DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I Heart the Huckabees - $39.98 MSRP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Heart the Huckabees - $39.98 MSRP!!

from dvdanswers.com:

Fox Home Entertainment has just announced comedy I Heart Huckabees which stars Dustin Hoffman, Isabelle Huppert, Jude Law, Jason Schwartzman and Naomi Watts. The film, from Three Kings director David O. Russell, will be available to own from the 22nd February next year. The retail price will be set at around $39.98. The dual-sided disc will carry both anamorphic widescreen and full screen presentations along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 and Spanish Dolby Surround tracks. Extras will include a director commentary, a cast audio commentary with Jason Schwartzman, Mark Wahlberg and Naomi Watts, a production featurette, twenty-two extended and deleted scenes, five cast outtakes and a segment of the Charlie Rose Show. Completing the package will be an Infomercial (long version, Informercial Extra Dialogue tangents and Jon Brion's performances, a behind the scenes of the Detective's Infomercial featurette, six Open-Spaces Coalition PSA's, a photo montage, an inside look at 'In Her Shoes', TV spots and trailers. The artwork hasn't yet been released I'm afraid, but we'll bring you that shortly. Stay tuned.
Old 11-29-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yikes.
Old 11-29-04, 06:50 PM

Is the amaray case made of gold plate or something?
Old 11-29-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems like alot to fit even on a dual-sided disc.

Does these people think they're Criterion or something?
Old 11-29-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drjay
Seems like alot to fit even on a dual-sided disc.
That's because DVD Answers is wrong. The first disc will be two-sided and have each version of the movie, P&S/WS, and the commentaries. There will also be a second disc for most of the extras, including the 22 extended/deleted scenes.

Does these people think they're Criterion or something?
No, but if it were from Criterion at the same price, few people would be complaining.

Seriously, Fox's web site does list a price of $39.98 U.S. for the DVD, which DVD Answers repeated, but the price is probably wrong. The same entry for the DVD at the Fox press site also lists a Canadian price of $41.98, and all Fox DVDs at that Canadian price retail for $27.98 U.S. I'm sure the latter is the real U.S. price.
Old 11-29-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the movie didn't do very well in theaters, the higher price may be an attempt for Fox to recoup a little more $$.
Old 11-29-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fox must think that it's still 1998.
Old 11-29-04, 07:49 PM

I don't care how much this baby costs -- it was one of my favorite films of 2004, and a wealth of extras only makes it sweeter. Gracias for the info!
Old 11-29-04, 09:39 PM

Two discs?
Tons of extras?
Dual-sided disc?
Charging 39.98 MSRP?

I love the movie but this is quite the mixed bag. I sure hope that price is a mistake; I can live with a DVD-10, but there's really no excuse for retail price to go above 30 unless there are 3 or more discs.
Old 11-29-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh, if it's going to be a two-disc set; why not have widescreen plus some extras on one disc and full screen plus some extras on another disc? Jesus Christ Fox, can you get anything friggin' right for once now?
Old 11-29-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dabaomb
Fox must think that it's still 1998.
Old 11-29-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Uh, if it's going to be a two-disc set; why not have widescreen plus some extras on one disc and full screen plus some extras on another disc? Jesus Christ Fox, can you get anything friggin' right for once now?
You don't see many 2-disc editions like this -- "Reservoir Dogs" would be the only that I think I own -- because the studios are probably afraid that people would give one of the DVDs away or sell them.

Or even that rental places would be able to "double-dip" on the rentals by offering each disc seperately. So instead of buying ten copies for rental, they'd only buy five and rent out each disc seperately.
Old 11-30-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't wait. I love this film.

However, I hope that price is a mistake.
Old 11-30-04, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by achau9598
Since the movie didn't do very well in theaters, the higher price may be an attempt for Fox to recoup a little more $$.
Well, then they should be prepared to not do very well selling these either. Not many people are going to shell out that kind of $$.
Old 11-30-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Now that's what I call an existential price!
Old 11-30-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
...Or even that rental places would be able to "double-dip" on the rentals by offering each disc seperately. So instead of buying ten copies for rental, they'd only buy five and rent out each disc seperately.
I HATE the way Hollywood Video does that... they even split the discs when they put them out PPV.
Old 11-30-04, 02:26 AM

Can somebody explain me what's the deal with the heart symbol? Isn't it "I LOVE HUCKABEES"??? Or that Heart thing is related somewhat to the movie? Please...
Old 11-30-04, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by danyanez
Can somebody explain me what's the deal with the heart symbol? Isn't it "I LOVE HUCKABEES"??? Or that Heart thing is related somewhat to the movie? Please...
It's always seen as a heart, and is officially supposed to be pronounced "heart." The gimmickiness of the phrase is part of the point.
Old 11-30-04, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
You don't see many 2-disc editions like this -- "Reservoir Dogs" would be the only that I think I own -- because the studios are probably afraid that people would give one of the DVDs away or sell them.

Or even that rental places would be able to "double-dip" on the rentals by offering each disc seperately. So instead of buying ten copies for rental, they'd only buy five and rent out each disc seperately.
Elf: WS on one disc, FS on the other; identical features on both discs (I heard that Movie Trading Co rents each disc out separately)

Finding Nemo: I see tons of e-bay/half.com listings where only one disc is being sold.
Old 11-30-04, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No matter what the MSRP, you know that on release week, it'll be under $20. Also, like...2 months later, you'll be able to get it at used places for under $15. I don't see why people are freaking out.
Old 11-30-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Because it's typical that a MSRP of $29.99 means $19.99 come release date. It wont get any lower because this film isn't mainstream enough to warrent it be a major loss leader. At a MSRP of $39.99 it will be priced at around $22.99-27.99 range at your local best buy and so forth.
Old 11-30-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
No matter what the MSRP, you know that on release week, it'll be under $20. Also, like...2 months later, you'll be able to get it at used places for under $15. I don't see why people are freaking out.
maybe on a blockbuster film. this "its only the MSRP" crap is really getting old. the fact is that the higher the MSRP is, the higher the price after discount will be. Best Buy will offer this at 50% off retail? please. it will be 27.99 at the very least, probably 29.99. online maybe it will get as low as 24.99. MSRP is obviously extremely important in what the final cost would be on *most* movies.
Old 11-30-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait a couple weeks and get it PVD at Blockbuster or Hollywood for 12.99 if you don't wanna pay the outlandish retail price.
Old 11-30-04, 09:26 AM

This reminds me of the Mulholland Drive DVD. It was ridiculously expensive in the US AND it had NO extras. I bought the Korean version, which had a fair amount of extras and had it shipped to me, and it was still cheaper than what the US version would have been.

Anyway, do independent DVDs tend to have a higher MSRP? It seems that that is the case for Mulholland Drive and for this one as well.
Old 11-30-04, 10:00 AM

Smaller audience, means greater risk=Higher price. Look at Anime.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.