Reload this Page >

Godzilla films Region 1 ????

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-08-04, 11:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need these films as my husband wants to relive them with our children. As collectors, we would like to eventually own all of them. What are our best options for widescreen versions in region 1? Thank you in advance!
Old 12-08-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you want dubbed versions, or subtitled versions with Japanese audio?
Old 12-08-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Columbia Tristar has released several titles this year, in 16x9 widescreen, with the original Japanese and an English dub. Do a search for here for Godzilla, and a fella named JordanGLC usually posts about these.

Also, I believe you can go to the main DVDTalk page and there's a Godzilla ad that will show the covers of the newer titles.

Just checked DVDAficionado, there are ten announced original language titles, 2 coming out in Feb.
That's not including Godzilla 98, which for a while, was the only G film available in it's original language.
There's also a disc with three episodes of the series based on G98.

Last edited by milo bloom; 12-08-04 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Currently available in R1:

Godzilla 2000-anamorphic WS/English dub only
Godzilla Vs. Gigan-anamorphic WS/English dub & original Japanese language track
Godzilla Vs. Hedora-Anamorphic WS/English dub & original language track
Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla(1974) anamorphic WS/English dub & Original language track
Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidora anamorphic WS/English dub & original language track
Godzilla Vs. Megaguiris anamorphic WS/English dub & original language track
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (2002) anamorphic WS/English dub & original language track

If you can find the Scimitar releases you'll find:

Godzilla-1956 English language version(not sure if there was a Japanese language track for this film as it was edited for the USA and released here two years later)
Godzilla Vs. Mothra(Monster Zero)
Terror Of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla's Revenge
Son of Godzilla

Then there's the double feature disc featuring

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidora & Godzilla Vs. Mothra: The Battle for Earth. (neither of which are in WS and only feature and English language dub)

Coming on next Tues. Godzilla Tokyo, S.O.S-anamorphic WS/English dub & Original language track.

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more out there.

Last edited by buckee1; 12-08-04 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's also a double feature disc with Spacegodzilla and Destroyah, which were the last two Toho movies before G98. They are widescreen, but Eng dub only.
Old 12-09-04, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kimiakane
I need these films as my husband wants to relive them with our children. As collectors, we would like to eventually own all of them. What are our best options for widescreen versions in region 1? Thank you in advance!
I keep an updated (I think) exhaustive R1 list here:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group.../kaijudvd.html
(Sorry, but I think you have to join Yahoo Groups to see it.)

Its not only Godzilla but also Gamera, Rodan and Mothra and the other kaiju (Japanese giant monsters). I have for your convenience, highlighted in RED those DVDs that are for the most part on most kaiju fans recommended lists. Most of the recommended disks have a bright clear picture and come with 2 soundtracks: one with the original dopey English dubbing and another with the restored Japanese language track with optional English subtitles.

This should get your started.

Bob Burns
San Francisco

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!:

Sorry, I guess Yahoo won't allow direct linking.

Try this:
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/GodzillaC/files/

Then scroll down and click on a file called "kaijudvd.html"

Please let me know if this works for you.

Darn, I gotta get me some webspace...

BobB

Last edited by Gojira69; 12-09-04 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-09-04, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know if anyone knows this or not (I have a Yahoo groups membership but wasn't able to get in, either the groups are down right now, or I am having some tech. difficulties ), but I just noticed today that dvdplanet has a date for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II of Feb. 8 2005. I had not heard about this one being released so this was good news to me, now I can get rid of my Japanese VHS version . . .
Old 12-09-04, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by burninator
Don't know if anyone knows this or not (I have a Yahoo groups membership but wasn't able to get in, either the groups are down right now, or I am having some tech. difficulties ), but I just noticed today that dvdplanet has a date for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II of Feb. 8 2005. I had not heard about this one being released so this was good news to me, now I can get rid of my Japanese VHS version . . .
Sorry, I guess Yahoo won't allow direct linking.

Try this:
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/GodzillaC/files/

Then scroll down and click on a file called "kaijudvd.html"

Please let me know if this works for you.

Darn, I gotta get me some webspace...

BobB

Last edited by Gojira69; 12-09-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-09-04, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Do you want dubbed versions, or subtitled versions with Japanese audio?
Both would be best (we love to watch films in their original language), but English dub is mandatory as all three children are 4 and under and do not read at this time.
Old 12-10-04, 07:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I need these films as my husband wants to relive them with our children.
Great to hear! I attended the excellent Godzilla film festival held in San Francisco last month, and it was great to see a lot of kids in attendance. Gotta develop the next generation of G-Fans now!
Old 12-10-04, 09:50 PM

The BB in my area broke the street date for Tokyo S.O.S and Son of Godzilla, picked them both up tonight . .
Old 12-10-04, 10:37 PM

Yeah my BB broke the date on Tokyo SOS and Son of Godzilla also. Dont know what made me check the SciFi aisle, but there they were. Watched Tokyo SOS last night, but didnt pick up Son of yet, kinda wasnt in the mood to watch it.
Old 01-08-05, 10:55 PM

I have followed a few of your suggestions for Christmas and they are big hits (could anything Godzilla be anything but, right?). I also picked up the recent Gamera trilogy. Does anyone have additional suggestions on this type of movie (giant monsters) which have dubbed & sub-titled versions in the same disc(s)?
Old 01-09-05, 06:58 PM

I have followed a few of your suggestions for Christmas and they are big hits (could anything Godzilla be anything but, right?). I also picked up the recent Gamera trilogy. Does anyone have additional suggestions on this type of movie (giant monsters) which have dubbed & sub-titled versions in the same disc(s)?
Here is a list of EVERYTHING you're looking for that has been released in R1:
http://www.gojira.com/html/kaijudvd.html

Bob Burns
S.F.

Last edited by Gojira69; 01-09-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gojira69
Here is a list of EVERYTHING you're looking for that has been released in R1:
http://www.gojira.com/html/kaijudvd.html

Bob Burns
S.F.
Didn't they release a special 50th anniv. edition of Godzilla in the theaters last year? I read a review on it and they said they removed the Burns scenes. I have been waiting for this to hit DVD, but haven't seen it. Anyone know what the deal is?
Old 01-10-05, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Brewser
Didn't they release a special 50th anniv. edition of Godzilla in the theaters last year? I read a review on it and they said they removed the Burns scenes. I have been waiting for this to hit DVD, but haven't seen it. Anyone know what the deal is?
http://www.gojira.com/html/kaijudvd.html :
"Planned for 2005: Gojira (Classic Media) English subtitles, OAR"

btw, his name was Raymond Burr
Old 01-11-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original cut was released to theaters, and plays very differently and for the better. I'd like to see both versions released for posterity though.
Old 01-11-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The original cut was released to theaters, and plays very differently and for the better. I'd like to see both versions released for posterity though.
A little off-topic region-wise but, R4 through Eastern Eye Asian Cinema released a 50th anniversery edition sporting both films. 1954's Gojira & 1956's Godzilla King of The Monsters. It is a one sided disc W/Japanese DD 5.1/Mono and English subs. I picked it up from Ezydvd for about $20 US a couple of months ago. Just in case you're interested.
Old 01-11-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by buckee1
A little off-topic region-wise but, R4 through Eastern Eye Asian Cinema released a 50th anniversery edition sporting both films. 1954's Gojira & 1956's Godzilla King of The Monsters. It is a one sided disc W/Japanese DD 5.1/Mono and English subs. I picked it up from Ezydvd for about $20 US a couple of months ago. Just in case you're interested.

That looks nice!

Andrew
Old 01-26-05, 05:31 PM

Here's some encouraging information regarding Classic Media's plans:
Originally Posted by gfanikf from the Monster Zero message board
Hey guys.

Today I was able to talk to Steve Vincent and was able to garner a nice amount of information about the releases of CM's dvds

Who is Steve? Steve Vincent is the Producer for these new DVDs.

What's been done: The first thing is that all of the titles from the last pack have been re mastered into High Definition. The materials being used are ones that come from UPA vault materials not from Toho.

Release Date: The hope is by the end of the year.

Well then whats holding them up: At the moment CM is currently renegotiating rights with Toho for their products. This has been the reason for the delay. The negotiations are taking long solely because of the process itself. CM has a long-standing relationship with Toho and its more the process itself than any issues or problems.

GRA and GTTHM: He alluded to new Godzilla properties and I mentioned these names to him. I told him the info come from Toho. He didn't confirm it but I think its a pretty safe bet now that CM beyond a shadow of a doubt now own GRA and GTTHM.

Will they be Widesreen: Yes.

Will they be uncut? They should all be uncut with a possible problem with TOMG. CM is using a master provided from UPA and Steve states it was recently informed of the problems with TOMG. At the moment this is no firm info on TOMG

English or Japanese? It depends Steve mentioned the problem that some version don't match up with there Japanese counterpart. Steve mentioned it would be difficult in creating a sound master. However, HE did state that it is possible for a dual disc version of English version on one side and Japanese on the other. Nothing firm on this yet. I did let him know how dubs by Titra are highly valued by fans.

Information in the future and extras: Steve had vistied many Godzilla sites (Barry's). I let him know that they were out of date and gave him the name and web address of both Monster Zero and Henshin Online. I also invited him to join the message board so that he could get feedback from the fans and to keep us in the the loop. I mentioned how the guys from H!O could provide some great extras and cross-promotion helped he revealed that many fans including some in the NY region and past licensees have been offering extras. However he did seem interested in cross promotion via H!O. I mentioned that he should try and speak to August, Bob J, or Keith at the site. Since he has the site address and there is an easy contact info on the site I figured it shouldn't be hard to get in touch with them I explained how they are responsible for a lot of in dpeth coverage of G and how they do reviews and help with festivals.

He seemed very receptive to the idea and stated that they would like to once negotiations are wrapped up with Toho so more info can be posted. He even express frustration for the Usatoday story on G54 on DVD, because at the moment he couldn't give any info the DVD.
Steve stated that they really want to go to the extra mile with these release and put money into them. He mentioned how they are competing with Columbia (I think he meant Sony) dvds. He said they want to be better then those DVD's.

Well there is the info guys. There is no need to do any more phone calls it worked .

Please post this on other boards.

Ian
Old 03-25-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from dvd bliss

10.11.05 from shout factory

Godzilla Set- Godzilla Vs Monster Zero, Godzilla Vs Mothra, Godzilla's Revenge, King Of The Monsters, Terror Of Mechagodzilla
Old 04-01-05, 08:47 AM

GaryT from MonsterZero (whom I believe is also a member of this forum) has heard some information about these discs. Care to share, Gary?
Old 04-02-05, 07:34 AM

I really wish to hell that we'd get a box like this in region 1...

why does all the overseas regions get nifty stuff like this and we don't?
Old 04-02-05, 10:10 AM

I know what you mean -- I saw this a month or 2 ago in a forum or website and was all excited until I noticed it was not Region 1 and was sold out.

But the good news is (from in these forums) that the original Godzilla is atleast being released in other regions, so Region 1 hopefully is not far behind. Plus a new movie is out or on its way "Godzilla Final Wars" (if not to DVD atleast to the theaters). I beleive it may be released in Japan already. I am looking forward to this, even if it only gets shown in the "independent" theaters like recently the uncut (non-Raymond Burr) Godzilla was.
Old 04-02-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
why does all the overseas regions get nifty stuff like this and we don't?

Because only Japan has a large amount of collectors wealthy enough and obsessive enough to make a $1000.00 DVD set commercially viable.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.