Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I Want My Wonder Years Complete Seasons on DVD...Who's with me?????

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-04, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides agreeing or disagreeing with me that this show deserves to be on dvd, can anyone else give any info on the status of this classic:-) Thanks!!

Lou

My DVD Collection List
Old 11-28-04, 09:08 AM

That's what's been plauging the Spaced DVD here too...

I always thought the hang-up for getting this one out was the music rights.
Old 11-28-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They had a difficult enough time getting the music rights for Freaks and Geeks, which ran for 14 episodes...at this stage of the game, a Wonder Years release seems impossible.
Old 11-28-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These Wonder Years topics pop up all of the time. It's definitely something I'd invest money in, but as in every other Wonder Years thread, yes, the music rights is making this impossible to have happen anytime soon at all. It's a nice thought but we'll just have to live without it I guess.
Old 11-28-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well...you can find them on ebay if you are dying for them. Sellers provide cover art, disc art, menu's, etc.
Old 11-28-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by PacMan2006
Well...you can find them on ebay if you are dying for them. Sellers provide cover art, disc art, menu's, etc.
they also provide bootlegs. So it's not something that should be discussed about here and should never even be considered an option.

Music rights is really the only thing holding this back.
Old 11-28-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show also hits Fox Family sometimes, but yeah, it needs to be on dvd.
Old 11-28-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I say f' the FCC and replace what music they have to. They used a lot of music, yes, but I want this show on DVD, not the damn soundtrack. And for the certain songs they feel need to be integral to the show, pay the extra for those and make it up by replacing what you can. I wish they would do that with WKRP as well.
Old 11-28-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
I say f' the FCC and replace what music they have to. They used a lot of music, yes, but I want this show on DVD, not the damn soundtrack. And for the certain songs they feel need to be integral to the show, pay the extra for those and make it up by replacing what you can. I wish they would do that with WKRP as well.
the music is what helped make the show. the fcc has nothing to do with this, its record companys being greedy jerks.
Old 11-28-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, a lot of people have to be paid to clear the music. But you can't replace it. It is what made certain moments of the show feel special. You are taking the music too much for granted, but if they released it with different tunes, it would stick out.

Creator of Freaks and Geeks stated he wasn't going to put the show on DVD if they had to change one song.
Old 11-28-04, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
My thoughts exactly. I don't remember a single song from any of the episodes (except the one over the opening credits). So I could care less if the music is original or new - I sure as hell wouldn't be able to tell the difference (unless it wasn't the period music, of course).
Old 11-29-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Correction to above post...I didn't mean FCC...I meant RIAA. F' the RIAA!!!!!

(I had FCC on the brain after visiting the Otter Farm and reading the post about the FCC proposal to censor satellite radio.)
Old 11-29-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dream, dream, dreammmm...
Old 11-29-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mountain Biker
My thoughts exactly. I don't remember a single song from any of the episodes (except the one over the opening credits). So I could care less if the music is original or new - I sure as hell wouldn't be able to tell the difference (unless it wasn't the period music, of course).
My thoughts as well.

I'm guessing music rights are holding back my other favorite show of all time, Fastlane, from coming out on DVD. Just change the songs, dammit.
Old 11-29-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Changing the songs does effect the show. For a bunch of folks who cry a lot when a scene is altered or you don't get it in DTS or if it's not in the correct aspect, it seems a little odd to be alright when it comes to sound altering. If they did release them altered there would be a mass amount of folks screaming about how this is beyond wrong with many online petitions to follow.
Old 11-29-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but I'd have my DVD set of the Wonder Years. You gotta remember Jack, it's all about me.
Old 11-29-04, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Changing the songs does effect the show.

Only if you remember them, which I certainly don't. They did this with Dawsons Creek and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the shows at all. Sure, the songs weren't the originals, but they were still songs that sounded great and fit in just fine if you ask me.

To each their own I guess
Old 11-29-04, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 725 Likes on 478 Posts
Changing the songs does effect the show. For a bunch of folks who cry a lot when a scene is altered or you don't get it in DTS or if it's not in the correct aspect, it seems a little odd to be alright when it comes to sound altering. If they did release them altered there would be a mass amount of folks screaming about how this is beyond wrong with many online petitions to follow.
And there would also be some happy folks. At least there would be some progress as opposed to nothing.
Old 11-29-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Screwing around with a product is still screwing around with it. Messing around with a program and changing it around has made folks hate Lucas. What would be the difference in this case? "Oh, it's just music" ? Still something that folks will complain about.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 11-29-04 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

Well congrats to you. But messing around with a program changing it around has made folks hate Lucas. To say that screwing around with the songs wouldn't effect the final product to some degree or being cool with it in this case would mean that you can never complain about it when other creators do it.
This isn't Star Wars... Not even in the same league.
Old 11-29-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

no, it's not. but the idea is there. If you are ok with change, then why shouldn't it be ok for others to do it when they do it for whatever reason.

I want the same thing I saw. Why not just release it with yakety sax replacing the music that they couldn't get the rights to? Now that I would buy. oh wai...
Old 11-29-04, 08:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by The Cow
This isn't Star Wars... Not even in the same league.
thats not the point. changing something is changing something
Old 11-29-04, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Me007gold
thats not the point. changing something is changing something
And change is not always a bad thing.
Old 11-29-04, 10:03 PM
Suspended

as stated before, i'm a big fan of the show, and i watched religiously.

this would be a 1st day buy for me if ever released.

but changing the music, would not effect a single episode in my mind..

the music did not play an integral part of the show at all.

at worst get some artists to cover the original songs, and it'd be easy to fit the mood back into certain scenes. ( and you can do that at a 1/100th of the cost)
Old 11-29-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because you people don't think the music played an integral part in the series doesn't mean that everyone or even the majority of people who like the show agree.

Obviously if the creators took the time to select the specific songs that were used, they thought the music was important in setting the mood and time period. People who experienced the late '60s and early '70s, or those who are just familiar with the music, would probably agree.

This show has had multiple CDs released with music in it, andit is a very important part.

That said, I have no doubt that if Freaks & Geeks, which ran for not even a full season, could clear that music and turn a profit. The Wonder Years, a great success for years with critics and audiences, could do the same and turn a profit for Fox. Yes, there's more music, and no doubt more expensive, but "The Wonder Years" was hella popular and people would buy it.

Music altered is better than not at all, but best of all is the episodes as they aired, even if it's at a higher price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.