Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How come dvd rental places don't double dip?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever I go to my any video rental places they never double dip? If they have a movie it's never the special edition. Is buying the only way to see if a disc is worth double dipping?
Old 12-01-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know, but I think it's dumb. I rarely double dip, especially not just for features, but for a lot of movies I already own, I'd be glad to rent them just to check out the new stuff.
Old 12-01-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One - renting from a B&M isn't a great idea anymore. Poor selection.

Two - if they already have a film, nine times out of ten, they're not going to spend more money for another version. If the version they have is making them a profit, why fix what isn't broken?

Generally B&M renters don't care about, or have time to go into, the extras - considering that extras are usually the only obvious difference betwwen different releases, Video rental stores reflect this efficiently. To most rental places, there'd be no point in shelling out money for a newer release.
Old 12-01-04, 10:49 PM

I beg to differ on the poor selection from video stores. I do own a store and I often will buy the special edition of a movie that was already released. I do have customers like you that look for these dvd's and would rent them first to decide if they should buy. I'll also take their previous version in trade for the newer one as well.

I think that my selection is very good with over 15k+ dvd's to choose from. Sure, you can go online and rent by mail and wait but with me you can decide now and probably get it now.

Good video stores DO exist, you just have to seek us out from the Blockbuster/Hollywood/Movie Gallery/Netflix forest.

Paul J
Media Wave
Old 12-01-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paul... that's why I said "generally".
Old 12-02-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the HV store near me doesn't have Gremlins on dvd.
They said they tend not to carry low profile christmas movies.
Old 12-02-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ivelostr2
the HV store near me doesn't have Gremlins on dvd.
They said they tend not to carry low profile christmas movies.

stupid employees
Old 12-02-04, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good video stores DO exist, you just have to seek us out from the Blockbuster/Hollywood/Movie Gallery/Netflix forest.
You know why you see McDonalds on every street cornor? Because they make it simple and easy to order. Not because of the food quality. Same shit goes for video stores. If I can go to the local Blockbuster that is really close because it's owned by a huge company that can provide so many locations, then I will, instead of going to the little mom and pop store that is further away.

Video rental stores don't double dip for the simple reason that was stated. If something is making them money, why bother? a SE wouldn't automaticlly mean that it is going to get rented more.
Old 12-02-04, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree good rental places exist, but are hard to find.

A note: My business professor offered a few extra points on a test if we watched and then wrote one page on the movie Tucker. I live in a city of 70k with at least 5BB and 5HV and the class was able to lacate one copy. I bet there are more, but he changed the assignment after he called and BB said they did not stock it.
Old 12-02-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Re: How come dvd rental places don't double dip?

Originally posted by orangeguy
Whenever I go to my any video rental places they never double dip? If they have a movie it's never the special edition. Is buying the only way to see if a disc is worth double dipping?
Usually it's for budgetary reasons that rental stores don't double dip.
Old 12-02-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Back in the VHS days, we had one of the first Hi-Fi machines and the companies were just starting to reissue movies with the Hi-Fi soundtracks, but most of the rental stores kept the older copies and didn't bother with the newer ones. Like most VHS Hi-Fi decks, ours could only play the older linear tracks in mono, so it was extremely frustrating.
Old 12-02-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The video store I go to has double dipped before, but what irks me is they will throw away one cover box and use the other, and put both editions behind the same box. So you might pass up on a SE of Field of Dreams because it was behind the regular edition box or you might think you are getting an SE when it's the standard edition behind a SE box.
Old 12-02-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My guess is they don't think that the mainstream public is going to care about 2-3 versions of the same movie re-released over a period of a few years. As long as they have the title on hand for customers they likely figure thats good enough, most people won't have a clue, or care, if there are several editions of the same movie. Really, it doesn't make good business sense to stock a newer version of a movie they have on the shelf......it will either be confusing or will likely make the older copy no longer a moneymaker.
Old 12-02-04, 10:26 PM

i really dont like the big chains of rental places, lucky for me theres a "ma and pa" dvd rental place here where i live, dealing only in dvds, owned and operated by a man who loves movies and understands the "scene", he will always double dip, he also gets all the tv seasons as well and if he doesnt have something you want and you tell him he will order it even if it means you will be the only one to rent it. pretty nice to have that place around.