Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What is a concept that you find intriguing?

taa455
12-02-04, 03:23 PM
What concepts do you find intriguing, interesting, and/or facinating? Hopefully this will be a fun thread.

I was thinking today as I ate some Ritz crackers with my soup, the concept of the "mock apple pie" has always seemed a little odd to me, yet I am also intrigued that whoever came up with this idea actually said to themselves, "Hey, I'll make a pie out of crackers." I mean, really, what is the point? Was there a shortage of apples? My mom made these pies a few times when I was young. I even requested them a few times just because I was so facinated that a bunch of crackers could taste like apples.

Brain Stew
12-02-04, 03:25 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention.

I'm sure that sort of stuff came about during the depression or when someone was having hard financial times.

Th0r S1mpson
12-02-04, 03:27 PM
You had me at "Ritz crackers with my soup." :blush:

Numanoid
12-02-04, 03:27 PM
Individually wrapped Twinkies™.

It makes no damn sense!

Th0r S1mpson
12-02-04, 03:28 PM
Okay, how 'bout imitation crab meat. It's fish. Why not call it real fish instead of fake crab?

Phil L.
12-02-04, 03:29 PM
Lesbian schoolgirls

Brain Stew
12-02-04, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil L.
Lesbian schoolgirls

Yes, yes, I may need to study this one in depth....

Abelkems
12-02-04, 03:31 PM
Pregnant Lesbian schoolgirls

Fixed

Preacher
12-02-04, 03:34 PM
This thread is off and running. I suggest "Woman with Oral Fixations" for $100.00 please.

Nick Danger
12-02-04, 03:34 PM
Subliminal advertising.

A guy wrote a book about it in the 1970s that explained that Ritz Crackers have the word SEX stamped into them. He said it probably made them taste better.

Look closely at your Ritz Crackers and try to see it for yourself.

Minor Threat
12-02-04, 03:36 PM
Women's thong underwear......I mean really, what purpose does it serve?

:eyebrow:

Brain Stew
12-02-04, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Minor Threat
Women's thong underwear......I mean really, what purpose does it serve?

No pantylines.

Minor Threat
12-02-04, 03:37 PM
not true.....you can usually see it above the waistline of the low rise jeans they wear.....

:eyebrow::eyebrow:

Brain Stew
12-02-04, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Minor Threat
not true.....you can usually see it above the waistline of the low rise jeans they wear.....

:eyebrow::eyebrow:

Very true and very sexy coincidentally!

Minor Threat
12-02-04, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Brain Stew
Very true and very sexy coincidentally!

:up:

Bandoman
12-02-04, 03:44 PM
Personal responsibility.

TOPDAWG
12-02-04, 03:44 PM
Pet Rock.

heimerSWT
12-02-04, 03:46 PM
I was thinking about pumpkins the other day while eating a slice of pumpkin pie. Pumpkins, on their own, do not taste good as far as I know. But, whoever thought to make it into a pie?

Pumpkin pie is not nearly my favorite kind of pie, but it does have a good taste. How many different times did someone take to get it "right"?

j123vt_99
12-02-04, 03:49 PM
twikoff

Minor Threat
12-02-04, 03:52 PM
"justifiable homicide"

DodgingCars
12-02-04, 04:02 PM
Not a concept... but The Conet Project

WillieTheShakes
12-02-04, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Bandoman
Personal responsibility.

We're not there yet, Bando.

j123vt_99
12-02-04, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by WillieTheShakes
We're not there yet, Bando.

yep.. different thread. some people appartently understand it completely

Red Dog
12-02-04, 04:33 PM
Hypnosis

DaveNinja
12-02-04, 05:03 PM
ratings for Will & Grace

Geofferson
12-02-04, 05:06 PM
http://www.yulinks.co.yu/auto/images/pezo_fut272F.JPG

Giantrobo
12-02-04, 05:17 PM
The concept of Women having control over men. It's cool and scary at the same time. A woman who understands her "powers" and masters them is a dangerous thing. :lol:

Have you been in a chat room when woman appears? What about dvdtalk? The males go nuts. I mean men will hire a women based on her looks. Men throw hundreds of hard earned dollars at women in strip clubs in the hope of something happening. Men risk family, jobs, and reputation to pick up hookers on public streets. I mean the "power" is incredible.

Geofferson
12-02-04, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Giantrobo
The concept of Women having control over men. It's cool and scary at the same time. A woman who understands her "powers" and masters them is a dangerous thing. :lol:

Have you been in a chat room when woman appears? What about dvdtalk? The males go nuts. I mean men will hire a women based on her looks. Men throw hundreds of hard earned dollars at women in strip clubs in the hope of something happening. Men risk family, jobs, and reputation to pick up hookers on public streets. I mean the "power" is incredible.
In all seriousness, you are correct. Women make this world go 'round. Men are so simple and women so complex that yes, women essentially do have control over men -- and that is a fascinating concept. :)

NCMojo
12-02-04, 05:23 PM
What if there were a message board... for people who like DVDs? What would that be like?

:hscratch:

BradJ
12-02-04, 05:25 PM
Taking the lump sum.. where would you take it? and would you have to bring it back?

MJKTool
12-02-04, 05:39 PM
Peeing in a butt.

kvrdave
12-02-04, 05:51 PM
Grand Unifying Theroy.

Draven
12-02-04, 05:58 PM
I remember hearing in college that one of the theories explaning deja vu was that what you experienced skipped your short-term memory and went right into long-term, like a brain "short."

Normally, things reside in short-term for a few seconds and from there they either disappear forever or move into long-term. The "short" theory makes perfect sense to me, as your mind is fooled into thinking it has experienced it before.

I've always been fascinated by the explanation.

El Scorcho
12-02-04, 06:10 PM
I am seriously intrigued by the logistics of obese people having sex with each other. How the fuck does that work?

kantonburg
12-02-04, 06:21 PM
I'm still trying to figure out where the gnats go when the wind blows.

naughty jonny
12-02-04, 06:32 PM
Time. Is it as linear as we think?

eXcentris
12-02-04, 06:36 PM
Why does running water make you want to go pee? I want the scientific/medical explanation behind this. Do people who live right by waterfalls pee more?

PopcornTreeCt
12-02-04, 06:36 PM
Friendly fire, no type of gunfire is friendly.

Kittydreamer
12-02-04, 06:46 PM
How can someone hate tomatoes but love ketchup? or love peanuts but hate peanutbutter? or hate squash of all kinds but eat pumpkin pie?

Giantrobo
12-02-04, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by El Scorcho
I am seriously intrigued by the logistics of obese people having sex with each other. How the fuck does that work?

I could e-mail some mpegs...

Th0r S1mpson
12-02-04, 07:03 PM
Hologram pictures. The really good ones with a great sense of depth are simply amazing.

I'm not talking about those retarded 3-D posters you stare at until you hallucinate that you're seeing a boat or an eagle, I'm talking about the ones made with lazers. Some of them are pretty incredible.

MJKTool
12-02-04, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Kittydreamer
How can someone hate tomatoes but love ketchup?

How can someone still believe in Santa when they are a late teen? -wink-

j123vt_99
12-02-04, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Hologram pictures. The really good ones with a great sense of depth are simply amazing.

I'm not talking about those retarded 3-D posters you stare at until you hallucinate that you're seeing a boat or an eagle, I'm talking about the ones made with lazers. Some of them are pretty incredible.

it's not a boat. it's a schooner

DodgingCars
12-02-04, 10:08 PM
How can someone hate tomatoes but love ketchup? or love peanuts but hate peanutbutter? or hate squash of all kinds but eat pumpkin pie?

Because they are different.

Ketchup is a different texture and flavor than a tomato. Peanuts are a different texture and flavor than peanut butter. Same thing with pumpkin pie and squash.

What's so hard to understand?

gmal2003
12-02-04, 10:41 PM
I never will understand the essential basics to anything electrical. Take;for instance, a computer. No matter what program you put in, what kind of hard drive is intsalled etc. etc., when everything is stripped to the basics and it comes to the bare essentials, your'e left with plastic, metal, wires, and other materials accompanied by electricity. How these materials combine with electricity to produce highly interactive images I'll never understand.

DodgingCars
12-02-04, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by gmal2003
I never will understand the essential basics to anything electrical. Take;for instance, a computer. No matter what program you put in, what kind of hard drive is intsalled etc. etc., when everything is stripped to the basics and it comes to the bare essentials, your'e left with plastic, metal, wires, and other materials accompanied by electricity. How these materials combine with electricity to produce highly interactive images I'll never understand.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/pics/91gcavemanlawyer3.jpg
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and run off into the hills, or wherever.. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

tommyp007
12-02-04, 11:39 PM
:lol:

naughty jonny
12-02-04, 11:42 PM
The obsession we guys have with lesbian sex. :) If there are two girls hot for each other, then what the hell would they want with us?

Eidt: Maybe we just like to be rejected :)

Kittydreamer
12-03-04, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by DodgingCars
Because they are different.

Ketchup is a different texture and flavor than a tomato. Peanuts are a different texture and flavor than peanut butter. Same thing with pumpkin pie and squash.

What's so hard to understand?

Meow! :lol:

Dude, don't take it so seriously. ;)

HistoryProf
12-03-04, 12:32 AM
Democracy.

Th0r S1mpson
12-03-04, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by naughty jonny
The obsession we guys have with lesbian sex. :)
Does this really need explanation? It has to do with getting to see twice as many naked ladies and zero naked men. Is that hard to grasp?

tasha99
12-03-04, 12:51 AM
Nothing. Sometimes I try to imagine what nothing is, but I've never been able to.

Kittydreamer
12-03-04, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by MJKTool
How can someone still believe in Santa when they are a late teen? -wink-

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, I wasn't a late teen when I found out the horrible truth about Santa but I do remember being quite a bit older than most kids - maybe more like 10?

tasha99
12-03-04, 01:24 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, I wasn't a late teen when I found out the horrible truth about Santa but I do remember being quite a bit older than most kids - maybe more like 10?

Me too. And the bad part is kids told me, but I didn't believe them and argued and argued that Santa was real because he came to my house and gave me a hippity hop (in person). Not a lot of critical thinking going on on my part there--Santa is supposed to come down the chimney, but he rang the door that year.

jfoobar
12-03-04, 05:30 AM

It involves a complicated system of ropes and pulleys. Even with all of this, only one thrust in fifteen is successful, but the man usually doesn't notice.

Brain Stew
12-03-04, 09:04 AM

Computers are actually very stupid. They are merely a collection of circuits that do operations quickly. Really all they can do is addition and the AND, OR, NOT gates. Data is represented as two "bits" 1 and 0. The 1 basically the effect of data coming in a power going through a circuit quickly. Likewise 0 is the effect of data coming in but not outputing or no data coming (depending on the gate).

From there you have the assembly language which is the most low level language that humans can understand (machine code languages are lower but coding in nothing but 1's and 0's is hard) which allows direct access to the hardware for a trade-off of ease. From there you have high level languages to write programs such as the ubiquitous C++ which basically is an Object Oriented Language which means that it can use collections of data "objects" defined externally from the program to simplify things.

JEStinson3
12-03-04, 09:21 AM
The possibility of time travel

Draven
12-03-04, 09:37 AM
Computers are actually very stupid. They are merely a collection of circuits that do operations quickly. Really all they can do is addition and the AND, OR, NOT gates. Data is represented as two "bits" 1 and 0. The 1 basically the effect of data coming in a power going through a circuit quickly. Likewise 0 is the effect of data coming in but not outputing or no data coming (depending on the gate).

From there you have the assembly language which is the most low level language that humans can understand (machine code languages are lower but coding in nothing but 1's and 0's is hard) which allows direct access to the hardware for a trade-off of ease. From there you have high level languages to write programs such as the ubiquitous C++ which basically is an Object Oriented Language which means that it can use collections of data "objects" defined externally from the program to simplify things.

http://www.flaming-egg.com/images/exploding-head.gif

Phil L.
12-03-04, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt

The kind that goes from my gun away from me and toward the bad guy that wants to kill me would have to be considered *very* friendly fire.
Well, at least from my point of view.

gmal2003
12-03-04, 11:38 AM
Thanx Stew, but...
What gets it to that point, how do we combine materials that add things for us. I assume a "master" machine or program has to do this for the new computer to work but how was that machine able to combine materials and electricity to make it work . How was the first electric/solar calculator invented?What made it work without prior technology to build off of?I guess Im too stupid to see this.

(off to write a new Matrix-esque movie)

Phil L.
12-03-04, 11:42 AM
Does this really need explanation? It has to do with getting to see twice as many naked ladies and zero naked men. Is that hard to grasp?

I know it always gives me something to grasp.

DodgingCars
12-03-04, 11:51 AM
Thanx Stew, but...
What gets it to that point, how do we combine materials that add things for us. I assume a "master" machine or program has to do this for the new computer to work but how was that machine able to combine materials and electricity to make it work . How was the first electric/solar calculator invented?What made it work without prior technology to build off of?I guess Im too stupid to see this.

(off to write a new Matrix-esque movie)

He kind of already explained that:

Computers are actually very stupid. They are merely a collection of circuits that do operations quickly... Data is represented as two "bits" 1 and 0. The 1 basically the effect of data coming in a power going through a circuit quickly. Likewise 0 is the effect of data coming in but not outputing or no data coming (depending on the gate).

I can't explain it, because I don't understand it fully... but I have a "primitive" enough knowledge of it. Basically, certain materials allow electricity to flow through them easier than others. A computer "counts" by "0"s and "1"s -- on or offs. Do a search on resistors, capicitors... then transistors and integrated circuits.

Or, you could read about the early computers, like the one used for the census which later helped start IBM.

gmal2003
12-03-04, 12:05 PM
Between BrianStew and Dodging Cars, Ive got a better grasp on things now. Thanx.

taa455
12-03-04, 12:06 PM
Computers are actually very stupid.
I would watch my back if I were you.

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~scopatz/comp/hal-9000.jpg

gmal2003
12-03-04, 12:07 PM
I have another concept that perplexes me...

Why do birds sing so gay?

BradJ
12-03-04, 12:08 PM
Step 1: Underpants
Step 3: Profit!

What is Step 2?!?!?! WHAT IS STEP 2?!?!!?!?

Pointyskull
12-03-04, 12:11 PM
I am seriously intrigued by the logistics of obese people wiping themselves after a bowel movement. How the fuck does that work?

Fixed

Brain Stew
12-03-04, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by taa455
I would watch my back if I were you.

Well, I can only speak about current computers. Neural-net systems like HAL or the T-800 are a different ballgame ;).

Otto
12-03-04, 12:26 PM
Thanx Stew, but...
This is like EE 101, sort of thing, really. The most basic concept you need to understand is a relay.

A relay can be thought of as a switch. Think of a light switch.. You flip it on, current can go through it. You flip it off, current can't go through it. Now replace the switch part with another wire. When there's power on the wire, the switch turns on. When there's no power on the wire, the switch turns off.

That's really the basis for all electronic computing. Because you can attach the switch part of the relay to the output of other relays. Connect these in various ways and you can build basic gates, like AND gates, OR gates, etc.

An AND gate can be made from two relays by simply connecting the passthru parts to each other. Only when you turn on both switches will current pass all the way through. An OR gate is even simpler.. Just connect two wires to the switch part of one relay.. When either one of those wires comes on, the switch turns on. A NOT gate can be made by using a slightly different kind of relay, one that is more like a 3 way light switch, so that when it's "off" it connects to a different pass through wire.

In any case, relays are not used anymore. Instead, you have transistors that do basically the same thing. The benefit is that transistors can be made very small. In fact, you can etch them onto silicon chips. Instead of physically wiring them together like relays, you just etch them in different patterns to make your gates.

Now with those basic three gates, or similar ones, you can create the most basic computing device which is called an "adder". It takes a couple of bits and adds them together. From this you can create a full adder, which takes larger numbers and adds them together. And from there... well, you get the idea. You just keep building new stuff from the stuff you've just created and eventually you get to where we are now. Start with the basic idea of the relay and you can build every computing device up from there.

The first computers were, in fact, made out of relays. When the transistor was created, they simply replaced the relays with transistors. Any idiot can build a switch, and a relay is just a form of that. :)

Save Ferris
12-03-04, 12:29 PM
How come looking at a bright light helps you complete a sneeze

Ive never heard a real explanation for this. Very intriguing.

Otto
12-03-04, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Save Ferris
How come looking at a bright light helps you complete a sneeze
Ive never heard a real explanation for this. Very intriguing.
It's a sort of miswiring in your brain.

Lookup "Photic Sneezing": http://loin.free.fr/john/photic_sneezing.html

peon73
12-03-04, 12:38 PM
string theory

multiple dimensions

destiny versus free will

weargle
12-03-04, 12:39 PM
Boron Cowpunch.

Otto
12-03-04, 12:39 PM

Holograms are basically photographs of the interference pattern from two different sets of light. The one that seem to move when you move them around are simply multiple exposures of the thing from different angles.

When you make a photo of the interference pattern, and then focus light at that photo from one of the original angles, the light interacts with the interference pattern to produce the other light beam that originally created it. And thus you see the 3d object. When you change the angle, you change which interference pattern you're looking at, and see a different object.

Interference patterns themselves are tricky, but check google for resources. They're actually very easy to understand if you ever did the wave experiment in a physics class.

Otto
12-03-04, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Nick Danger
Subliminal advertising.

A guy wrote a book about it in the 1970s that explained that Ritz Crackers have the word SEX stamped into them. He said it probably made them taste better.

Look closely at your Ritz Crackers and try to see it for yourself.
Subliminal Advertising doesn't work. It's been really, really thoroughly debunked.

Never heard the Ritz cracker thing, but it's pretty well accepted that subliminal advertising is hogwash.

Bandoman
12-03-04, 12:42 PM
The concept of male-male action in straight porn intrigues me.

Otto
12-03-04, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by peon73
string theory
String theory is the notion that all elementary particles are in fact wave interference patterns created by vibrations of superstrings in a multi-dimensional continuum.

multiple dimensions
Pretty simple. You can see length, width, and height. The idea is that there's more than that, possibly lots more. You just can't see 'em because they're very, very small.

destiny versus free will
These are actually the same thing from different perspectives. If you're confined to seeing the universe in linear time, then free will is what you see. If you are capable of seeing a wide swath of time at once, then destiny seems to be obvious since it can't possibly have occured any other way. Think of an ant walking across a suspended beam of wood. There's only one path the ant can follow, because there's only one path there. The ant can only see a few inches in front of him. As he walks, he thinks the beam could curve either way, he doesn't know which way. This is free will. You, looking at the ant and the whole beam all at once know that the ant must follow only one path, because you see the whole thing all at once. This is predestination. Both are true, it's just a matter of perspective.

Otto
12-03-04, 12:55 PM
Unless, of course, you're shot by a clown.

RevLiver
12-03-04, 12:57 PM
Geothermal heating.

Can you do this anywhere? Could I say, dig a shaft down into the earth in, say, New England, and heat my home this way?

If hypothetically, every home and building in the US was converted to geothermal heating, would there be any seismic effects? Would draining the internal heat of the earth like that have any negative effects?

Phil L.
12-03-04, 12:57 PM
How about that peanutbutter and jelly both in the same container thing? That's gotta be fairly intriguing no?

taa455
12-03-04, 01:04 PM
I have often been facinated by the phenomenon of yawns being contagious.

PopcornTreeCt
12-03-04, 02:08 PM
Some other things I have thought about:

Digging a hole to China. Now I mean this was one of those things I talked about in elementary school but never really thought about it since. But if the technology was available, couldn't you keep digging through the core of the Earth and come up in another part of the world? That's a weird concept.

Cusm
12-03-04, 03:57 PM
Acquired Taste.

Usually when someone says this it means “you are going to think this taste like shit until you have several dozen times and get accustomed to this horrible taste.” Now who was the first person to taste something, think it is not good, but continue to eat it until they found it acceptable? Why would I want to have to acquire a taste for something? If I do not like it, I do not want to continue eating/comsuming it until I find it okay.

DodgingCars
12-03-04, 04:03 PM
I'm intrigued that so many people don't know how to use google to find out the answers to those things that intrigue them.

;)

Otto
12-03-04, 04:06 PM
Digging a hole to China. Now I mean this was one of those things I talked about in elementary school but never really thought about it since. But if the technology was available, couldn't you keep digging through the core of the Earth and come up in another part of the world? That's a weird concept.
You could dig down until you got to the center, but then you'd have to dig up in zero gravity. It'd be difficult, even ignoring the 6000 degree temperatures and 300 million atmospheres of pressure.

Otto
12-03-04, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by RevLiver
Geothermal heating.
Can you do this anywhere? Could I say, dig a shaft down into the earth in, say, New England, and heat my home this way?
Sure, except you don't dig a shaft, you embed pipes in the ground and run water through them, using the Earth as a heat sink in the summer and a heat source in the winter.

If hypothetically, every home and building in the US was converted to geothermal heating, would there be any seismic effects? Would draining the internal heat of the earth like that have any negative effects?
Seismic effects? Not really. Maybe some shifting aorund due to moving all that soil and such...

Brain Stew
12-03-04, 04:17 PM
Some other things I have thought about:

Scientists actually speculate that if you started in America, you'd end up in the Indian Ocean.

Talzin
12-03-04, 04:25 PM
First thought, the colour seven..

Second thought, geh best get back to work.

milo bloom
12-03-04, 04:56 PM
I have carried around the deep dark secret of not truly understanding how computers for work for decades. My wife and even build our computers and for relatives. But I have never been able to get down the very basic level. I mean I even sorta understood the 1/0's thing, but that gate explanation was a ray of light.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to that.

PopcornTreeCt
12-03-04, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by DodgingCars
I'm intrigued that so many people don't know how to use google to find out the answers to those things that intrigue them.

;)

That takes the "intriguing" aspect out of it. :)

In the sports world, Spud Webb always intrigued me. The guy was smaller than me and could dunk. Dunk on a regulation-height hoop. That amazes me, I can touch the net and that's about it.

Otto
12-03-04, 05:14 PM
milo: Well, I'll go one further then. :)

Gates and adders and such were known about for a long time. Heck, you can even make fully mechanical devices that implement this sort of logic. To make a modern computer, we needed memory.

The most basic form of memory is a flip-flop. A flip-flop consists of two NAND gates (a NAND gate is just an AND gate with a NOT gate on the output). You attach the output of one NAND gate to one of the inputs of the other one, and vice-versa. A google search gave me this image to demonstrate:
http://www.andrews.edu/~calkins/math/webtexts/flipflop.jpg
In this image, they use the terms A and B for the inputs. Normally these are called S and R, meaning "set" and "reset".

In this case, A is our "set". When you shove power onto this line, you've "set" the memory bit, and the output of Q will be "1", which just means power is coming out. When you shove power onto the B ("reset") line, you're resetting the bit, and it makes Q become "0", which means nothing comes out. When you have power on both A and B, then the system remembers whatever it already has there.

And there you have memory. You can set a value in there and remember it as long as you continue to give it power. This isn't the best way to do it, but it's the simplest to understand.

But it's the feedback that's the key. Feeding the output at the end back into the input at the beginning makes it work.

tasha99
12-03-04, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Otto
milo: Well, I'll go one further then. :)

Gates and adders and such were known about for a long time. Heck, you can even make fully mechanical devices that implement this sort of logic. To make a modern computer, we needed memory.

The most basic form of memory is a flip-flop. A flip-flop consists of two NAND gates (a NAND gate is just an AND gate with a NOT gate on the output). You attach the output of one NAND gate to one of the inputs of the other one, and vice-versa. A google search gave me this image to demonstrate:
http://www.andrews.edu/~calkins/math/webtexts/flipflop.jpg
In this image, they use the terms A and B for the inputs. Normally these are called S and R, meaning "set" and "reset".

In this case, A is our "set". When you shove power onto this line, you've "set" the memory bit, and the output of Q will be "1", which just means power is coming out. When you shove power onto the B ("reset") line, you're resetting the bit, and it makes Q become "0", which means nothing comes out. When you have power on both A and B, then the system remembers whatever it already has there.

And there you have memory. You can set a value in there and remember it as long as you continue to give it power. This isn't the best way to do it, but it's the simplest to understand.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo

That is the sound of someone who though she would never have to look at anything resembling computer architecture again. Thanks for bringing the nightmare back. :grunt:

Green Jello
12-03-04, 05:30 PM
Scientists actually speculate that if you started in America, you'd end up in the Indian Ocean.

Scientists speculate???!!! There is an exact opposite side of the planet to where you are. Simply look up the opposite longitude and latitude. There is no speculation involved.

Otto
12-03-04, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Green Jello
Scientists speculate???!!! There is an exact opposite side of the planet to where you are. Simply look up the opposite longitude and latitude. There is no speculation involved.
Sorry, but the earth is not a sphere. You'd be close, but determining the exact location is trickier than that. You need a very accurate model which you ain't gonna get with a piddly little globe/map. Yes, it can be calcuated exactly. No, it can't be calculated easily.

Giantrobo
12-03-04, 05:39 PM
Subliminal Advertising doesn't work. It's been really, really thoroughly debunked.

.... but it's pretty well accepted that subliminal advertising is hogwash.

Ha! Just because you can come up with some info on "String Theory" doesn't mean you know everything. :p

I can think of a situation where a "subliminal type" suggestion worked. The Exorcist. There were some scenes where a scary face was flashed on screen quickly. It was enough to make one uneasy because you would see it and go "WTF WAS THAT?!". But the face didn't have anythign to do with the scene.

Green Jello
12-03-04, 05:40 PM
Sorry, but the earth is not a sphere. You'd be close, but determining the exact location is trickier than that. You need a very accurate model which you ain't gonna get with a piddly little globe/map. Yes, it can be calcuated exactly. No, it can't be calculated easily.

I reallize that you can't get EXACT placement, but you CAN get 1000 times more accurate than just saying China and it doesn't take anything more than a globe or world map.

Th0r S1mpson
12-03-04, 05:44 PM
Holograms are basically photographs of the interference pattern from two different sets of light. The one that seem to move when you move them around are simply multiple exposures of the thing from different angles.

When you make a photo of the interference pattern, and then focus light at that photo from one of the original angles, the light interacts with the interference pattern to produce the other light beam that originally created it. And thus you see the 3d object. When you change the angle, you change which interference pattern you're looking at, and see a different object.

Interference patterns themselves are tricky, but check google for resources. They're actually very easy to understand if you ever did the wave experiment in a physics class. Yeah, I understand how they work. Does that mean I can't find them intriguing? -cracker-

I'm too lazy to look up the definition.

DeputyDave
12-03-04, 11:55 PM
Microwave ovens. When I first found out that the glass (or plastic) in the door isn’t stopping the microwaves from cooking you but the small holes in the screen, that blew me away. The fact that you can remove the glass (or plastic) and that you still won’t get cooked because the waves are too big to fit through the holes.

Th0r S1mpson
12-04-04, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by DeputyDave
The fact that you can remove the glass (or plastic) and that you still won’t get cooked because the waves are too big to fit through the holes.
You're kidding me, right?

Th0r S1mpson
12-04-04, 12:20 AM
And what about the microwave oven in my kitchen? Why is there just a piece of glass in the door? Seems like kind of a flimsy barrier to me. Don't the microwaves leak through the glass?

Actually, the glass has nothing to do with microwave leakage. Its just there so you can "watch the pot boil". If you look closely, you will see that there is a screen with small holes mounted inside of the glass. The holes are smaller than the wavelength of the microwaves. To the microwaves, the screen is a solid wall. On the other hand, visible light has a much smaller wavelength, which can easily pass through the holes. So what you have are microwaves that bounce into the screen and are reflected back into the cooking chamber, but visible light from the light bulb escaping through the screen and the glass window.

http://www.iem-inc.com/prnon1r.html
-eek- Okay, add me to the list of people who finds this intriguing.

Otto
12-04-04, 12:42 AM
-eek- Okay, add me to the list of people who finds this intriguing.
Never saw a Faraday cage in physics class? Same thing. The wavelength of the microwave EM radiation is around 12 centimeters. The general rule of thumb for a Faraday cage is that you make the holes 1/10th the size of the wavelength you want to block (or less, if you like). The holes in the screen on the microwave door are about 1-2 millimeters across, so the microwaves can't get through.

If you ever get bored, and have some chicken wire laying around, build a wooden box and cover the outsides in the chicken wire. Make sure you get all the edges covered with the wire. Leave a door that you can open and close easily. Now ground the cage and take a portable FM radio and tune it so it sounds good. Stick it in the cage and close the door. Voila, there goes your reception. Cell phone will work too, you can see the signal drop to nothing. The cage prevents the RF waves from getting in. Same thing, different frequency.

Giantrobo
12-04-04, 12:55 AM
Microwave ovens. When I first found out that the glass (or plastic) in the door isn’t stopping the microwaves from cooking you but the small holes in the screen, that blew me away. The fact that you can remove the glass (or plastic) and that you still won’t get cooked because the waves are too big to fit through the holes.

I heard a story where a guy took apart his microwave oven and pointed the exposed inner parts to the wall between his apartment and his neighbor. Over a period of time(days?) they got sick. :eek: He did this because he was pissed about being evicted.

Otto
12-04-04, 12:59 AM
Ha! Just because you can come up with some info on "String Theory" doesn't mean you know everything. :p

I can think of a situation where a "subliminal type" suggestion worked. The Exorcist. There were some scenes where a scary face was flashed on screen quickly. It was enough to make one uneasy because you would see it and go "WTF WAS THAT?!". But the face didn't have anythign to do with the scene.
Yes, but you could actually *see* that one. It was within your visual range. Several frames, at least. Generally, "subliminal advertising" is taken to mean flashing something that you don't actually see but your mind knows was there. Anything under a tenth of a second most people can't see, and that's the thinking behind that idea.

MonkeyG
12-04-04, 01:01 AM
If we did manage to dig a hole through the center of the earth and then dropped in, wouldn't we end up floating in the core due to gravity? Or would we go back and forth, up and down continuously?

Giantrobo
12-04-04, 01:04 AM
Yes, but you could actually *see* that one. It was within your visual range. Several frames, at least. Generally, "subliminal advertising" is taken to mean flashing something that you don't actually see but your mind knows was there. Anything under a tenth of a second most people can't see, and that's the thinking behind that idea.

Ah Ha! That's why I said "subliminal <i>type</i>". I knew you would try to ding me. :D

DeputyDave
12-04-04, 01:08 AM
I heard a story where a guy took apart his microwave oven and pointed the exposed inner parts to the wall between his apartment and his neighbor. Over a period of time(days?) they got sick. :eek: He did this because he was pissed about being evicted. I'd like to see that one on "MythBusters"

Giantrobo
12-04-04, 01:12 AM
I'd like to see that one on "MythBusters"

Dude, just do a search for "microwave guns" on yahoo. You get lotsa interesting stuff. :eek: The sites are probably monitered by the Government. :(:p

Otto
12-04-04, 01:22 AM
I heard a story where a guy took apart his microwave oven and pointed the exposed inner parts to the wall between his apartment and his neighbor. Over a period of time(days?) they got sick. :eek: He did this because he was pissed about being evicted.
The inner part is called a magnetron. It can't make you "sick", but it can cause damage to the more sensitive parts of the body. Eyes, brain, testes, etc. This generally would happen within a couple hours of exposure, in a non-concentrated situation (like cracking open a microwave and pointing it at a wall). Blindness, brain damage, sterility, that sort of thing. All the damage isn't caused by the microwave radiation itself, but the heat that would result. Eyes, brain, testes, these can't lose that heat as fast as other parts of the body, so they overheat more rapidly.

The magnetron inside a microwave oven cooks so well because the microwaves are concentrated in the oven cavity. They bounce off the surrounding cage and basically every emitted wave hits the food eventually. Exposing one would lose that concentration, so it'd take some time. But the effects would be pretty quick, and days of exposure would be unlikely, as you'd go blind first. Unless the guy went blind and couldn't find his way out of the apartment or something. ;)

shoppingbear
12-04-04, 05:54 AM
OK who besides me is kinda :lol: at Otto for taking every question so bloody seriously?? :lol: Otto, you're not one of the Mythbusters guys, are ya??? :rotfl:

Giantrobo
12-04-04, 07:33 AM
The inner part is called a magnetron. It can't make you "sick", but it can cause damage to the more sensitive parts of the body. Eyes, brain, testes, etc. This generally would happen within a couple hours of exposure, in a non-concentrated situation (like cracking open a microwave and pointing it at a wall). Blindness, brain damage, sterility, that sort of thing. All the damage isn't caused by the microwave radiation itself, but the heat that would result. Eyes, brain, testes, these can't lose that heat as fast as other parts of the body, so they overheat more rapidly.

The magnetron inside a microwave oven cooks so well because the microwaves are concentrated in the oven cavity. They bounce off the surrounding cage and basically every emitted wave hits the food eventually. Exposing one would lose that concentration, so it'd take some time. But the effects would be pretty quick, and days of exposure would be unlikely, as you'd go blind first. Unless the guy went blind and couldn't find his way out of the apartment or something. ;)

Ok, I'll have to find the story. I hate you Otto. ;)

http://www.bugsweeps.com/info/electronic_harassment.html

Directed Harmful High Energy Devices
This is the most dangerous form of electronic harassment and is quite easy to implement against a person. Directed harmful high energy microwave devices and weapons can include such devices and equipment that are easily available almost anywhere in the World where there are people. Microwave ovens can be modified to focus and direct up to 1200 kilowatts or more, depending on the model, of microwave energy at a person or property and are easy to produce. The results of an attack by a high energy device can be lethal, they can kill or at the least disable a human being or other animals. Attacks from high energy microwave weapons leave blisters, cause internal bruising and/or bleeding, stimulate cancer, cause cataracts, encourage tumors to grow, generate boils, or leave red patches on the skin. Directed Harmful High Energy Weapons will have effective ranges from the point of contact to several hundred yards. Directed Harmful High Energy Weapons can be used to destroy electronic devices and cause severe interference in computers and alarm systems which can allow forced entry or destruction of vital data. Radar guns are available from surplus stores most anywhere and can be obtained from ex-military sources or even police departments. Radar gun power outputs range from a two or three watts to 3 Megawatts! Portable radar guns range in size from small hand held devices to vehicle mounted long range high power models. These devices have very long ranges due to their greater power, higher frequencies and shorter wavelength. Radar guns emit long or short pulses of high energy capable of causing instant damage or death to living creatures. Semiconductor destruction or malfunction, brain damage & stopping vehicles are other uses for these devices. Other forms of directed harmful high energy include devices such as tasers, klystron guns (radar guns), ion beam guns, plasma pulse guns, soliton bombs, and many more devices.

Directional Microwave EMP Rifle (PARTIAL KIT) Partial kit (shown above). This partial kit will include a 50,000W (yes it says 50KW) Watt X-band military microwave magnetron with complete spec sheets from two manufacturers and operational information to make it work (about 30 pages), EMP rifle plans (over 49 pages), and qty:3 (12KV @ 1A) rectifiers. A device such as this can be made the size of a super soaker water gun, it operates at 9.2GHz and with a properly tuned horn antenna will have an effective range of over 300 yards (possibly more with larger antenna). Such a device could possibly cause semiconductors to burn out, microprocessors to malfunction, inductors to counter induce and create CEMF, induce RF noise, cause ionization of air or gases, cause junction rectification and erase computer data on hard drives, disk and solid state device. Operating such a device may be in violation of State or Federal Laws, consult your Local authority before operating such a device. UPS GROUND SHIPPING ONLY DUE TO INTENSE MAGNETIC FIELD FROM MAGNETRON. Do not purchase this kit if it is illegal to own or operate in your area. (This kit is real and available on the internet. The above photo and description was taken directly from an internet website, but we will not tell you where to find it!)

greg9x
12-04-04, 08:02 AM
Ok, I'll have to find the story. I hate you Otto. ;)

http://www.bugsweeps.com/info/electronic_harassment.html

and blah, blah, blah....

Thanks Otto for your initial response... I was going to but didn't feel like typing at the time...

As to this one, yes RF (radio frequency) waves can cause burns, tissue damage etc. But the effects will usually be noticed rather quickly. While internal damage may be done that would eventually make you sick, the sickness would be a result of the damage and probably wouldn't show up for years.

The 'weapons' they are describing sound like a satellite high power amplifier TWT (traveling wave tube) connnected up to some small directional transmitting array. (Satellite communications is my field). Yes this will cause burns and discomfort as well as electrical disruption if you could get it to work, get it focused and get close enough.... but as stated you need a 12KV power supply which is heavy (at least 50 lbs) and needs to be connected to a power source (208 VAC) so you are pretty limited where you can take it.
RF radiation is not the same as nuclear radiation.

Giantrobo
12-04-04, 08:33 AM
Ok, I guess you both have all the answers. I yield to both your friggin posts. :p

Phil L.
12-04-04, 09:58 AM
This thread gets my vote for fastest decline from fun thread to boring dry toast ever.

Giantrobo
12-04-04, 10:03 AM
This thread gets my vote for fastest decline from fun thread to boring dry toast ever.

It wasn't my fault. The brainiacs coulda just rolled with my post instead of picking everything apart. :p

Preacher
12-04-04, 10:19 AM
Meh.

Phil L.
12-04-04, 10:38 AM
It wasn't my fault. The brainiacs coulda just rolled with my post instead of picking everything apart. :p

That's true.
Besides, everyone knows it's more fun to discuss lesbians then it is to discuss science. :D

greg9x
12-04-04, 11:33 AM
That's true.
Besides, everyone knows it's more fun to discuss lesbians then it is to discuss science. :D

Actually lesbians are the result of......

whaaat
12-04-04, 12:03 PM
Why do mirrors reverse left and right, but not up and down?

That, and the contagious yawns thing.

Otto
12-04-04, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by shoppingbear
OK who besides me is kinda :lol: at Otto for taking every question so bloody seriously?? :lol: Otto, you're not one of the Mythbusters guys, are ya??? :rotfl:
Hey, I can't help it if I read a lot and have a good memory. :p

Besides, if somebody finds something intriguing, then they should find explanations of it intriguing as well. Do you want to go through life ignorant or something? ;)

Originally posted by whaaat
Why do mirrors reverse left and right, but not up and down?
What frickin' mirrors are you looking into? They don't reverse left and right. They reverse front to back.

Otto
12-04-04, 02:41 PM
Hey, we weren't picking things apart.. we were imparting knowledge. If people weren't so danged opposed to getting their learn on, they might find the thread more interesting. Personally, I quite enjoy the thread now as it actually has something useful and interesting as opposed to a bunch of shmucks saying "i'll never understand this because it's way too frickin' complicated and shit"... :mad:

:lol:

muggins
12-04-04, 02:42 PM
divergent states theory?