Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

GITS:SAC complete series?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw an episode of this, on Adult Swim the other night, and wanted to get all the episodes... the US releases are (seems to me) a rip-off, 4 episodes for $25-$30??.... soooo, checked out ebay for international releases... I found a lot of results, most of them clean to be a Japanese release, region 0... looks legitimate, but dunno... any input on this? Are TV sets done as region 0 sometimes? I'm usually pretty savvy when it comes to sniffing out bootlegs, but I'm stumped in this case. Anyone?

Here's a good example of what I'm looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6345653232
Old 12-05-04, 10:48 PM

that's a boot and so is everything else that seller has. doubt you'll find much import anime on ebay that's genuine.
Old 12-05-04, 10:49 PM

The dvds that were posted are bootlegs. Some of sure signs of the set being a bootleg are English\Chinese subtitles and only 3 discs for a complete 26 episodes series. Also the set being region 0 is another sign. The Japanese release didn't have English or Chinese subtitles and was Region 2. For comparison sake, the Japanese release only had 2 episodes and cost 6000 yen.
Old 12-05-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
$30 for 4 episodes is par for the course for anime releases. The cost to license those shows is higher than for American TV series, and the purchasing audience much smaller.
Old 12-06-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ShagMan
... the US releases are (seems to me) a rip-off, 4 episodes for $25-$30??
How about 2 episodes for $58? That is how they were released in Japan. Anime is somewhat expensive here in the US, but it is a niche market so it will be a little bit more than your normal DVDs. Watch the sales at places like RightStuf.com and you will be able to get the GitS:SAC DVDs cheaper. Or wait for them all to be released packaged together.