Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for VHS->DVD settop recorder - help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad has a big collection of homemade VHS tapes (I'm NOT talking about duping copyrighted work) and he'd like one of those VHS->DVD player/recorders that are available.

Being much more PC-fluent than my parents, I've never even contemplated one of these machines and therefore I know little to nothing about them.

It appears that they run the gamut on which DVD rocording method they use (DVD-R/+R/RW/RAM) but besides that, can anybody recommend any particular brand/model or set of functions?

Also, I'm ASSuming that my dad will be able to dub from VHS to DVD with these, but do they work both directions? Do they ALL record both ways? Is there anything I should be looking for/looking out for?

Walmart has a few of them on their website including an Emerson for $278 and a Symphonic for $247.

Clearly these are not the top of the line brand names, but the price is right. Any helpful thoughts on this?
Thanks

Last edited by new2theplace; 12-01-04 at 10:24 PM.