Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rumor: BBV Closing Trade-In Accounts for Fraudulant Activities

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 01:47 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Rumor: BBV Closing Trade-In Accounts for Dishonest Activities

My friend's brother-in-law works at a Blockbuster Video, and he said that they were closing the trading accounts of the people who took advantage of the Trade 3 Games in get any Previous Viewed Game for $10 deal and then took the game to another Gamerush location and got $35 for it in trade in value.

Example, someone took a bunch of PSOne games in and with the trade in got Fable for $10, and then went to another location and traded that straight in for $35 credit.

That's called fraud folks.

I'm not pointing fingers... just wanted to give y'all a heads up.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 12-06-04 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
How is it fraud?
I'm not asking as a smartass, but based on what you're saying, I don't necessarily see a problem with it.

Store A says Give us 3 games, we'll give you another game for 10 bucks.
Store B, which happens to be a subsidiary of Store A, says Trade in this game [title of game you bought for 10 bucks] for 35 bucks trade credit.

They certainly have the right to refuse any trade they want, but to call it fraud is misleading and disingenuous, imho.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 12-06-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 01:54 PM

Not sure... just what I heard.

Maybe fraud is the wrong word... or too harsh.
Old 12-06-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, okay.
If that's their business decision, I might disagree with it, but it's their right to close whoever's account they want to. If they closed my account and called it fraud or something, I'd be pissed, but I'd vote with my dollars [well, i already do--haven't spent money at BB in years].

I apologize, please don't think I was shooting the messenger : )
Old 12-06-04, 01:58 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like they dug their own grave. They should have clarified their policies like GameStop or EB. They ownly allow games from the current systems(PS2, Xbox, Game Cube, the various gameboys).

They are probably uset because they lost some money by people making use of their own trade-in policies. But to punish those people because of that is wrong and could cause them more problems from customer loyalty and word of mouth.
Old 12-06-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
This doesn't really have anything to do with it but...

How do you find local Gamerushes? Are they in regular BBV yet and do they have the same trade in deal? I tried the website but the only way you can search is via a zip code. Are there any in FL yet?
Old 12-06-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So what's wrong? I see nothing wrong...
Old 12-06-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I might be one of the people who's accounts they are closing. I haven't been in awhile so I will have to go and check tomorrow. However, I wasn't told by any Game Rush employee that I could not trade back in the game I bought for $10. It would be nice if they posted that policy somewhere. I also traded mine right back in at the same store I bought them. If I'm not violating a posted rule I don't see how I am being fraudulant. I took in 9 games to trade total for this promo (not on the same day). I Bought 3 used games for $30 with those 9 and played them awhile and traded them back, got another used game for $10 and then traded it back a few days later.

They needed to let me know up front that the games I was getting for $10 could not be traded back in. I was just taking full advantage of the deal and it isn't that much different from the extra $5 a game they were giving for awhile.

I'm actually a bit pissed I'm being accused of basically stealing from them. Did it not occur to any of those geniuses that came up with this promotion that we might trade back in the games we got for $10.

If my account is closed that is fine. I still have $100 on a gift card and I can spend that without needing an account. I will just sell my used games on Ebay from now on and take my game buying business to Target or Best Buy.

I love how I spend over $600 at Game Rush the past two months and now I feel like a thief.
Old 12-06-04, 10:58 PM

Okay... first off, I said it was a rumor. He didn't say that any accounts have been closed... and it would be your trade-account status taht would be closed. You could still rent and buy stuff, you just couldn't trade with BBV anymore.

And darkside, personally I don't see anything wrong with you did. How you've outlined your use if perfectly logical in my opinion. What this person did was blatantly jip the store out of $25 (the difference).

And the person that I was talking to wasn't referring to the BBV on Jones Maltsberger and Thousand Oaks... it was on the Northwest Side of town some where.
Old 12-06-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
How do you find local Gamerushes?
Their website?
Old 12-07-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Okay... first off, I said it was a rumor. He didn't say that any accounts have been closed... and it would be your trade-account status taht would be closed. You could still rent and buy stuff, you just couldn't trade with BBV anymore.

And darkside, personally I don't see anything wrong with you did. How you've outlined your use if perfectly logical in my opinion. What this person did was blatantly jip the store out of $25 (the difference).
OK, here we go again . . . there was absolutely no fraud involved at all (the guy did not pick up the game off the shelf and then try to trade it in as his own). Blockbuster's policies were followed by the customer 100%. This guy did not "blatantly jip the store." He conducted his business transactions according to their promotions and policies. So now Block is taking lessons from Best Buy -- "If we screw up and create policies that favor the customer, then the customer is EVIL and must be destroyed! Oh and by the way, just because we post the policies and stand by them, doesn't mean we have to follow them if we don't feel like it."

As for closing the account, that is just too precious as well. "You are a devil customer! You suck and your momma wears combat boots! You are not allowed to trade in any of your games ever again! However, please continue to spend your money freely with us. Thank you, come again!"
Old 12-07-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
. . . there was absolutely no fraud involved at all
Nice post...

I find it incredible that Goldberg74 would post what he did, and then blatently insert the following ad right underneath!

Blockbuster Discounts
Never pay full price! Use loopholes to save up to 25% at Blockbuster.
Old 12-07-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Their website?

Umm....do you not even read three line posts?

I already stated that I tried their website and all you can search is by zip code and would like to know if there are any in the entire state of FL yet. Are they in regular BBV stores yet? Or are they still in independent shops.

I hate repeating myself.
Old 12-07-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
I already stated that I tried their website ...
I hate repeating myself.
In fairness; it looks like they've recently changed their website. You used to be able to search by state. I know there are only a few in the state of Oregon, and nothing far enough south for me... oh well.
Old 12-08-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
They put stickers on their previously played games that say "Trade in and save" so that tells me that they don't mind someone buying a game, then trading it in later on...

The ads say trade in 3 games from Xbox, PS2, PS, GC, or GBA and get 1 previously viewed game for $10... What are you supposed to do, pick out a $6.99 game for the 10 dollar one?

They give you credit on the games you trade in, whether they are worth .50 cents, or worth 35 bucks.

BTW, to find a Game Rush, just ask a local Blockbuster, they should be able to point out at least a couple of the stores, and then the Game Rush stores would know of others in your area. The Game Rush Stores are inside the regular Blockbusters, and usually have their own employees at the counter, although they are also regular Blockbuster employees, and may have to help with the rest of the store.
Old 12-08-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The real problem I see is calling the games "perviously viewed". "previously owned" or "previously played" just make more sense to my head.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with that those people did. It's kind of like using the BB giftcards to get $5 off. None of us really use it the way the company intended. It's just a way to work the system
Old 12-08-04, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by cheapskate
Nice post...

I find it incredible that Goldberg74 would post what he did, and then blatently insert the following ad right underneath!

Blockbuster Discounts
Never pay full price! Use loopholes to save up to 25% at Blockbuster.
That's purely incidental... but I'm !
Old 12-08-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
BTW, to find a Game Rush, just ask a local Blockbuster, they should be able to point out at least a couple of the stores, and then the Game Rush stores would know of others in your area. The Game Rush Stores are inside the regular Blockbusters, and usually have their own employees at the counter, although they are also regular Blockbuster employees, and may have to help with the rest of the store.
Thank you for the information. I was actually able to find that some local BBV have gamerushes in the stores now.
Old 12-09-04, 12:24 AM

Grabbed from CAG, take it for what its worth.

Just called my local store to check prices on fable. Still $35. BUT... BE AWARE OF THIS:

Blockbusters are now tracking your trading from all accounts (all stores) daily. Flipping is ILLEGAL, and therefore they are looking into your trading and will investigate your accounts at all stores trying to build a case for possible prosecution. From what I was told, they will freeze your assets (value cards) and you will be left with zilch. Dont know if this was just a scare tactic, but I believe my GR guys cause they help me alot. Just thought you all should now.

They sold out all DS, XBOX, PS2, GC systems. Shit, all this credit and nothing to buy.
Old 12-09-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Flipping" is "illegal?" Hope someone asks them for the statute.
It sucks to be a customer nowadays, first Best Buy calls most of us devils, then Blockbuster is threatening to ARREST you for FOLLOWING THEIR PROMOTIONS/POLICIES.
F'em.
Old 12-09-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to know in what country and state "flipping" video games is illegal. I highly doubt it.
Old 12-09-04, 07:56 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Not to mention that they are basically flipping themselves.

They are buying a game from you for $x then selling it back to the public at the higher $y price.
Old 12-09-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Went by yesterday to pick up my Mario Party 6 preorder and my account is still fine. Guess they haven't caught up to me yet.
Old 12-09-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WHat the hell? Why are people getting accused of fraud here? What a joke.
Old 12-09-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blockbuster basically treats their GC as funny money anyway..thats why you see all these deals..they figure its great to trade GC for real hard cash.

I traded a bunch of DVDs in, traded them all in for PS2 systems and sold them on the Bay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.