Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivāle - Season 1 reruns on HBO (HD)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnivāle - Season 1 reruns on HBO (HD)

I know the show comes out on the 7th on DVD, well HBO (HD) is reruning it before S2 starts. I had never seen the show but decided to catch the first episode tonight and its pretty bad ass. Very different from everything else Ive seen on TV. The best thing (besides the acting) is the beautiful cinematography! Im a history nut, and damn this show looked good.

Favorite part: When Ben heals the little girl and everything around him dies. Than she runs off and the crops keep dying. Very cool stuff.
Old 12-07-04, 09:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I noticed this 5 minutes before last night's episode starts. I know I missed some details when I initially watched the series. Thus, I'll be tuning in for the encore.

FYI - HBO is airing this M-W at 10:00 Central for the next month.
Old 12-07-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah I noticed this last night as well so I recorded the HD broadcast on the DVR for later viewing.
I guess this repeat showing is why Carnivale did not show up on digital cable "On Demand" as Deadwood did.

I saw this week where BB is listing the Carnivale box set for $80.
Kinda steep I thought so I guess I'll have to be content with this reviewing on HBO.
Old 12-07-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had watched this thing live in HD when it first aired and wasn't sure how it would play a second time through when I had to review it. While I enjoyed it the first time, it was even better watching a second time. I'm not sure if it was the added depth I was getting from the scenes or the ability to watch them back-to-back in a sitting. I suspect it was both. Regardless, if you watched it the first time through, I'd suggest catching these encores in preparation for the upcoming second season. I know I had forgotten some stuff during the break and was glad to get caught back up.

das
Old 12-07-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil L.
Yeah I noticed this last night as well so I recorded the HD broadcast on the DVR for later viewing.
I guess this repeat showing is why Carnivale did not show up on digital cable "On Demand" as Deadwood did.
I'd expect it to show up On Demand sometime soon, but I got lucky and saw it on the schedule last night in time to record it. Season 2 is coming up soon and even though I was frequently frustrated with season 1 I definitely recommend watching the reruns or DVDs before season 2 starts
Old 12-08-04, 09:18 AM

A second viewing of this show should be mandatory!

I've only re-watched the first two episodes thus far (ep 3 is on tonight) and have already noticed several things I either did not notice or forgot about during my initial viewing.
Old 12-08-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geofferson
A second viewing of this show should be mandatory!

I've only re-watched the first two episodes thus far (ep 3 is on tonight) and have already noticed several things I either did not notice or forgot about during my initial viewing.
Yup, same here.
Old 12-08-04, 02:30 PM

Saw ep 2 last night, my friend called during the last 20 mins and I had to cut her off No worries, I called her right after the show and explained

Anyway, the show was pretty good. Not as good as the first, but interesting. It looks like that WWI guy may be Bens dad, that zombie chick coming to life for a moment was cool, so was that non existant storage car. Clancy, the preacher, is very cool. I liked the vision he created to show some power. The self whipping was kinda cheesy though cause he was barely wacking himself to get the scars that were visible.

The next show looks awesome though and I cant wait. So the show will only air Mon - Wed? That means ep 4 wont be shown till next monday?
Old 12-08-04, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
The next show looks awesome though and I cant wait. So the show will only air Mon - Wed? That means ep 4 wont be shown till next monday?
That's my understanding.
Old 12-09-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Yeah, it's just as good, if not better, the second time through.

Superb casting job on this. All of the actors play their parts well and are suited to their characters. Michael Anderson is incredible as Samson, as is Clancy Brown as Rev. Crowe.

The cinematography, set designs, and costumes are all top-notch. It's hard to believe this show was shot recently. Everything just looks so authentic it's like you're actually looking in on the 1930s.

Even though I'm balking at the high DVD price, I might have to use part of my Christmas bonus to buy the set to support the series.
Old 12-10-04, 01:41 PM

If I get this on DVD (which Im kinda considering), it wont be till I find it cheap.

I am enjoying it so far, but by looking at the previews for season 2, it looks like nothing went down during S1. So far, it seems like their wont be much of a finally, or a big payoff. Either way, Im still watching!
Old 12-14-04, 09:27 AM

Episode 4 aired last night. Did anyone watch?
Old 12-14-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah I did.

"Two bucks?!"

Jonsey is now all pissed at Samson after finding "Management's" wagon empty.

That was some dust storm!
Old 12-14-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I am enjoying it so far, but by looking at the previews for season 2, it looks like nothing went down during S1. So far, it seems like their wont be much of a finally, or a big payoff. Either way, Im still watching!
I know many people were frustrated with season one, thinking that the extremely slow pace would be "redeemed" by some huge payoff... The events of the final episode or two may be marginally "bigger" than the first ten, but only slightly, and the two seperate threads are still more-or-less seperate...

This show is the slowest thing I've ever *loved.* You've got to actually *enjoy* the characters, the feel, the look, because there is no action. And yet it feels meticulously planned, not like X-Files or Twin Peaks, where you knew the mythology ultimately had no answers but was just being made up on the fly...
Old 12-14-04, 02:20 PM

Ahhh, well thats cool cause I think Im all caught up in the story line now.

I caught last nights ep of course and damn was it good. Best one so far. The Sandstorm was awesome as Ive never seen a movie or show with a storm that good. Though I did wonder why so much dust was flung yet the car that chick with the comatose mom was driving wasnt full of dust inside (windows left down)

That part with Samson was great, i knew he was going to be pissed. I didnt know management was in a car there with them. I thought they talked by phone or something. Than I thought Samson was just talking to himself in there, I didnt get why they kept showing a curtain. Thats an interesting twist though, I cant wait to see what happens.

Oh and I have one big question. WHY was that chick with the comatose mom just out there sitting around? Was it cause she just wanted somebody to come cause she wanted some deep dickin or what? Than I made a comment to my sister when she was talking to her mom when she returned and she said something like "Dont worry, he didnt know we was married, or I told him he was married." Did I get that right? I didnt get what she meant and if I missed it, please tell me, but if it comes out later, tell me just to look out for it.

It looks like that blidn guy (can you tell I dont know everyones names yet?) wants Bens powers or something. I just wonder how he knows so much about what Ben can do. Oh and Clancy was great once again. When he gave that speech to his sister, I got lost in it cause it came so clear and fast and strong, I was like "whoa!"

Next show looks like itll be great.
Old 12-14-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my opinion, the finale is "huge" within the progression of the show and the characters. It's just not a "payoff", per se, but really, what is there to pay off at this stage anyway. What does happen, however, is incredibly significant.

Don't read the spoiler, Ravenous (or anyone else who hasn't seen all the episodes):

Spoiler:
Between Apollonia trying to take out Sophie because "she's the one" and Ben killing Lodz, being goaded into it by Management after insisting "I ain't like you", that's some pretty major development. And we did get some payoff with Justin. He's a full-on Big Bad now, with Balthus being shown his greatest evil as saving Justin, and Justin's eyes going black when Balthus cannot kill him. Also, Justin's "making a deal with the devil" remark to Dolan, further indicating that he's progressed from fearing his power and trying to do God's will to realizing his true nature and embracing it.

das
Old 12-15-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In last night's (12/14) ep, it looks like they should have listened to Samson and not done the "blow off".
Old 12-15-04, 04:37 PM

FUCK FUCK FUCK
Who here has Paragon cable? Are they fucking shit like mine is? These ASSHOLES will shut off the cable for hours at a time at any given time during the day and its ALWAYS during what I want. I dont watch TV alot but Im sick and tired of this shit. They cut off the intro of carnival for me up till the end of the credits, AND the last 15 minutes, right when the fight broke out. I was SO fucking pissed

Luckily, checked the other 10 HBOs and it was being shown like at 2am. So I caught it, but not in SS or HD fucking Paragon Cable. Anyway, it was a great episode last night. Though I do wish they explained that whole Ben in the Mine thing. Also, it seems like all the Carnival goers were miners. In the intro, Justin says Babylon is a town of demons, so Im guessing they were ghosts or something.

Tonights ep looks awesome. I cant wait to see it. As long as the cable compant doesnt fuck me (can you tell they do this to me alot and Im so pissed?)
Old 12-16-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil L.
In last night's (12/14) ep, it looks like they should have listened to Samson and not done the "blow off".
Interesting bit of trivia... the stripper that did the "blow off" was singer Meatloaf's daughter.
Old 12-20-04, 03:03 PM

Just a reminder that episode 7 airs tonight!
Old 12-21-04, 01:36 AM

I caught it (and the last) and it was a pretty good episode.

That last one was great. I loved the ghost "phenomenom" that was going on and I liked the ending alot. Though I think they should have showed the Irish guy as still alive, to show he was a ghost to begin with... I mean he was a ghost right? And that fat chick was Meatloafs daughter? I didnt know that! Is she the one married to Scott Ian?

In tonights, that Alexi kid (Father Justin) looked freaky when he was yelling in Russian. I thought he was gonna pull a passion of the christ and turn all ugly and shit. That twist of them being the kids was kind of cool. But what was the point? He just remembered it before he jumped from the bridge to show his powers of breaking a guys neck with his mind? Either way, it was a cool little story.

Next week looks pretty cool. After the next week preview, they always show a preview for Season 2, and it looks like that Scudders is pretty damn important. I cant wait to see what the deal over him is.
Old 12-21-04, 08:50 AM

In tonights, that Alexi kid (Father Justin) looked freaky when he was yelling in Russian. I thought he was gonna pull a passion of the christ and turn all ugly and shit. That twist of them being the kids was kind of cool. But what was the point? He just remembered it before he jumped from the bridge to show his powers of breaking a guys neck with his mind? Either way, it was a cool little story.

Next week looks pretty cool. After the next week preview, they always show a preview for Season 2, and it looks like that Scudders is pretty damn important. I cant wait to see what the deal over him is.
Last night's episode was great. I remember I had quite a bit of questions when I watched during its initial run, so seeing it a second time I was able to pick up on much more. However, I still do not really know what the point was of the backstory regarding Brother Justin and his sister as kids. I have the same question as you...did he not remember that he has 'evil' powers? Because when he phones his sister, it's as if he never knew he did.

Agreed that season 2's previews look awesome!
Old 12-22-04, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Last night's episode was great. I remember I had quite a bit of questions when I watched during its initial run, so seeing it a second time I was able to pick up on much more. However, I still do not really know what the point was of the backstory regarding Brother Justin and his sister as kids. I have the same question as you...did he not remember that he has 'evil' powers? Because when he phones his sister, it's as if he never knew he did.

Agreed that season 2's previews look awesome!

Well I thought that at the end, when he questions his sister, I fugured he questions that she always knew he had evil in him, not the powers, just evil. And Im willing to bet If I saw everything again, alot of things would be clearer (this happened with Sopranos, Deadwood aswell) too. Ive taken up to reading the episode description on HBO.com of the episode I last saw before each new episode just to make sure I was clear on everything. Oddly enough, alot of stuff does get cleared up just by reading it!

Last nights ep was great also! I thought Justin was going to get all the patients as followers as somehting and that intro with Ben missing arm and legs was from left field. I was also surprised to see Jonesy cry when that chick was going to fuck him, pretty powerful scene that looks like will lead to trouble, and that crab girl was interesting. I cant wait to see what that symbol on the ring is all about and why Ben got flashes of something resembling the crusades.

Im digging this show more and more!
Old 12-24-04, 01:06 PM

Man, I just realized that I'm flying back from CES the same day Season 2 premieres. That's not fair! Agh!
Old 12-27-04, 04:10 PM

Just a heads-up that episode 10 is on tonight!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.