International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Battle Royale 1/2

Old 11-29-04, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battle Royale 1/2

I'm looking into getting one of the various Battle Royale 1/2 version out but with the many choices I'm having a hard time figuring out which are the ones to look out for -- and surprisingly there is not much in the archived posts.... Only real requirement is that its R0/NTSC, otherwise I want the best picture/sound/extras avaliable. Just nothing OOP, unless they arent too hard to track down.

Also tips on where to find it would be great.
Old 11-29-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately, no one version does the trick.

http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/index.html
http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3...=ok&region=%25
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1550

That should help, should you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old 11-29-04, 03:20 PM

not exactly the news I was hoping for, but thanks for the information non the less.
Old 11-29-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No kidding. I've seen people with 3 different versions of the original film.

1. The Tartan Theatrical Cut (For obvious reasons)
2. The Tartan Collector's Edition SV Set (Be it tin or DTS, for the subtitled extras, though the film itself has ghosting issues.)
3. The Starmax Special Edition (For the extended cut, with proper video quality. Without proper english subs on the added scenes!)

If you haven't seen the film, i'd go with 1. You can always get the others later if you really want them. They are only required viewing if you are a hardcore fan.
Old 11-29-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of discussion in this thread from earlier this year ....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=338704
Old 11-29-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's so much stuff out there... lemme sum up my experience. I own/owned the Tartan R0/NTSC theatrical cut and the Starmax extended cut. The Starmax transfer is the better of the two, but the subs are very annoying to me... it looks like they're constantly in ALL BOLD SCRIPT.

But, more than that, I despise the new scenes, so much that they nearly ruin the movie for me. My advice is to get the original theatrical cut and don't look back. I know, I know... curiosity got the better of me, and I bought the extended Starmax version... but I traded it away immediately after viewing it the first time.
Old 11-29-04, 07:04 PM

i'm in agreement with richard, but i came to the conclusion the other way around. bought the tartan 2 disc directors cut first. loved the film. watched it 8 times. then i got the tartan theatrical ntsc cut and haven't looked back since. more isn't always better.
Old 11-29-04, 10:23 PM

The biggest pisser is that the Tartan theatrical cut is ~30 us (16 pounds) while the Starmax 2 disk is 25......oh choices
Old 11-30-04, 12:37 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
SRotblat,

Having just watched "BRII" this evening (it is not available in a Region 0 / NTSC version, by the way), I'm actually going to throw in a vote for the Region 0 / NTSC Korean Director's Cut of the original "BR"....it's available for $23.99 at yesasia.com. They have several other versions as well.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mao
SRotblat,

Having just watched "BRII" this evening (it is not available in a Region 0 / NTSC version, by the way), I'm actually going to throw in a vote for the Region 0 / NTSC Korean Director's Cut of the original "BR"....it's available for $23.99 at yesasia.com. They have several other versions as well.

Good luck!
Either way you go... good luck! I'd avoid the extended cut of the film as a first experience, since the added scenes are detrimental to the film's pacing.
Old 11-30-04, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Mao
SRotblat,

Having just watched "BRII" this evening (it is not available in a Region 0 / NTSC version, by the way)
actually yes it is:
http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/br2.html#korea
Old 11-30-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
As others have pointed out, there is a Region 0, NTSC version of Battle Royale 2. In fact, I own one (even though I kind of wish I didn't, not nearly as good as the first).
Old 11-30-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by clckworang
As others have pointed out, there is a Region 0, NTSC version of Battle Royale 2. In fact, I own one (even though I kind of wish I didn't, not nearly as good as the first).
Yes, if you didn't love the first one, you may want to hold off buying the second.
Old 11-30-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And if you love the first one... you might still consider holding off on the second! ;0
Old 11-30-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Originally posted by DrGerbil
Either way you go... good luck! I'd avoid the extended cut of the film as a first experience, since the added scenes are detrimental to the film's pacing.
Actually the extended version was my first experience with the film. And believe it or not, it's still my only experience. I bought the Starmax Korean version when it first came out. I really like the film and think the disc looks and sounds great, and have watched the film several times, but I have yet to see the original theatrical version! I will have to pick up the Tartan disc one of these days, because after all the talk here, I'm very curious as to how that cut compares.
Old 11-30-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Actually the extended version was my first experience with the film. And believe it or not, it's still my only experience. I bought the Starmax Korean version when it first came out. I really like the film and think the disc looks and sounds great, and have watched the film several times, but I have yet to see the original theatrical version! I will have to pick up the Tartan disc one of these days, because after all the talk here, I'm very curious as to how that cut compares.
Yes... after watching nothing but the extended cut, I finally got the theatrical. I must admit, I haven't bothered with the extended cut since... I didn't miss Nobu's requiem at all.
Old 12-29-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
has anyone picked up this version? i am mainly concerned about the subtitles and how they are with this version.
Old 12-29-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
has anyone picked up this version? i am mainly concerned about the subtitles and how they are with this version.
The subtitles are exactly the same as those found on the Starmax release.
Old 12-29-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so are there any good region 0 versions of movie number 2?
Old 12-30-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No matter which region you buy it, Battle Royale 2 will still be a bad movie
Old 12-30-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read the title and thought it was announcing a prequel.
Old 12-30-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Battle Royale 2 will still be a bad movie
I quote Paul Verhoeven from his Starship Troopers Commentary track, "BAD, BAD, BAD!!!"
Old 12-31-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I originally bought the R3 years ago when it was first released. I was curious about the extended cut and when it was posted here that Amazon.UK had the tin mispriced for $18 shipped I bought it. Even though I didn't like it as much after viewing it; I still thought it was a good deal. I'm glad I didn't pass it up because the extras were pretty good and the only scene I'd keep is the flashback to the crazy girl's childhood. No wonder she was so f*cked up.

I've been meaning to replace the R3 with an anamorphic version since it looks terrible on my 16X9 monitor; is the one being discussed here (R0 NTSC) a good replacement?
Old 01-25-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, just to confirm, is this the theatrical version of Battle Royale? I'm interested in (finally) picking up this film and it seems from the discussion here that theatrical cut is the way to go. Plus, that's a nice price (though I'm sure there are additional charges).

Also, it does not say anamorphic so should I assume it isn't?

Last edited by mifuneral; 01-25-06 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mifuneral
OK, just to confirm, is this the theatrical version of Battle Royale? I'm interested in (finally) picking up this film and it seems from the discussion here that theatrical cut is the way to go. Plus, that's a nice price (though I'm sure there are additional charges).

Also, it does not say anamorphic so should I assume it isn't?
It's non anamorphic but the the DTS track rocks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.