Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox HD Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox HD Question

I have a Xbox HD Question. I currently have my Xbox hooked up via a S-video cable and am curious how much of a boost the HD Pack really is. Is the HD Pack the only way to get 16:9? I noticed that all of my games are 480p and how does this effect my decision?
Old 12-07-04, 08:41 PM

You can get 16:9 by selecting widescreen on the xbox console video option screen. Widescreen has nothing to do with HD.

The only way to get 480p, however, is to get the hidef pack. And yes, it makes a HUGE difference. When Halo 2 was released witht he glitch not allowing 480p I had to run it in 480i until they patched the game, and once I went to 480p it was a really shocking difference.
Old 12-07-04, 11:20 PM

Hmm.. I've set my Xbox to WS before my posting and after my posting but I've seen no change. The only way I get "WS" is to use my TV to auto-adjust. Does the game matter b/c I've only tried 2 games which support 16:9 according to hdgames.net (NCAA Football 2005 and ESPN NFL 2k5). Am I missing something? Thanks for the help... I guess I'll keep my HD Pack afterall.
Old 12-08-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The game matters. Most aren't made for 16:9. I don't know about the two you mention. Does it say it on the back of the box?
Old 12-08-04, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Is there a difference in how much you can see while playing HALO 2 in WS? I'm always getting fucked by players who come up from the back or side in SLAYER games while playing in 4:3.
Old 12-08-04, 09:44 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by sentineles
I have a Xbox HD Question. I currently have my Xbox hooked up via a S-video cable
Does the s-video cable make a big difference compared to the composite video cables?

Last edited by Toilet Remnant; 12-08-04 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-08-04, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by jabbas
When Halo 2 was released witht he glitch not allowing 480p I had to run it in 480i until they patched the game, and once I went to 480p it was a really shocking difference.
I was under the impression that the problem with 480p only happened with some TVs... How can I tell whether it is running correctly on my TV? I'm not getting any clipping of the HUD, so I assumed I was fine. Are there any screencaps of 480i vs 480p?
Old 12-08-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I had a problem with my tv. Sony. But to my recollection it only clipped stuff in multiplayer. Works fine since the update. to bungie for fixing it so quick.
Old 12-08-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Is there a difference in how much you can see while playing HALO 2 in WS? I'm always getting fucked by players who come up from the back or side in SLAYER games while playing in 4:3.
Not really. I've got a Toshiba 50" widescreen TV with the Hi-Def pack and my gun takes up the same amount of space on the right-hand side as it did playing on a 4:3 tv at my in-laws house. That's the only way I could really tell a difference between the two.

The Master Chief just has shitty peripheral vision.
Old 12-08-04, 02:23 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a 60" tv recently and playing halo on this sucker can be pretty harsh. I can get 'eyeball aches' from them darting accross the screen all the time. And no its not a DLP giving me rainbow headaches.

but YES the HD pack makes this thing look really sweet!
Old 12-09-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BeanDip Says "I eat n00bs"

Originally Posted by sentineles
I have a Xbox HD Question. I currently have my Xbox hooked up via a S-video cable and am curious how much of a boost the HD Pack really is. Is the HD Pack the only way to get 16:9? I noticed that all of my games are 480p and how does this effect my decision?
okay the HD pack is great. it makes a big difference you can see with your nice little eyes if you have it set up right. most people don't know but the xbox can be set to display "dashboard" in HD along with the games, the games will auto to the highest, but most games only support 480p. i have to say though it made a hell of a difference on my LCD it is twice as sharp now great stuff. but i only play halo and halo2 and a couple others which all use 480p. here check this out they do a much better job of explaining.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/ha...hboardinHD.htm
Old 12-09-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BeanDip says "I eat n00bs"

Originally Posted by Draven
Not really. I've got a Toshiba 50" widescreen TV with the Hi-Def pack and my gun takes up the same amount of space on the right-hand side as it did playing on a 4:3 tv at my in-laws house. That's the only way I could really tell a difference between the two.

The Master Chief just has shitty peripheral vision.
WORD!!! you'd think being a cyborg and all he'd have some sort of camera on the back of his head or something. oh well i guess that's what 7.1 is for
Old 12-09-04, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Toilet Remnant
Does the s-video cable make a big difference compared to the composite video cables?
Yes it does. I upgraded before I went HD and there was a huge difference. I purchased a non-MS cable for this which had 3 plugs (for each system). Easily worth the $15 or so I paid for it.