 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-12-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

1) Contrast

2) Color

3) Brightness

Use these three and you'll get the same results. Hell, you can even adjust them several times, and it will be like...watching a shitload of different Matrix versions!
So using these three I can make the image twice as crisp and look 10 times sharper than the original disc? That is some TV you have there. Did you look at those shots? The new one is so much clearer, makes it look like you are viewing the original disc through a dirty window.
Old 12-12-04, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

1) Contrast

2) Color

3) Brightness

The reason I say this, is because every goddamn DVD movie has its own level setting, as determined by the Krispy Kreme Image Quality Engineer who does the transfer. This is a mindless, stupid game the studios are playing, and they are duping quite a few of you.

So, if you want to maximize the movie potential, you have to play with your television settings, because each DVD has different levels of processing. It would be quite nice if the studios would have a mandatory FLAT level and you would just adjust it on your end--because everyone's tastes are different. Of course, this will never happen.

And I see we even have websites which promote the studios wanting you to buy every version they come out with, and saying, "Wow, this version is so much better than the original! OMG!"

I think we need a new J6P term for those who appreciate widescreen and understand it, but are still quite stupid when it comes to DVD movie "image quality transfers." How about J169.
Which begs the question why movies never look like the behind the scenes footage. ANSWER: Post-production.
Old 12-12-04, 11:34 AM

i bought the box set for the first movie and bonus features basically...and i got it for a really good price in Toronto. $50 bucks, no tax. even cheaper than Walmart.

and so far, i haven't spot any difference between the old DVD and the new DVD.
Old 12-12-04, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tinlunlau
i bought the box set for the first movie and bonus features basically...and i got it for a really good price in Toronto. $50 bucks, no tax. even cheaper than Walmart.

and so far, i haven't spot any difference between the old DVD and the new DVD.
Here's a hint...open your eyes.

On the other hand, are you color-blind?

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-12-04 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-12-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by tinlunlau
...and so far, i haven't spot any difference between the old DVD and the new DVD.
What are you watching it on? I have a decent 27" TV w/component and I see a world of a difference from the start.

Look at the scene with the single blinking cursor in the upper left corner (while hearing the phone call). In the old version, the rest of the screen looks kinda fuzzy grey.

In the new version I can actually see the Matrix "waterfall" visual effect.
Old 12-12-04, 03:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
people are only complaining about he it used to look bc now they have this new to compare it to. but with all this "it's like watching another movie" and makes it a new experience, that is just crap.

the original transfer was and still is great compared to so many hundreds of DVD's out then and still now...and did the job for nearly 6 years. just bc they colorized it and amped up the detail slightly to make it fit better with the sequels doesn't mean the old was crap in anyway shape or form.
Old 12-12-04, 03:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tek2k
stop threadcrapping already. we all know TONS of you hate the sequels and think they're crap, and all that jazz. you don't have to keep repeating yourselves like a broken record.
no one said a thing about the sequals. at least before this post. what every one is saying. no ones is going ot buy the set just for one movie. I have the sequals they iam not going to dump that much money for one movie. its just silly imo
Old 12-12-04, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Me007gold
no one said a thing about the sequals. at least before this post.
Check the thread again. 2 posts up from tek2k's post that you quoted, brianluvdvd said: "I would prefer it doesn't fit as The Matrix is far superior to the movies that came after it."

DJ
Old 12-12-04, 04:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djtoell
Check the thread again. 2 posts up from tek2k's post that you quoted, brianluvdvd said: "I would prefer it doesn't fit as The Matrix is far superior to the movies that came after it."

DJ
a lot of movies came after it. your point
Old 12-12-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
people are only complaining about he it used to look bc now they have this new to compare it to. but with all this "it's like watching another movie" and makes it a new experience, that is just crap.

the original transfer was and still is great compared to so many hundreds of DVD's out then and still now...and did the job for nearly 6 years. just bc they colorized it and amped up the detail slightly to make it fit better with the sequels doesn't mean the old was crap in anyway shape or form.
I disagree. For the last couple of years there have been people rumbling about a new disc for The Matrix because of the picture quality. The original transfer was good for its time, but can hardly be considered great now. And i'm as far from a videophile as they come. Calling it a new experience is definitely an exaggeration, but its still quite a difference in my eyes.
Old 12-12-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

J169 huh?

I could adjust my TV all damn day and I while I could change the color I don't think I'd get it looking as good as it does in this transfer.

I didn't buy this set just for the transfer so hopefully DVD Polizei won't think I'm a total moron like he has made so many people out to be. I'm all for the extras and commentaries too. I find it hard to believe that everyone who thought the first film had a bad transfer was just too dumb or lazy to tweak their TV. Maybe I should break out my calibration DVDs and adjust some things. Then I'll never suffer from a poor transfer again and it'll be like having a new TV.

My thanks again goes out to DVD Polizei for educating me and everyone else here.
Old 12-12-04, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
J169 huh?

I could adjust my TV all damn day and I while I could change the color I don't think I'd get it looking as good as it does in this transfer.

I didn't buy this set just for the transfer so hopefully DVD Polizei won't think I'm a total moron like he has made so many people out to be. I'm all for the extras and commentaries too. I find it hard to believe that everyone who thought the first film had a bad transfer was just too dumb or lazy to tweak their TV. Maybe I should break out my calibration DVDs and adjust some things. Then I'll never suffer from a poor transfer again and it'll be like having a new TV.

My thanks again goes out to DVD Polizei for educating me and everyone else here.
Me thinks DVD Polizei's rank of "DVD Talk Legend" has gone to his head.

Yeah, to think that one can fix any problem with a DVD transfer by just adjusting their TVs is amazing! Who would've thunk it?

Gee, so reality, I really didn't need to upgrade to DVD from VHS, because all I would have had to do is to ADJUST MY TV! Sorry, but this argument coming from a "Legend" is just too funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.