Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Cryptonomicon / Baroque Trilogy question & critique thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal Stephenson: Quicksilver

What's the latest on this? I think it's a prequel to Cyptonomicon (perhaps my favorite book ever and Stephenson's best, IMO) set in the 1700s. I've heard it has something to do with piracy and ships. Anything else?
Old 05-23-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Coming out in the fall, I think.

It does take place during the eighteenth century, and expect to see a lot of historical figures of the time like Isaac Newton.

I'm not sure that's it's exactly a prequel/sequel to Cryptonomicon, however. I've read some conflicting information. It's been described as taking place in the same timeline as Cryptonomicon and other times it isn't even mentioned.

It's also sub-titled "Volume One of the Baroque Cycle." (Which gets me thinking Oh, great, another trilogy.)
Old 05-23-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read all of Neal Stephenson's other works EXCEPT cryptonomicon. Give me the strength to make it 50 pages. I can take it from there.
Old 05-24-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

snow crash and zodiac were excellent
the diamond age and in the beginning there was the command line.... are ok

havent ready the big u or cryptonomicon yet.... (cyrpto is in the queue tho)
Old 07-07-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

page 312 of Cryptonomicon

ok..im this far in and this story has gone nowhere..is this worth the time and effort to finish?
Old 07-07-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I struggled with this book as well. I've read Snow Crash, Diamond Age and Zodiac and loved all three. Crytptonomicon was difficult to get into and I didn't feel any sense of reward by the end. I was going to get Quicksilver which has some of the same characters but when my brother said that he gave up on it, I wrote it off my list of books to read.
Old 07-07-04, 11:28 AM

Ditto here. I finished Cryptonomicon but wouldn't say it was a great read. Interesting, most definitely, but after all the hype about it, I would have to say I was a bit let down. I loved Snow Crash and the Diamond Age and would say I enjoyed Zodiac... The Big U I couldn't finish. It was a waste of time and recommend you stay away from that one.

I would like to read the Baroque Cycle, but after Cryptonomicon... I don't know. I've heard raves about those books, so maybe I'll give them a shot one day.
Old 07-07-04, 02:26 PM

Yeah, I struggled finishing it as well. There was a lot of stuff I really liked in it, but there was a fair bit of dry stuff that really slowed me down on it.

All in all I would still say I enjoyed the book, but I don't know how much of that is based solely on the chapter about Cap'n Crunch...

I picked up Quicksilver, but still haven't been motivated enough to start on it yet.
Old 07-07-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yea..think this one is going on the stack of unread to be finished at a later date..too much stuff i want to read this summer and this doorstop is slowing me down
Old 07-08-04, 12:33 AM

I loved Cryptonomicon. One of the best books I have read in the last few years(I have read it 4 times. lol). I found the book really entertaining. Most of the events are pretty much historically accurate, the technology parts were actually possible and it was hilarious.
Old 07-08-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yea..it staretd out ok..but after 300 + pages i would think the plot would move along..it hasnt
this guy obviuosly needed an editor on this one..more blaoted than some Clancy or King novels
Old 07-08-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Crypto. But if you're 300 pages in and not grabbed, you should move on to something else, because the next 600 probably won't grab you either.
Old 12-01-04, 08:27 PM

Anyone reading the Baroque Trilogy by Neal Stephenson?

I'm a huge fan of Stephenson. I love his early books like the Diamond Age and Snowcrash and his later non-cyberpunk books like Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Trilogy.

Just wondering if anyone else has read these books. I just finished book two: the Confusion and immidiately started the last book: the System of the World.

What I love about these books is that not only are they entertaining and hilarious, but they're not just fluff. There's actually a lot of history in them and I get to enjoy the book as a good story as well as exercise my brain a little bit.

Just a warning, these books aren't for everyone. They're very long, written in a some-what old fashioned writing style, and at first glance, the subject matter: the creation of a monetary system, the evolution of science, and the never ending conflicts between the European powers in the late 1600's / early 1700's isn't for everyone.

Like I said earlier though, I love them and even though they're very different from the Diamond Age, Snowcrash, and Zodiac, I still think they're amazing books and I can't wait for Stephenson's next novel.

Finally, for those of you who've read these books and Cryptonomicon, what's up with Enoch Root? He's probably one of my favorite characters and is a real mystery as to who he really is.

Oh yeah, the recent interview with Stephenson over at Slashdot is just hilarious.

Last edited by SiberianLlama; 12-01-04 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-02-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
They're on my enormous "to read someday" list.
Old 12-02-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished Quicksilver (it took me about a year) and loved it. The disconcerting jumps and gaps in the story were a little off putting (how the fuck did Jack wind up in the Harz mountains being chased by witches for example?) but the depth of research Stephenson was truly mind boggling.

Enoch Root is, I think, an immortal member of Societas Eruditorium, which I think is similar to being a wizard in Tolkein's universe. He distinctly Gandalf-like, isn't he? He's the only supernatural being in any of Stephenson's books and is probably in there to bring further consistency (just like the family names Shaftoe, Waterhouse, etc) .

I'm a long time Stephenson fan. My nom de intarweb is from Snow Crash. Cryptonomicon is probably my favorite book of his, Diamond Age is second.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-02-04 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-02-04, 06:54 PM

Hah, looking at your name Hiro, I had a sneaking suspicion you were a Snowcrash fan.

There are a lot of theories floating around out there as to who/what Enoch Root really is. The site I listed above does a really good job at tryinig to piece together all the little bits of info about him, but I haven't read it in a while because I'm waiting until after I finish The System of the World to read the updated theories.

As you get further into the Baroque Cycle, you see quite a few more familiar names pop-up that should ring a bell if you've read Cryptonomicon.

Speaking of which, Cryptonomicon is probably my favorite Stephenson book, and maybe my favorite book of all time. I've read it twice already and once I'm done with System, I'll probably reread it again to try and catch all the references in it to The Baroque Cycle. It's cool how even though Crypto was written first, Stephenson is able to tie in so many familiar names in the prequels.

The Diamond Age is a great book and I go back and forth between that and Snowcrash as to which I like 2nd best, after Crypto. I remember reading Diamong Age and thinking how cool it would be to actually learn from a book like the Primer. Zodiac is fun, but reads more like a thriller. The Big U, recently republished, was a really fun book that totally satirizes and blows out of proportion all the college stereotypes and is just crazy. Definitely a fun book to read.

I'm really curious as to where Stephenson goes from here. While I'd love a return to his more cyberpunkish roots, I'd also love for a sequel series to Cryptonomicon.

You can tell from reading his books that Stephenson must do a ton of research before writing. It's amazing how many different topics he seems to know volumes about. That's why I love his books so much. Yeah, it's fun to read books like the DaVinci Code, but really, the're pretty simplistic and are popcorn novels. You read them with very little effort. Stephenson's books are like steaks. You have to work at them with a fork and knife for a while to cut them up into little pieces before you can eat them, but once you do, they taste delicious and are well worth the effort.

Last edited by SiberianLlama; 12-02-04 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-23-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Anyone know of a site that has a sales pitch type synopsis of The Baroque Trilogy that doesn't give away any major plot points? I have a friend working on her Masters Degree in history and I think she would enjoy these books, even if they would probably add to her already huge reading load.

I myself am trying to read Quicksilver and while I like what I am reading, it is soooooooo loooooooong!!! Every page is filled with a ton of info it seems. I tried reading Cryptonomicon but had to return it to the library before I could make any real progress. What I read was great though, as Stephenson has a great sense of wit.
Old 05-18-07, 12:04 PM
Banned

Who is your favorite character in Cryptonomicon? (Neal Stephenson)

I was just re-reading this and I'd forgotten how much I love the people (and how many of them there are) that populate the story (except Andy Loeb : ).
I figured that this is a really popular book so I might just get some takers. If not then this thread will sink like many of Goto Dengo's comrades in the scene I was just reading on my smoke break.

I think my favorite is Dengo. I just enjoy watching the story through his eyes. I'm totally looking forward to the "attempt to escape from the mine" part and forgot how many cool scenes he is in. I really liked how his story arc flowed and, ultimately, where it went.
Old 05-18-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read this about 4 years ago, but, don't remember which character I liked best. I do recall being interested in the parts about phreaking the signal from the computers by listening. I'm going to say the I think grandfather of the present day character that was bizarre and the code breaker during the war.
Old 05-20-07, 03:09 PM
Banned

Dude! (I love saying that ) I just read through the Van Eck phreaking part on Friday on my commute home. Awesome!
I have to strongly agree that if you aren't hooked by page 300( ) you're not gonna get hooked.
Hiro 11- That is so cool about Enoch Root. I was thinking about that as well on Friday. I know I bought a copy of the second Baroque Cycle. I just cannot find it. I'm looking forward to tracing Avi's and Cantrell's lineage in these. I hope Stephenson didn't forget Cantrell.
Old 05-28-07, 03:54 AM

Holy Resurrected Thread Batman!

Once again, I'll chime in with how much I love all of Stephenson's books, but especially his last four (Crypto, Quicksliver, Confusion, and System). It's great tracing the lineages as well as trying to figue out all the connnections between the books involving the "heavy gold," data cards, and whatnot.

Kudama - Goto Dengo is a great character, but I think I'm going to have to go with Bobby Shaftoe as my favorite. Special consideration for Douglas MacArthur (gotta love the pink bathrobe!) and the Shaftoe Brothers (cousins?) in the modern-day storyline for great side-characters.

And any book where one of the main villains is simply referred to as "The Dentist" has to be awesome.

Going back to Goto Dengo again, I really like his ancestor Gabriel Goto in the Baroque Cycle. I remember reading the name the first time and thinking... hey, this sounds familiar, and then it hit me, Goto Dengo! and it was so cool making the connections.

Two questions:

1. Has any read the recently republished Neal Stephenson/J. Frederick George novels Interface and The Cobweb? I thought they were good, but kind of Stephenson-lite, kind of like the way Zodiac was. Enjoyable, but not as "meaty" I guess as his other books.

2. Has anyone heard or ready anything about Stephenson's next book(s)? I can't wait to see what he's going to do next. While I'd love for him to continue the storyline from the Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle, something tells me that he's going to do something different.
Old 08-29-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Can I ask a question bout these books?

I read Cryptonimocon and felt thet the story would have been stronger if they just focused on the WWII parts and gave a cursory gance at the modern day story, but it had me interested enough to go out and buy QUICKSILVER.

So I bought the book, and accidently left it at home when I went on vacation, so I went to Borders to buy it again and found TWO versions in the bookstore....one was the one I bought, and then there was a version TRIPLE the size...apon investigating the origional version I bought was JUST quicksilver, and there was SEPERATE books KING OF THE VAGABONDS and ODALISQUE. In the 900 page version all three books compose sort of volumes within the book QUICKSILVER.

So what im wondering, what came first, the 900 page versions which were later split to form more managable 300 page books, or the 300 page books (9 in all) which were combined into a sort of COLLECTION TRILOGY?
Old 08-30-07, 10:44 AM

The three 900 page versions came first:

Quicksilver vol. 1

The Confusion vol. 2

and The System of the World vol. 3

Later on, since they were so big, these three volumes were broken up into smaller books:

Quicksilver
Book 1 - Quicksilver
Book 2 - The King of the Vagabonds
Book 3 - Odalisque

The Confusion
Book 1 - Bonanza
Book 2 - The Juncto

The System of the World
Book 1 - Solomon's Gold
Book 2 - Currency
Book 3 - The System of the World

Hope that answers your question.