Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who would you want as the MAIN Villain in Spider-Man 3?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who would you choose for Spider-Man 3?
The Scorpion
3.33%
Man-Wolf
0.56%
Sandman
5.56%
Electro
4.44%
Kraven the Hunter
7.22%
The Lizard
18.33%
Venom
43.33%
Mysterio
8.89%
The Vulture
1.11%
Other
7.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-04, 12:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case anyone missed this recent excerpt with Sam Raimi proving a villain has NOT yet been decided on, everything is still up in the air right now:

--
****** October 20, 2004 —

Question: And where are you with Spider-Man 3?

Sam Raimi: I'm lost in a world of confusion right now. In a place of terror.

Q: So you're still trying to figure out the story?

SR: Yes, with a release date coming.

Q: Do you have villains in mind?

SR: Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out Peter's journey, what he's gotta learn in this next adventure, what's gonna happen with the love story with him and Mary Jane Watson and his friend Harry, and what the thematic elements are. What will the movie be about? And once I know that, once I know where he's heading, those conflicts that come up to stand in his way. Once they're clear in my mind, then I'll try and find those villains in the Marvel Universe that best represent that conflict, and I think that's how I'll arrive at the villains.******
--

So if YOU could make the choice, who would it be?
Old 12-06-04, 01:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd love to see Venom in there, but I doubt that's a possibility due to the lack of character development in the second movie.

I'd be really surprised though, if it wasnt Harry.
Old 12-06-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
It seems like it was already pretty much set up to be Harry. But maybe he wants to delay that for IV?
Old 12-06-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Last I heard, Sony and Raimi wanted to make #3 the last one, at least for a while.

I would want to see Mysterio. I think insanity can be frightening if done well.
Old 12-06-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Venom, despite the complaints i've seen from some people here. I love the character
Old 12-06-04, 01:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanman
It seems like it was already pretty much set up to be Harry. But maybe he wants to delay that for IV?

Yes, I think it's very clear Osborn will be a foe but there is no way there will be just one villain for 3. That is why I didn't list Green Goblin II or Hobgoblin and highlighted MAIN VILLAIN in the header. Also Raimi has been told that 3 should be done as the end-all conclusion of the Spidey storyline. It would very obviously suck if the final Spiderman film just featured another GG.
Old 12-06-04, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a montage at the beginning of the movie featuring Spider-Man fighting some of the lesser villains set to the original Spider-Man theme?
Old 12-06-04, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
^^That's my thinking. Open up the movie with him kicking scorpo or sandman's ass quickly. Some of the rouges in Spidey's gallery can be handled within 5 minutes of screen time.

Yes, I think it's very clear Osborn will be a foe but there is no way there will be just one villain for 3
Actually, this is the part Sam is confused with. He isn't sure that Osborn's reaction will be total hate for Peter Parker or a new understanding for why parker had to do what he had to do when his father went mad. That has been the toss up on what Sam is trying to figure out

It's been said that Sony wants to continue with this franchise, but that some of the leads are not signed up for it and sam has stated that he both wanted to do other things.... and has also said in other outlets that he would be up for more. It's a lot of he said/she said and in the moment type of things.

But he hasn't changed his mind on the simple thing that Venom will not be a bad guy in his run with the wall crawller.

It wouldn't suck if it featured another GG because it would be the story arc coming full circle.

now would you rather have it that you get two green goblins in part 5 that end up being the son and daughter of Norman and a character who were never introduced into the Movie history?

We also have the mention of Conors. So The Lizard is a real option even though it has the roots in the "scientist experiment gone wrong" situation that happened in two. So if it's a combination of Lizard and Goblin, it would be a bit of a re-do of the first movie. Having the lizard in this can be interesting. For a good example of Peter's life and relationship M.J. mixing/conflicting with his life as spider-man, you should read the Torment story arc during McFarlane's run of the comic. It's a perfect example of what could happen in the film.

oh yeah.. YAY! Another spiderman thread...

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 12-06-04 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Because I can, so stop judging me
Old 12-06-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What I wish for would be 3 villains...2 being main villains.

I have high hopes they throw in Shocker, Rhino, or even Kraven right in the beginning. Have spidey duke it out with one of these baddies. One, it would be awesome. Two, it would get you all excited about Spidey kicking ass. 3, it would involve NO backstory.

For the 2 main villains....one of them has to be Green Goblin! It will complete this arc! You need it. What I feel should happen is that GG2 should be in the background the whole time...hiding in the shadows and not confronting spidey head one...but more on the sidelines. Then at the end after spidey finishes off number 2 villian GG jumps in and think he's going to finish off spider-man....but then realizes what he's doing, and stops....something like Spec. SM 200.

As for that second villian I don't know....Lizard would make sense... but having a scientist experiment gone wrong again could be silly. I think The Vulture might be fun.
Old 12-06-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd like to see Spider-Man exposed to some kind of radiation that causes him to turn evil, and eventually he has to battle his good self.....

.....oh, wait. That's Superman 3.
Old 12-06-04, 10:48 AM

John Jameson is still a loose end that should be dealt with. Mary Jane left him at the alter and it'd be nice if their was a subplot involving him, especially if this is the final one. It's already been set-up that he's an astronaut, so have him go into space and be transformed into either Man-Wolf or Venom. And yes, I think Raimi should reconsider Venom. Who cares if he wasn't an original Spider-Man villain, Sam can use the character's design as a foundation and build his own version.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 12-06-04 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-06-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
King Pin
Old 12-06-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not a huge Spiderman or comics fan but years ago I had an original 60s comic with Spidey battling Medusa on the front. Since I didn't see a mention in the thread I guess she's a lesser villian.

The animated hair is probably too close visually to Dr. Ock's arms though. Maybe she'll show up later on.

[edit]
The internet's great. Here's the cover of the comic that I had:

[/edit]

Last edited by obscurelabel; 12-06-04 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Medusa isn't actually a villain anymore, she's queen of the Inhumans. She was only a villain briefly.
Old 12-06-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Medusa isn't actually a villain anymore, she's queen of the Inhumans. She was only a villain briefly.
D'oh!

Well, as I said I'm just a casual fan. I remember that image from the cover extremely well from my childhood (I wonder why )

Last edited by obscurelabel; 12-06-04 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Lizard. Harry shouldn't become a villain. He's not loco like his dad was. Setting up John Jameson being upset that Mary Jane left him for Peter is a good device for him being a villain as well.
Old 12-06-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd like to se a non-"mad scientist" villain. This guy:

Would do nicely. And please, Sam... NO VENOM.
Old 12-06-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I've always been a big fan of The Shocker. I think the FX they could do with him could be very nice. plus he's just a regular guy so you wouldn't have to repeat the experiment gone wrong angle.

Last edited by Timber; 12-06-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Shocker has always been one of my favorites too
Old 12-06-04, 02:30 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must say, the latest Spiderman movies and old Superman movies (Reeve) are probably the best super hero movies out there to date.

I'm looking forward to part 3
Old 12-06-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Mysterio should be the next villian
Old 12-06-04, 04:07 PM

I think Raimi is most concerned with finishing the story; will Harry seek revenge w/the Goblin powers, or understand why Peter had to do what he did. Will MJ and Peter live happily ever after, or will Spider-Man's reponsibilities strain their relationship. The story has always been the focus, not who's the most awesome villian to put in the movie.

With that, the logical bet IMO would be for Harry to take on the Goblin role. Then either John Jameson will become a villian, or someone like the Black Cat will try to come between Peter & MJ. They could then team up with Goblin to take out Spider-Man. Maybe not the strongest villians, but if it's logical and the story's good, that goes a long way.
Old 12-06-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The villians will most certainly be The Lizard and Green Goblin II. If not, I will eat my hat.
Old 12-06-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I would like to have III open with Spidey taking out someone minor like Rhino and establish that he has a rogues gallery. If you have played the SM2 video game, then you know that some of the famous villains can be handled effectively without too much exposition. I really liked the way they handled Mysterio and think he would be a good candidate to have in III.

IMO, I would have III play out like this: you have three villains, Lizard, Mysterio, and GG2. The plotline with Lizard is more or less a subplot while a major one with Harry and Mysterio develops. The whole Lizard deal is over by the end of the second act, but once Connors is reunited with his family, Spidey gets word that MJ, May, or both are in trouble and to show up at a designated place. The place is a huge illusion devised by Mysterio, and features a kick a$$ action sequence of Spidey fighting his way through illusions of foes he has either vanquished or put in prison (maybe Doc Ock could be included as well). Eventually, he shuts the thing down and takes out Mysterio. Suddenly the Green Goblin appears (he is the last to appear of the rogue's) out of the remaining FX and smoke. Spidey is ready to blow it off as just another illusion, until a pumpkin bomb is thrown, explodes, and knocks him for a loop. Spidey now realizes that this is real and begins to believe, as in the comics, that Norman has returned from the dead. Of course Harry reveals himself and the finale battle can begin.

The way I see it, we have had two movies that have done a great job of setting up the characters and conflicts, now just let the action rip!
Old 12-06-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I don't care. Suprise me. As long as J.K. Simmons gets plenty of screen time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.