Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Doves album "Some Cities" announced

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know how many Doves fans are on this forum, but I think they're phenomenal. "Lost Souls" and "Last Broadcast" were easily my albums of the year during their respective releases.

Billboard.com gives a March 1st release date for the US while the UK get it a bit earlier on February 21st, according to nme.com. Nme also announced a date for the first single, "Black and White Town" for Feb 7th (I'm sure we won't get this in the US, but maybe an extra disc on the album itself like with Last Broadcast?)
Old 12-08-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Good to hear. I've been waiting for a new album. I'm also glad to see that it's getting released here. I picked up Lost Sides, the b-sides collection while in London, but I don't think that one ever got released here.

Hopefully they'll tour as well. It's been too long.
Old 12-08-04, 12:53 PM

yeah, I live down in Florida and got cheated last time when they were supposed to play Orlando and it got cancelled for some reason.

Lost Sides has some great songs. Theres a really hard to find album by their old group SubSub called "The Delta Tapes" where a lot of those b-sides (mostly the instrumentals) are originally from. If you ever get a chance to hear it online, many of those songs have very Doves feel that earlier SubSub stuff doesn't. There was also a SubSub single called "This Time I'm Not Wrong" which practically could be a Doves track with Bernard Sumner's vocals.
Old 12-08-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Man, I didn't even know they have a b-sides disc. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-08-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news, thanks for the update. It's been too long since I've heard from these guys.
Old 12-09-04, 11:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
given the really bad money conversion rate nowadays - I think I can wait 9 days and wait for the US edition. Anyword on what the first UK single will be?
Old 12-09-04, 11:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
Good to hear. I've been waiting for a new album. I'm also glad to see that it's getting released here. I picked up Lost Sides, the b-sides collection while in London, but I don't think that one ever got released here.

I thought this was initially a double disc - I'll check my copy when I get home from work.

also remember to pick up the fantastic DVD (live performance + videos and other goodies:

Last edited by Giles; 12-09-04 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-09-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Achtung
Great news, thanks for the update. It's been too long since I've heard from these guys.
Old 12-09-04, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
given the really bad money conversion rate nowadays - I think I can wait 9 days and wait for the US edition. Anyword on what the first UK single will be?

The first single is Black and White Town, released on Feb. 7th. http://www.nme.com/news/110762.htm

I can't wait for this album, I love their first two albums.
Old 12-09-04, 04:54 PM

I thought this was initially a double disc - I'll check my copy when I get home from work.

also remember to pick up the fantastic DVD (live performance + videos and other goodies:

I know intital shipments of Lost Sides had a bonus remix disc with some remixes from various Last Broadcast singles.
Old 12-09-04, 04:57 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Yup some of the remixes on the bonus disc are good.

I agree with Giles though, the exchange rate sucks, but I still ordered my Holy Bible Reissue from amazon uk
Old 12-09-04, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Yup some of the remixes on the bonus disc are good.

I agree with Giles though, the exchange rate sucks, but I still ordered my Holy Bible Reissue from amazon uk
They just announced a US release date for Holy Bible in Feburary. If you have a multi-region dvd player, I guess it doesn't matter. No US date yet for Lifeblood from what I've seen.
Old 12-09-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tell me about it. I'll actually be in London in Feb and I'm not even going to waste my time CD shopping. Thanks for the heads up on the Dove disc... look forward to it.

(btw, I was in London in '92 and spent $60 on two Trio discs... now I can find them on Ebay for 99 cents. Ouch)
Old 12-09-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, it was released as both a single disc and a 2-disc set. I know because when I was in London, I'd forgotten that it was supposed to be 2 CDs, so I picked up the single disc one and opened it. Then I found and bought the 2-disc at a different store. Oh well, it was vacation. Money is supposed to be wasted on vacation.

And I agree about the DVD. There's a lot of cool stuff on it. It was definitely worth it.
Old 12-10-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very cool news! I saw them a few years ago at an outdoor festival....sat through a bunch of nu-metal bands to see them....was definitely worth the over-priced beer and sunburn to see them!

Doves fans....you may also like Porcupine Tree...another excellent band.
Old 12-10-04, 10:31 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

The brand new single from Doves gets an exclusive first airing on Steve Lamacq's Radio 1 show this coming Monday, December 13th. Tune in between 9pm and 1am (GMT) to hear Black And White Town in full.

If you can't listen in on Monday, Black And White Town will also be available as an exclusive stream on nme.com from Tuesday (14th) and you can buy it as a digital download from the following Monday, December 20th from doves.net.

Jez, Jimi and Andy have now finished work on their new album Some Cities, the genuinely long-awaited follow up to 2002's The Last Broadcast.

Black And White Town gets a full release on February 7th, 2005 followed by Some Cities on February 21st.

Be sure to check out next weeks NME for more details on the album release and an exclusive announcement of Doves 2005 tour.

www.doves.net

www.heavenly100.com
Old 12-14-04, 12:14 PM

Here's a link to hear "Black and White Town". It was played on Steve Lamacq show yesterday and should be achived on the BBC site for the week. Its played twice on the show (theres a tracklist on the site) but the easiest way is to fastforward to the last 5 minutes of the show since its also the last song (they have buttons that skip 5 or 15 minutes of the broadcast). I think before the first airing they have a interview with a member of the Doves but I haven't heard it yet.

The song itself is excellent. It has great, Motown like drums, definately more of an uptempo number.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/stevelamacq/
Old 12-14-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Thanks for the info - I have been wondering when they would release their next album.

Two of my friends drove all the way to Boulder to see them a couple of years ago - I so pissed that I couldn't go.
Old 04-01-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought this album and their previous one (last Broadcast).

I love it when you discover a new band that completely kicks ass. I hadn't heard these guys before and they're excellent! Both are great albums.
Old 04-01-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed. I've been into them for years, and love the new album. Pickup their debut Lost Souls when you have the chance.
Old 06-14-05, 02:15 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Well just got back from the rescheduled SF show, and it was unbelievable, probably one of the best shows this year for me. They played pretty much every song I wanted to hear with the exception of sulphur man. And they are such a tight group.

Everything was perfect. No idea how this is only my first time seeing them live, I've had all the cds since release, but somehow they escaped me live.