Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name these two Disney Channel movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-27-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two films I remember airing on the Disney Channel about 10-15 years ago. They came on frequently, but I can't remember the title. Searching online is pointless considering the clues I have to go on. Please tell me if you recognize these two films:

Film #1:
It involves a kid and a legend of some type of Loch Ness monster in a lake which turns out not to be a monster but a piece of machinery: a crane of some sort covered with lake gunk making it look like a loch ness. The identity of the monster is revealed at night near the end of the film.

Film #2:
It involves a kid that's able to paint elaborate pictures with his hair. He plucks out a thicket of hair, makes a paintbrush out of it, and criss-crosses the canvas in large swoops. The hair magically paints the picture in seconds. I seem to remember something about a movie theater and the boy being kidnapped into another world/dimension to paint pictures. Over the course of his imprisonment his hair grows ridiculously long: several feet (although that may be an exaggeration of my memory).

I know these films seem stupid, but does anyone remember seeing these?

Last edited by cupon; 11-27-04 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-27-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 99% sure they're from the same movie:

The Peanut Butter Solution

http://imdb.com/title/tt0089789/

How I remember this is beyond me.
Old 11-27-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dick_grayson
I'm 99% sure they're from the same movie:

The Peanut Butter Solution

How I remember this is beyond me.
That's film #2! Thanks. The film's mini message board on imdb clears it up completely, although film #1 is still a mystery.

I remember the lake Loch Ness movie might have been surrounded by a junk yard. I remember crumpled cars. The boy's interest in the monster is piqued when he begins to heard it at night. It sounded like a banshee.

Once he snuck over to the lake (or was it a swamp) to catch a glimpse of L.N. and saw something rise out of the lake. I think he ran away in fright.

Near the end when the secret was revealed that L.N. was just a piece of machinery covered in gunk, the "banshee" sound was just the old machinery moving about.
Old 11-27-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cupon
That's film #2! Thanks. The film's mini message board on imdb clears it up completely, although film #1 is still a mystery.

I remember the lake Loch Ness movie might have been surrounded by a junk yard. I remember crumpled cars. The boy's interest in the monster is piqued when he begins to heard it at night. It sounded like a banshee.

Once he stuck over to the lake (or was it a swamp) to catch a glimpse of L.N. and saw something rise out of the lake. I think he ran away in fright.

Near the end when the secret was revealed that L.N. was just a piece of machinery covered in gunk, the "banshee" sound was just the old machinery moving about.
I remember that one too. They drained the lake to find out it was just a crane or something. I thought they were the same movie, but since it was so long ago....who knows. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 11-27-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember that one too. They drained the lake to find out it was just a crane or something. I thought they were the same movie, but since it was so long ago....who knows. I'll see if I can find it.
Oh, so they "drained" the lake. That's a good clue. I googled several searches for disney, crane, drain, monster, loch ness, etc and came up with one semi-useful result:

http://www.suite101.com/discussion.c.../98768/1026158
Subject: Boy disappears in lake looking for monster (giant crane)

In the early 80's there was a movie about some kids that see a monster in a lake. One of the boys decides to go into the water and he disappears. The townspeople drain the lake hoping to find the boy. The monster is then revealed and is a giant crane. The boy is found alive inside the crane cab. He found an air pocket and was able to survive.
Please help
The film's title is still a mystery.
Old 11-27-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

found it:

It's called "The Quest"

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0091810
Old 11-27-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

found it:

It's called "The Quest"

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0091810
Incredible! You're like a film detective. Too bad neither film is available on DVD. I just can bring myself to purchase a VHS copy: it's too defeatist.

Thanks again dick_grayson.
Old 11-27-04, 06:09 PM

I know the mystery has been solved, but just thought I'd add something.

#1 on first impulse, reminded me of an old made for TV Disney movied that I used to LOVE as a kid... "The Strange Monster of Strawberry Cove".... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067798/

This movie was actually a sequel of sorts to a 1969 Disney flick called "The Secret of Pirates' Inn" which I liked even better than the Strawberry Cove one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067798/

These movies starred a trio of kids, Scott, his sister Tippy, and their friend "Catfish"... anyone else remember these?