Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Newest superhero movie: Sub-Mariner!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Did anyone glance at this in today's USA Today? Apparently, Chris Columbus has been signed on to direct. Opinions?

Last edited by The_Infidel; 12-06-04 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sub-Mariner is just as bad as Aquaman. I always wondered what good they are on ground.
Old 12-06-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chris Columbus seems a curious choice for doing a super hero flick, especially the Sub-Mariner.

BTW, was there any mention anything about the Rock being up for the part. I recall reading something, somewhere, about him wanting the part, or being considered for it, or something.

Give the Rock some arched eyebrows, pointy ears, ankle wings, and a pair of chainmail speedos, and he would certainly look the part, or at least look the way Subs was draw...back in the day.
Old 12-06-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Sub-Mariner is just as bad as Aquaman. I always wondered what good they are on ground.
Namor has (nearly Hulk/Thing/Thor) superstrength and flight powers.

From the Marvel Directory :
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 320 lbs.
Eyes: Blue-gray
Hair: Black

Known superhuman powers: Namor can lift about 85 tons at peak capacity, although his strength degrades the longer he is out of water, to a minimum of 40 tons. He is an amphibian, and breathes water and air with equal facility. Namor also can fly for several hours at peak speeds of 60 mph before tiring. In addition, he possesses limited invulnerability.

Aquaman is a wimp, recent re-writes non-withstanding!

I like the idea. Would like a Thor movie too!
Old 12-06-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The shouts of "yeah!" are getting drowned by the crickets...
Old 12-07-04, 01:48 AM

What's next a Spider-Ham movie? or maybe SuperDuperMan
Old 12-07-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Always like the Submariner. The Rock would be an interesting choice.
Old 12-07-04, 09:50 AM

I wanted a LOTR style Thor movie!! Submariner could be interesting....we'll have to see.
Old 12-07-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JJE-187
What's next a Spider-Ham movie?
I'd see that. Doesn't Chris Columbus usually direct family oriented movies? I agree that he seems like an odd choice.
Old 12-07-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JJE-187
What's next a Spider-Ham movie?
Old 12-07-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
*yawn* First bets on this thing never happening. You can claim that super heroes and comic book properties are hot, but the truth is it is only the "mainstream" ones that will ever make it beyond a cult following. (OK, now you can start throwing out things like Blade whom 95% of the movie-going public doesn't realize is a comic book.)

Maybe I should word this better . . . comic book properties have become hot due to the creative writing and new stories that they bring to the table. I guess my comments are more directed to super heroes than items like Ghost World (as an example). Reality is that most of the people who spent money and made X-Men and Spider-Man successful don't even know or care about the lesser known X-Men and Spidey villains such as the Vulture. If it isn't mainstream, it isn't going to happen.
Old 12-07-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Submariner a strong enough character for his own movie at this point? Seems smarter to put him in the Fantastic 4 movie, and see what kind of interest he draws there. If they adapted Grant Morrison's 1 2 3 4 from last year, might be interesting.
Old 12-07-04, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
*yawn* First bets on this thing never happening. You can claim that super heroes and comic book properties are hot, but the truth is it is only the "mainstream" ones that will ever make it beyond a cult following. (OK, now you can start throwing out things like Blade whom 95% of the movie-going public doesn't realize is a comic book.)

Maybe I should word this better . . . comic book properties have become hot due to the creative writing and new stories that they bring to the table. I guess my comments are more directed to super heroes than items like Ghost World (as an example). Reality is that most of the people who spent money and made X-Men and Spider-Man successful don't even know or care about the lesser known X-Men and Spidey villains such as the Vulture. If it isn't mainstream, it isn't going to happen.
I agree to an extent. For example, if not for my history with comics, I would probably not see X-Men or II. As it was, I loved the movies, but could not pretend to evaluate them irrespective of my historical association with the franchise. For example, I Robot, and the upcoming Hitchikers Guide...., have no prior meaning to me, and hold little interest. I may end up seeing them due to word of mouth, but as Will Smith irks the living shit out of me, the former is somewhat doubtful.

That said, I think Spiderman transcends geekdom, and people will see any film, regardless of the villian's popularity to mainstream America. Doc Ock and GG were no better known to the mainstream than The Vulture.

Re: the topic - SubMariner has a history with fanboys only.
Old 12-07-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
So which actor is willing to spend the entire movie wearing nothing but spock ears and tiny, green briefs?
Old 12-07-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I only want to see Namor involved with an Invaders movie.
Old 12-07-04, 06:45 PM

I could see Jude Law in the role provided he bulks up a bit.
Old 12-07-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by chente
I could see Jude Law in the role provided he bulks up a bit.

yeah, because we have learned that his name alone could open a movie... oh wait...
Old 12-07-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I only want to see Namor involved with an Invaders movie.

But he'll probably end up looking like he stepped out of the aquatic version of the Matrix.
Old 12-08-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Is Submariner a strong enough character for his own movie at this point? Seems smarter to put him in the Fantastic 4 movie, and see what kind of interest he draws there.
I agree. To be honest, I don't know why studios don't have more cameos in Superhero movies.
Old 12-08-04, 07:55 AM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
Will Namorita have a cameo? Will it be pre-mutation or post-mutation?

Old 12-08-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Does he have a submarine for a head? Does his girlfriend tell him "dive, dive" when going at it.
Old 12-08-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never picked up a Sub Mariner comic book in my life, and haven't heard much about them either. Does he even have any real defining enemies or story lines that the majority of people would instantly know as his?

And I doubt this is the same Invaders as referred to above (I assume the aforementioned refers to the WW II super hero team), but I would like to see the invaders story line brought to film that was on the cover of one of the 1960's comics:

I just hope we do get to see some of his WWII origins in the movie.
Old 12-08-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Quasimodo
Would like a Thor movie too!
Big word. Thor would be sweet, especially if they set it back in his more "legendary" times.
Old 12-08-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I agree. To be honest, I don't know why studios don't have more cameos in Superhero movies.
Because the rights are split between different studios. As much as fanboys might love seeing Wolverine for a few seconds in Spider-Man or the Hulk smashing the Thing, there would be tons of legal red tape.

Also, what if you stick a Submariner cameo in the Fantastic Four movie, but by the time they get around to making a Submariner they want a bigger name actor, or to go in a different direction?
Old 12-08-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Because the rights are split between different studios. As much as fanboys might love seeing Wolverine for a few seconds in Spider-Man or the Hulk smashing the Thing, there would be tons of legal red tape.
So what's stopping a cameo of Bullseye in X-Men? It would make sense since after his recovery, his skeleton was laced with adamantium by Dark Wind.

Or Wolverine/Elektra...

Or X-men vs Fantastic Four...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.