Reload this Page >

Above-Average Brady Bunch episodes

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-05-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In anticipation of the DVD release in 2005, let's list what we feel are the best episodes to come out of the TV-series of The Brady Bunch.

I've talked about other episodes in other threads, but I've recently thought about one I haven't talked about that I thought was pretty good (and something that would have gone along with Robert Reed's idea of what the show should have been on a weekly basis.

When Cindy is teased by an older boy about her lisp, and Peter sees this and tries to step up to defend her. The bigger, older boy punches Peter in the eye, giving him a shiner. So the teasing continues, but this time its Peter who's the victim. His brother Greg tries to teach him how to fight back, but their mother and father want him to "reason with him." Eventually, Carol goes to visit with the bully's mother, and gets into an argument. Mike goes to visit the father, and gets into an argument. Finally, Mike and Carol think that Peter has to fight this bully (unconventional Brady wisdom). Peter finally fights the bully, and wins by knocking him out. Peter and Cindy walk him together after Cindy declares Peter: "her hero."
Old 12-05-04, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoy "Father Of The Year", where Marcia enters Mike in a newspaper contest, and gets grounded in the process (unbeknownst to Mike).

Also, (and this is a perfect time of the year to watch it) "The Voice Of Christmas", where Cindy asks Santa Claus to give her mom back her voice (she has laryngitis, and is scheduled to sing on Christmas morning).

There are quite a few more...but these two are most likely my favorites.
Old 12-05-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Since this is really about the TV show, with just a fleeting mention of the fact that it's coming out on DVD, this should probably be in the TV forum.
Old 12-05-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've enjoyed a few: the fake UFO episode, the Halloween episode, the Volcano model eruption, the family's Pilgrim film, Bobby filling the room with soap suds and the teeter-totter Guinness Record are ones that I recall.
Old 12-05-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The first season was never one of my favorites because it was a little bit on the syrupy side, the kids were young (and there was too much crying) and it focused more on drama than comedy. But some of the early ones that I liked was the one where the children build house of cards to determine what prize to get from the collected trade-in stamps. The girls win, but decide to get the TV for everyone. Or the one where the girls fight over the use of the clubhouse and end up getting one of their own, no thanks to Bobby.

The middle period of the show was probably the best -- going to the Grand Canyon, Greg getting caught smoking, Pete feeling his has no personality, Jan being vain over "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!," etc.
Old 12-05-04, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moving to the TV Forum
Old 12-05-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

crazy Tiki episode in Hawaii
Old 12-05-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Peter meets one of Jan's friends and is so taken with her, he can't even speak. Smooth Greg volunteers to hide in the bushes near the girl's house and feed Peter some groovy lines so she'll fall for him. Unfortunately, she finds Greg and mistakenly believes that he is the one with a crush on her. Peter fumes. Greg and Marcia cook up a plan to fool the girl into thinking that Greg is a real louse, so this girl will forget about him and go for Peter. This plan works well until Peter shows up and lets the cat out of the bag, and then makes a speech about how well he would treat the girl that she gushes and they walk off into the sunset. She was never seen or mentioned again, so much for true love.

On a related Brady-note, I've noticed that there was some fascination with Bendict Arnold by the Bradys. He was mentioned no less than half a dozen times, and there was an entire episode focused on Peter being ostracized by playing Arnold in a school play. I always found that odd.
Old 12-05-04, 06:59 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by ken_572002
I enjoy "Father Of The Year", where Marcia enters Mike in a newspaper contest, and gets grounded in the process (unbeknownst to Mike).
That is probably my favorite early episode. Others include: Greg as Johnny Bravo, the one with Peter and 'Arthur', the one where Greg makes Mike's den his bedroom and the one with the hair tonic (even though it had Oliver).
Old 01-20-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
On a related Brady-note, I've noticed that there was some fascination with Bendict Arnold by the Bradys. He was mentioned no less than half a dozen times, and there was an entire episode focused on Peter being ostracized by playing Arnold in a school play. I always found that odd.
You know, that's true.....pretty funny observation.
Old 01-20-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watching the episode with Bobby's idolization of Jesse James always made me believe that Jesse James was "a mean, heartless killer!" Once I reached adulthood (looks left and right) and read up on James, it was said that he and his brother were outlaws because the law basically screwed them.

But, thinking back, it was odd that the Bradys took such a stance on a historical figure.
Old 01-20-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
I've enjoyed a few: the fake UFO episode, the Halloween episode, the Volcano model eruption, the family's Pilgrim film, Bobby filling the room with soap suds and the teeter-totter Guinness Record are ones that I recall.

All good ones. Also:

Jesse James
Marcia & the football
Greg & the football playbook
Tiger running away
Greg & Bobby get trapped in the meat locker
Hawaii
Old 01-20-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like it when they showed the children with flaws. Mike hires Greg because Greg needs money, and Greg has to take plans (architectural drawings) to a buyer but loses them in the gutter because he was "irresponsible."

The other showed the idiocy of Jan - The Silver Platters episode, where it was their parents anniversary, and they decided to buy a silver platter with all their lovely names engraved on it. But Jan goofs, and doesn't realize the true cost of this, and the Brady kids don't have enough money. so they form themselves into a singing group! Groovy.
Old 01-20-05, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Davy Jones (prom).

"Oh, my nose!"

"Baby talk, baby talk, it's a wonder you can walk."
Old 01-20-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Greg vs Marcia driving test.
Dying Bobby meets Joe Namath.
"When it's time to change..."
Marcia and her nerd lust.
Old 01-20-05, 05:55 PM

The western episodes, when Bobby runs away and puts beans in his flashlight for food. Anytime I'm camping and I see a silver flashlight I think of Bobby & his beans.

Also, when Peter saves a kids from the falling shelves at the toy store is rewarded by the parents with a shopping spree. I dreamed of saving some kid after that in hopes of getting toys for free!

The most painful had to be the episode when Bobby is up in locked up in his room for soemthing and only has that stupid bird he keeps whistling to..
Old 01-20-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by guywall
The most painful had to be the episode when Bobby is up in locked up in his room for soemthing and only has that stupid bird he keeps whistling to..

It's been awhile, but I didn't think he was locked in his room. He just didn't want to go out and play because he was afraid (of heights?), but when the bird flew away he faced his fear to save it.

Here's a clue to one of my favorites (who can figure it out?): Bubblegum

Stew
Old 01-21-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanstew
Here's a clue to one of my favorites (who can figure it out?): Bubblegum

Stew
Bobby the pool shark?