Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Warner Home Video Unveils Mini-DVD Player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that I would be interested in player that plays a non-standard size disc.

I can't imagine anybody wanting to buy a movie twice for this. One for the home and one for the kids to go in this player. When you can get a portable player that plays DVD's already on the market.

Seems like double doublidipping has movies would be re-released in each format.
Old 12-04-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2508

more info
Old 12-04-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

VideoNow already won the kid video device war, and most of the competitors (JuiceBox, GameBoy Advance Video, etc.) didn't fly. I don't see the point in spending $120 on a miniDVD player when you can get a low-end portable DVD player for around $150 nowadays that will play any disc.
Old 12-04-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I'm hoping they'll only put out the foolscreen versions on these discs and make all the regular DVDs widescreen.
Old 12-04-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
" The CyberHome player reads special mini-DVDs, which are compatible with standard DVD players. About 30 titles initially will be available, with more than 50 due in stores by spring."

You don't have to buy them twice. The ones for the players will play in the standard DVD players.
Old 12-04-04, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's the Mini-DVD player:

CH-MDP 2500 Portable Mini-DVD Player

http://www.cyberhome.com/products.asp?Product=MDP-2500

Photo of the red one from amazon.com

Technical data page from amazon.com for the player:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&vi=tech-data

CyberHome's page says the DVD that comes with the player is
Scobby Doo™ Original Mysteries and you get your choice of two additional Mini-DVDs.

Amazon.com's page says it plays 3-inch/8 cm mini DVD/CD only: DVD-Video (NTSC), DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, VCD, SVCD, CD, MP3 CD, and JPEG image CD.

Looks nice. But if the DVDs can play in regular players, I will just buy the Mini-DVDs and not the player.
Old 12-05-04, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds interesting but this really belongs in the DVD Gear forum.
Old 12-05-04, 12:05 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
4:3 Aspect Ratio, 2.5" screen.

So a 2.35 movie would be appear "super clear" on the couple thousand pixels used to display it.

I can't remember the last time I saw such a loser product.
Old 12-08-04, 03:27 PM

they could have moved the speakers down to the bottom half of the top flap so you could have a wide screen. then move the controls to the bottom flap
Old 06-04-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Well, looks like they've already given up on this thing. I bought the Scooby-Doo Cyber Chase disc at Best Buy just for the novelty, I reveled in the irony of playing it on my humongous laserdisc/DVD combo player! Everything just disappeared from Best Buy, but I bet they end up at Big Lots in a little while. I'll snag one of the players if I can get one for under $20.
Just picked up a Mattel Juicebox real cheap since Target is clearing those out now, they're pretty cool though I feel sorry for anyone who paid full price for them. Videos for it come on microchip cartridges, in color but a little blocky with a low frame rate, and VERY compressed sound which they claim is stereo but all I've heard through my headphones so far is mono. You can get a separate kit to load MP3s and still pictures onto a chip and play that in it, I've played around with that and it definitely has potential. I never saw the point of Ipods or those other MP3 thingys, but I'll see if this might be useful in the car or something. It says the batteries are supposed to last 5 hours, but mine's gone nuts after just around 1 hour, then seems fine again when you put in more batteries. I'll have to try to pick up a second unit and find an AC and a car adaptor too.
Scored a color Videonow for cheap on Ebay too, some people have come up with ways to make your own discs for that though it seems a little difficult. Could be fun to play around with though.