Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Who else was extremely aroused during The Machinist?

IMRICKJAMES
11-26-04, 09:53 PM
This is the first movie ever that I was insanely dumbfounded. I barely got anything past, Wow, Christian Bale is damn skinny. Especially the ending and the weird big, fat guy! Huh?

Hendrik
11-27-04, 11:30 AM
...you are not alone (http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/machinist.html)...

. . . ;) . . .

Matthew Chmiel
11-27-04, 12:22 PM
Ugh. Sigh.

- Trevor hasn't been sleeping for a year since the hit-and-run, thus his mental health has slowly gone to shit.
- "Ivan" was created by Trevor. "Ivan" is not real. Everything involving "Ivan" somehow resembles Trevor's past prior to the hit-and-run (the leather jacket, the red muscle car, the drinking, seeing prostitutes, etc). All the post-its written on the fridge were created by Trevor himself, in more of an attempt to finally come clean with what occured a year ago. There are numerous scenes throughout the film in which it is made clear that "Ivan" is not real (the co-workers telling Trevor, the bartender giving Trevor a weird look, the rolling of the carpet, etc).
- "Nicholas" was a representation of the boy that Trevor hit with his car. "Nicholas" is not real. When Trevor is in "Marie's" home and sees "Nicholas'" handwriting matching that of the post-its, Trevor is suspicious. But it all makes sense since "Nicholas" is not real and Trevor is doing all of this in his mind.
- "Marie" was a representation of the boy's mother that Trevor saw after the hit-and-run. "Marie" is not real. Whenever Trevor went to the coffee shop, he would imagine the events of "Marie" and himself talking in his head.
- The entire trip to the amusement park/"Marie's" house NEVER happened.
- The people at the factory are real and fear that there is something wrong with Trevor.
- Stevie and Trevor have been friends for a while, thus Stevie's trust in Trevor.

Make a little bit more sense?

solipsta
11-28-04, 01:10 AM
I thought it was a great film and Bale did a wonderful job. It had a very "fightclub-esque" feel to it.

Matthew Chmiel
11-28-04, 02:23 AM
I thought it was a great film and Bale did a wonderful job. It had a very "fightclub-esque" feel to it.
It reminded me more of Memento than Fight Club. Only connection that it has towards Fight Club is that Trevor (Bale) creates an imaginary "friend" (even if it was a "twisted" representation of himself) whereas The Narrator in Fight Club WAS ACTING as Tyler Durden. Trevor created none of "Ivan's" actions.

IMRICKJAMES
11-28-04, 03:41 AM
Don't get me wrong. Saying I was really confused doesn't mean I didn't like it. I thought overall it was a really good movie, especially visually.

Ketamine
06-09-05, 11:43 AM
Great movie. One of those films that stays with you for days after it is over. Very dark and disturbing at times, but nothing is as disturbing as seeing Bale with his shirt off. Knowing what this guy looked like before the weight loss and now seeing him is just unbelievable. Not sure why you wouldn't understand this movie; it is all pretty much explained by the end. Highly recommend this movie.

Big Worms
06-11-05, 11:51 AM
Just saw it last night. Awesome movie! Christian Bale was very good in it, and I really liked the look of the movie. I did not find that it was a hard movie to understand in fact I found it to be one of the most easiest movies to understand.

But anyway, highly recommend this movie!

Goat3001
06-11-05, 12:11 PM
I highly recommend it as well. It was shot very well and Christian Bale creeped the hell out of me. I'm usually good with calling the ending before the movies over and I had a few ideas while the movie was going on but I never expected that ending.

mifuneral
06-11-05, 12:18 PM
Great performance by Bale, awesome mood, good cinematography, and really cool soundtrack. I especially love how everything tied together so well at the end. This is definitely going to get repeated spins in my player. Best blind buy in a long time.

Frank TJ Mackey
06-11-05, 12:43 PM
When Bale would be shirtless and showing his spiney back, I almost threw up. He's lucky he didn't get permanently messed up losing that much weight.

Cool movie though.

Zodiac_Speaking
06-11-05, 04:07 PM
Its a shame it had a very limited theatrical run. Seeing the posts here proves that there is a market for "different" films. Really good movie; another reason why I like Bale.

dsa_shea
06-11-05, 05:07 PM
This is a movie that should have gotten more props during its short run at the theater. Goes to show that some good movies are often passed on for some of the bullshit that gets theater time as well as earning tons of money.

JumpCutz
06-11-05, 05:18 PM
Yes. A superb movie. Bale is just fantastic.

I still can't get over his physical transformation.
IMHO more impressive than DeNiro's weight gain for Raging Bull.

LivingINClip
06-11-05, 06:17 PM
I had expected that Ivan was Trevor's creation, but for the life of me, I could not figure out why, until the end.

Great movie.

Christian Bale is a great actor.
Brad Anderson is proving to be a great director (Session 9 was also great).

fumanstan
06-11-05, 06:40 PM
Very good movie. Blind bought it today as a fan of Christian Bale and watched it this afternoon. His weight loss was crazy, especially the beginning in that scene with Stevie where he's in the bathroom. Gross stuff.

Ketamine
06-11-05, 10:59 PM
Glad people are starting to talk about this film. Watched it a few days ago and I still find myself thinking about it days later. That is the sign of a good film to me.

BTW: I'm going on his diet starting tomorrow.

Spiderbite
06-11-05, 11:39 PM
I wasn't confused at all. You just have to stay with it until the end but I thought everything wrapped up nicely and all the pieces fell into place.

Very good film. Bale is astonishing to see.

Shonn
06-12-05, 03:04 AM
Loved the movie, did it make anyone else think of that commercial where a teenager hits and runs a person and is seeing them everywhere? The first time I saw that commercial I thought it could make a cool movie and Machinist was just that.

maxinquaye
06-12-05, 04:54 AM
i was confused also...why christian bale would put his health on the line for such a terrible film.

the direction was all over the place tonally. the lingering "look at me!" shots of his grotesque body as he literally posed and preened for the camera. the psuedo-intellectual empty references to dostoevsky literally painted on the wall. watching a gimpy gumby...i mean bale...run down the street. and more than anything, the pathos as punchline finale. can't wait to see what the writer of the texas chainsaw massacre remake comes up with next. yawn.

it was photographed very well though.

The Black
06-12-05, 06:44 AM
Anybody else notice

SPOILER!!!!!!!

When the child's mother was running towards them when he had a lapse of epilepsy (I'm Dutch, spare me if I spelled it wrong), if you notice the background you first saw a ride, then the second time you notice the background of when the accident happened (a sort of tower).

Big Dave
06-12-05, 07:53 AM
Was there a secret meaning to the thumb-hand or was it just meant to be weird?

Ketamine
06-12-05, 09:52 AM
i was confused also...why christian bale would put his health on the line for such a terrible film.

B/C he like a lot of people in this forum thought it was a great film. Too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as we did. Your loss.

ArchibaldTuttle
06-12-05, 01:24 PM
Just saw it last night, I liked it, I like watching movies where you piece it together as you go, and I was genuinely surprised at the ending.

Also how can you not like a movie with Michael Ironside in it?

scott shelton
06-12-05, 01:30 PM

It's easier than you think.

Squirrel God
06-12-05, 03:55 PM
What's to be confused about? Pretty straightforward movie :shrug:

Geofferson
06-13-05, 03:32 PM
I watched this Saturday night and liked it quite a bit. Bale's appearance was actually a bit too distracting from the movie though. Sure it was impressive and believable for the character, but in a way, it took away from the movie.

Two questions though: 1) Any significance to the bald guy's thumb being a toe and 2) did the actual accident take place near the tower (hence all the references to it)?

fumanstan
06-13-05, 05:47 PM
In regards to number two, yes. I believe when you see Trevor finally recalling the events you see the child's mom running with the tower in the background while Bale watches, before driving away.

Ketamine
06-13-05, 05:51 PM
Two questions though: 1) Any significance to the bald guy's thumb being a toe?

Not that I know of. They will sometimes rebuild fingers with toes so I am guessing that is where that came from. Maybe some deep meaning there that I missed though.

ArchibaldTuttle
06-13-05, 08:31 PM
It's easier than you think.

Understandable, I take it your not a fan of B-movies.

Venom
06-16-05, 04:02 AM
it was done well. so on some level it liked it. listening to the commentary as i type and he just said how he didn't want it to be thought of as a horror movie, a session 9 was a bit more closer to what i was expecting.

**************spoilers***************

unfortunately, evening ignoring the spoilers before i saw it, the asking about a twist ending and the fight club refrence made me look at the begining of the movie for those type elements. while i didn't have it figured out, new Ivan was imagination/split personality and that ruined the pay off. had i not know, ie, wasn't looking for it, i might of enjoyed this a whole lot more.

still done well and interesting. glad i rented it, would of been a poor blind buy for me though.

Rival11
06-16-05, 11:10 PM
Christ do we have to bring in comparisons to fight club here? Fight club was fucking average and The Machinist is as good as they come.

This movie blew me away and I have never seen anything like this attempted on screen before (please throw away your Lynch shit. Also, I love Lynch). Great direction and great performaces all around.

I will be watching this movie again tomorrow because I'm so surprised by it. Just a messed up take on Guilt

asianxcore
06-17-05, 02:15 AM
blind bought it a couple days ago, recommended to me by some friends of mine. I really liked the movie. Liked the way it was shot, and overall thought Christian Bale's performance was solid. though how skinny he was did distract me at first (Stevie's bathroom scene), I got over it really quick, and was more into figuring out what the hell was going on. definitely a neat little take on guilt as the above poster mentioned.

NatrlBornThrllr
06-23-05, 08:49 PM
I just got around to watching this (picked it up as a blind buy). While I thought it was decent, I don't think it did anything story-wise that hasn't been done before. The acting was good, the direction was sharp...I just feel like the story fell flat:

So the guy sees somebody that nobody else sees? Oh, these actions that we've watched play out on screen for an hour have just been in his mind? Turns out he was just driven mad by some past event? It all just reminded me a bit too much of every other "amazing, mind-bending thriller" of the past decade.

I commend Bale on his performance and his commitment to the role. I commend Brad Anderson on a wonderful directorial effort. Kudos to his cinematographer, too. However, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the screenplay. Rather by-the-numbers, in my opinion...

-JP

buckee1
06-24-05, 10:31 AM
I thought it was really good. It made sense to me throughout and the reveal at the end was definately an A-Ha moment for me.

conscience
06-24-05, 05:04 PM
What was with the fishing picture of Trevor/Ivan and Reynolds (the fat co-worker - I believe that was his name) scene? I got that it was really Trevor, but what was with the phone call he made to Reynolds? Was it real or just his imagination?

If real - why would Reynolds tell him to keep his mouth shut?

I can see how it would be in his imagination, but with the rest of what was going on being "real" (Trevor trying to find out about "Ivan", the post-its, trying to convince his co-workers, etc.) why would the phone call be in his imagination?

Or was it just a whole imaginary thought of Trevor really talking to himself as Reynolds -- not wanting to figure out that it was all about his hit and run?

I guess I just missed something - yet I got the rest of the film.

Great movie.

mndtrp
06-26-05, 02:04 AM
Great movie. I enjoyed it, and the explanation was substantial. It kept me awake after being up for 20-some-odd hours due to work, and that's better than most movies can do.

Goat3001
06-26-05, 03:25 AM
What was with the fishing picture of Trevor/Ivan and Reynolds (the fat co-worker - I believe that was his name) scene? I got that it was really Trevor, but what was with the phone call he made to Reynolds? Was it real or just his imagination?

If real - why would Reynolds tell him to keep his mouth shut?

Although I don't really remember this particular scene a possible explanation could be:

that Reynolds knew about the hit and run and was telling Trevor to keep his mouth shut about that

NatrlBornThrllr
06-26-05, 05:11 AM
I think a better explanation might be:

poor writing.

-JP

DVD Polizei
06-26-05, 10:26 AM
Overall, it was a good movie. However, there were a few inconsistencies. Which is why I thought the movie would take a more supernatural twist--like he couldn't wake up from his own dreams because he was actually dying in a hospital bed.

Grubert
06-27-05, 06:50 AM
I watched it last weekend. I liked, but not nearly as much as Memento.

Another movie it really reminded me of is Jacob's Ladder, which would fit what DVD Polizei thought The Machinist could end up being.

My hat is off to the production department, which turned Barcelona (of all places) into LA.

The Bus
06-27-05, 10:15 AM
***** YE BE READING SPOILERS BELOW *****

Great movie, didn't have issues understanding the plot although Trevor being crazy and guilty of the hit & run seemed like a deus ex machina to explain sloppy writing.

Although honestly, to some extent you had to know things were NOT OK from the beginning. It was obvious he's not well.

It was a nice touch that the blood in the fridge was from the fish, and not some human corpse that would've downgraded the creepiness of the movie.

I thought the movie's atmosphere was excellent, and I was continually frightened throughout. Atmpshere always gets me though.

***** END OF SPOILERS *****

Great blind buy.

ShagMan
06-27-05, 01:13 PM
I think a better explanation might be:

poor writing.

Hahaha, that was good for a chuckle :) This is honestly waht I think I got out of some of the inconsistencies too...

Josh H
07-03-05, 06:53 PM
Rented and watched it today.

Great flick. I wasn't confused at all. They tied up everything wonderfully at the end.

Bale was great. Can't believe he lost that much weight for the role, even more impressive is how quickly he bulked back up for Batman. Can't be good on the body though.

Even worse, in the documentary they mention that in the sewer scenes he was really running through raw human sewage and refused to wear any rubber boats or anything. :yack:

Mondo Kane
01-06-06, 06:19 PM
Finally saw this today and the first thing that came to mind...

*possible spoilers*

The guy's got a problem with losing limbs!
(Total Recall,Starship Troopers,and The Machinist)

Fincher Fan
01-06-06, 08:43 PM
Fight club was fucking average... blah, blah, blah.

What the fuck?!

Rival11
01-07-06, 12:16 AM
What the fuck?!

What can I say......I love the reactions ;)

ChrisKnudsen
01-07-06, 03:44 AM
Fight Club

PopcornTreeCt
01-07-06, 05:23 PM
I agree with Rival11, Fight Club was about as deep as a dog's water bowl while The Machinist was very thought provoking. Too bad the wrong movie received the credit.

NatrlBornThrllr
01-08-06, 05:02 AM
I agree with Rival11, Fight Club was about as deep as a dog's water bowl while The Machinist was very thought provoking. Too bad the wrong movie received the credit.

Yes, fuck the masses for having a collective opinion that runs opposite your own...they're wrong and we'll be damned if you're not right.

-JP

grim_tales
01-08-06, 05:27 AM
I thought the film was tops too but I didn't "get" some of it either. In some ways it reminded me of "Momento" (sp?)

Is the hit and run accident the one where he tries to get knocked down by his own car (?) so he can get insurance

PopcornTreeCt
01-12-06, 02:24 AM
Yes, fuck the masses for having a collective opinion that runs opposite your own...they're wrong and we'll be damned if you're not right.

-JP

Fight Club is basically a cubicle dweller's homoerotic fantasy. I'm sure more people would enjoy The Machinist if they actually saw it. It's not about opinions it's about marketing.

NatrlBornThrllr
01-12-06, 03:14 AM
Fight Club is basically a cubicle dweller's homoerotic fantasy. I'm sure more people would enjoy The Machinist if they actually saw it. It's not about opinions it's about marketing.

Ah, so now not only is it a bad movie that we're all wrong about, but it's also our cubicle-dwelling homoerotic fantasy brought to the big screen. Hooray for personal attacks.

-JP

Dead
01-12-06, 07:50 AM

-JP

NatrlBornThrllr, this is twice today that I'm going to have to say this, but let it go. He didn't attack you, or really even people that liked Fight Club in general, so this type of response really wasn't called for.

Dead
01-12-06, 07:52 AM

Now at this point, PopcornTreeCt, you're the one pushing things. Given that he's just "defended" the film your comment here of "a cubicle dweller's homoerotic fantasy" certainly comes across as being directed at him.

Damed
01-12-06, 08:27 AM
I had expected that Ivan was Trevor's creation, but for the life of me, I could not figure out why, until the end.

I pegged it right away as well, but just chalked it up to "he's going crazy because he hasn't slept in a year"

Seemed very plausible to me,

Damed
01-12-06, 08:37 AM
I think the "WTF IT'S ALL IN HIS HEAD" story has been played out FAR too many times in recent films. Identity, Fight Club, Secret Window, A beautiful mind, etc etc. I go into a film like this now and it's the first thing I think of. It's been done to death.

I think the film would have been more effective for me if they had been able to tread some new ground in that respect.

paradicelost
01-20-06, 02:46 PM
I just watched it and i thought it explained everything in the end. I just don't understand why the license plate # on the truck he drove throughout the whole movie was the same # on the red car, but reversed. Since the fact that it was his car is given to us five minutes after the scene, i was kinda confused by that. Probably just nitpicking on my point though.

Michael Ballack
06-06-06, 09:59 PM
Caught this movie tonight on showtime hd. I thought .....

Christian Bale was in hell or purgatory, until the ending reveals everything

But I guess that would have been a little too obvious.

Dan Rutherford
06-07-06, 02:01 AM
SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

I just caught this movie tonight on showtime. So here's what I think:

Ivan was Trevor (You can tell because Ivan was in the outfit Trevor was wearing whilst he ran over Nicholas)

The Route 666 ride explains everything that happened. Trevor ran over Nicholas, and eventually hung himself in jail (hence the reference to hangman and the hanging man on the ride)

I think that Trevor was in purgatory, that makes the most sense. And at the end he finally gets to sleep.

I still don't get the thumb toe finger thing. Somebody's got some splaining to do. And the Reynold's mess.

visitor Q
06-07-06, 06:28 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!
I think that Trevor was in purgatory, that makes the most sense. And at the end he finally gets to sleep.

I suppose everyone has their interpretation. But IMHO the overall subtext to the film is guilt. ... one with a life's (literally) lesson learned in this case. I took it that the insomnia was a result of this guilt and once he came to terms with it consciously (as I believe the majority of the film was handled in his subconscious), this is when his ability to sleep was returned.

Very interestingly made film .. and an excellent one at that!!

I was fortunate enough to obtain the Scandinavian Full Bit rate DTS release of the film and it's one my most cherished editions.

Daytripper
05-02-09, 09:13 PM
(Bump)

Just saw the film for the first time via Netflix. What a mind fuck! Very effective thriller. And I think the Bernard Herrmann like score (from "Cape Fear") had a lot to do with it.

Buttmunker
07-31-10, 09:40 AM
I'm confused as to why there wasn't an "off" button on the machine that took Michael Ironside's arm off.

It was a great film - just saw it a couple days ago, and am still marveling over the great ending...and Christian's drastic weight loss. He took the saying "An Apple A Day" very literally.

Weird_Ideas
03-13-11, 07:15 PM
I'm struggling to find any information on the internet that pertains to the massive amount of religious symbolism in this movie. Anyone know of a full, in-depth analysis of this movie, so that I can at least verify if my depictions are correct??

Or, since I didn't see any information in this thread that is quite what I'm talking about, perhaps many of you have missed a lot of the symbolism yourselves?

I'll give a spoiler clue of what I'm referring to:

Trevor Reznik --> Reznik --> resurrection (Rez) Nicholas (nik)

whotony
03-13-11, 08:59 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

I just caught this movie tonight on showtime. So here's what I think:

Ivan was Trevor (You can tell because Ivan was in the outfit Trevor was wearing whilst he ran over Nicholas)

The Route 666 ride explains everything that happened. Trevor ran over Nicholas, and eventually hung himself in jail (hence the reference to hangman and the hanging man on the ride)

I still don't get the thumb toe finger thing. Somebody's got some splaining to do. And the Reynold's mess.

Dan Rutherford where have you gone?

Groucho
03-13-11, 09:21 PM
I'm struggling to find any information on the internet that pertains to the massive amount of religious symbolism in this movie. Anyone know of a full, in-depth analysis of this movie, so that I can at least verify if my depictions are correct??Your seeing something that isn't there, but you wouldn't be the first person to over-analyze a movie.

RichC2
03-13-11, 09:41 PM
I've always seen parts of this movie but never the whole thing. So I finally got around to it recently.

It really just isn't a very good movie, it somehow makes something that should be ominous and intriguing and completely drained the life out of it. Great ideas, poorly executed.

I guess I wanted something more akin to a Shinya Tsukamoto movie in execution. (I'm not a fan of Brad Anderson's movies but he's done a solid job with Fringe).

Weird_Ideas
03-14-11, 12:03 PM
Your seeing something that isn't there, but you wouldn't be the first person to over-analyze a movie.

Nah dude, this movie is literally filled to the brim with religious symbolism... I think the first most obvious indicator is the front picture of the DVD case with a translucent cross on the front... that almost even deferred me from buying this movie in the first place because I'm not a huge religious-movie nut. Even the actor who played Trevor Reznik was CHRISTIAN Bale, lol...

But seriously, try to look at the movie from that point of view, and see if you end up agreeing with me.

Here's another spoiler hint:

Trevor had a key chain hanging from the rear view mirror that said "Rt. 66" on it, and when he hit Nicholas, Nicholas was wearing his blue shirt with a humongous number "6" on the front of his shirt... Rt. 66 + #6 --> 666

Another thing, Miller was a huge car guy, but he had to settle on an automatic car with excellent breaking abilities. Perhaps Trevor's "negligence" was in essence a way to prevent Miller from possibly speeding into an innocent soul with stick shift beastly muscle car?

Rival11
03-14-11, 12:16 PM
Nah dude, this movie is literally filled to the brim with religious symbolism... I think the first most obvious indicator is the front picture of the DVD case with a translucent cross on the front... that almost even deferred me from buying this movie in the first place because I'm not a huge religious-movie nut. Even the actor who played Trevor Reznik was CHRISTIAN Bale, lol...

But seriously, try to look at the movie from that point of view, and see if you end up agreeing with me.

Here's another spoiler hint:

Trevor had a key chain hanging from the rear view mirror that said "Rt. 66" on it, and when he hit Nicholas, Nicholas was wearing his blue shirt with a humongous number "6" on the front of his shirt... Rt. 66 + #6 --> 666

Another thing, Miller was a huge car guy, but he had to settle on an automatic car with excellent breaking abilities. Perhaps Trevor's "negligence" was in essence a way to prevent Miller from possibly speeding into an innocent soul with stick shift beastly muscle car?

Check this out then??

http://www.esotericarticles.com/The_Machinist_Plot_Symbolism_Analysis.html

The Machinist Plot Symbolism Analysis

The Machinist is a film released in 2004 focusing on the life and psychological condition of Trevor Reznik (Christian Bale). Herein, the various symbols in The Machinist will be examined. Of course, this article is meant for those that have already seen the movie and subsequently contains spoilers.
The Machinist Plot Symbolism Analysis: Ivan As Shadow Archetype

In Jungian psychoanalytic theory, the shadow archetype is the aspect of the subconscious mind that represents our repressed negativity. While this would seem to suggest that the shadow is something negative, ultimately it can also serve to tell us the truth about situations and ourselves. The Machinist's Ivan (John Sharian) is in essence the shadow archetype of Trevor, serving to get him to see the truth about himself. Ivan professes to have killed the young boy Nicholos (Matthew Romero), when in actually he is trying to get Trevor to see that it was in fact he that killed the boy.
The Machinist Plot Symbolism Analysis: Dostoevsky References

There are many potential references to works of novelist Dostoevsky, some clearer than others. The first of these occurs near the beginning of the film where Trevor is reading a copy of The Idiot, a novel by Dostoevsky. The second of these occurs on the horror train ride where a sign on one of the ride's buildings reads Crime and Punishment, the title of another of Dostoevsky's novels. The third reference is the character name Ivan, which is associated with Ivan Karamazov from Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.

More important than the references to the Dostoevsky novels are the reasons behind such references. When the sociologist Claude Levi-Strauss was developing structuralism as a way of analysing culture and specifically myth, he wrote that all aspects of a myth over time needed to be taken into account. In this way Freud's use of the Oedipus myth ultimately alters the function of the Oedipus myth in society, so the myth changes. As such, the references to Dostoevsky are not included as a subtle nod by the writer but rather as a part of Trevor's experience as he has read the novels. Guilt and those suffering from it is a very common theme in Dostoevsky's novels, particularly in regards to Crime and Punishment, which has strong similarities to the situation Trevor is in. As a result, references that appear in his nightmarish delusions to the novel are in actually his subconscious mind comparing the novel to his life.
The Machinist Plot Symbolism Analysis: Route 666 Horror Ride

As the cause of Trevor's condition is his repressed memory of having been the driver in a hit-and-run accident, the horror ride is a way for his brain to deliver the truth in a fictional manner. The first reference is in that the car of the ride and the car he hit the young boy with are very similar in appearance. Secondly, most of the evil in the ride is associated with car crashes. Of these car crashes, the most obvious is where the young boy pops out and the ride's car crashes into him, mirroring Trevor's hit-and-run.

Solid Snake
03-14-11, 12:21 PM
Yeah...I remember hearing that the film was pretty influenced by that Dostoevsky fella. Not so much the religion thingamabob.

Groucho
03-14-11, 12:44 PM
Agreed with the Dostoevsky references. Those are, of course, pretty obvious even if you are unfamiliar with his work.

As for the name Trevor Resnek, that was a nod to NIN frontman Trent Reznor. (Or, as he's known now, Academy Award® Winning Composer Trent Reznor).

Weird_Ideas
03-14-11, 02:24 PM
I know of the Dostoevsky references, those are pretty easy to see. Especially when there was a good 3-4 pause of a zoom up of Dostoevsky's novel "The Idiot" at the very beginning of the movie.

I'm just sayin' that I think a cross on the front cover of the DVD case should be a dead spiritual giveaway.

But then again, I've failed to find much information that is similar to my interpretation. But I did read a review that mentioned resurrection as a key part of the movie, so I definitely believe that Reznik has more to do with Rezurrected Nicholas than what it says on iMDB.com about Trent Reznor. I mean, I'm sure it's possible that AFTER the storyline was written they decided on Trevor as his first name to go along with the already chosen Reznik in order to pay homage to Trent Reznor. After Trevor hits and kills Nicholas, Trevor speeds off to the mountains and goes through a black tunnel, then at the end of the tunnel there's a flash of light, and then Trevor sort of makes an evil look afterward. The black tunnel symbolizes the dark journey (hell) that Trevor has to go through in order to finally see the "light." I think that's when Trevor's soul goes to heaven, but not physically. The evil look that he makes after the light flashes is Nicholas' evil soul entering Trevor's body, and from that point Trevor begins his never-ending insomnia, in which he cannot sleep (be at peace) until he has fully understood what he has done. "WHO ARE YOU?" This is exactly what Trevor has to find out. Is he good or evil? Ultimately, it's safe to say that he is good. I mean, obviously (without him fulling knowing why) the hit-and-run subconsciously took a major toll on Trevor... Practically starving himself to death, getting ran over by the black VW Bug in the street, and of course, literally not slept. He goes to the airport for the same exact reason why everyone does - to get away (escape). These are his rare moments of pleasure and relaxation, when he has a coffee and talks to Nicholas' mother, Maria. One of the first things she says to Trevor is: "I've got you all figured out Mr. Reznik." Leading to the possibility that she secretly knows that Trevor killed her son, yet she also knows that Trevor is good, but Nicholas is evil. Now, why would the son of sweet and good-hearted Maria be evil? Well, if you look at Maria, she is clearly Spanish. But Nicholas is white (with glasses). The setting of the movie is Los Angeles. What does a Mexican woman in L.A. with a white son look like?? Possibly Maria was smuggled over the border or something, but in order to not get deported she was forced to sleep with sleezy low-life white men to protect her? I'd say that it was low-life Reynolds who fathered Nicholas... Reynolds is literally the only adult male in the movie who wears glasses, by the way. In the locker room at National Machine when Trevor turns down playing poker with the guys, Reynolds says "some people like the company of a woman." Well, Reynolds comes off as an out of shape, self-conscious sort of guy who probably has to pay women for sex, or take advantage of vulnerable illegal immigrants. Also, Reynolds had a run in with "the feds" and had to miss work for a day, which is further proof that he has some intense character flaws.

My fingers are getting tired, lol... but I'll leave it at that for now.. But yeah, that's sort of the gist of my interpreted symbolism.

Solid Snake
03-14-11, 02:52 PM
Wikipedia had this:

The name Trevor Reznik is derived from Trent Reznor, the founder and primary creative force behind the industrial rock band Nine Inch Nails, and the original script had NIN lyrics on the first page.[5] Other NIN tributes include the reversed N on the movie poster and early press articles describing Reznik as experiencing a "downward spiral".

Weird_Ideas
03-14-11, 03:13 PM
If you believe that this movie is all about Trent Reznor then you should probably watch it again when you're not smoking pot or something. Practically every line of dialogue and scene has a meaning to it.

Seriously though, there's a lot more to the movie than just a dude who finally finds out that he committed a lethal crime and then turns himself in to the police to take responsibility for his actions. Did anyone even notice that Ivan always has his shades on when in the presence of flashing lights (when there's lightning from a thunderstorm, when he's arch welding in the machine shop). But he takes his glasses off in the presence of fire and sparks. Nicholas is epileptic, he goes into a seizure at the presence of flashing lights, but he didn't spat an eye on the Route 666 carnival ride when there was a crashed car on fire, or when he looked square into the front end of Trevor's FIREbird when he was hit. So these two characters can see fire, but they have trouble with light. Hmm...

arminius
03-14-11, 05:01 PM
Was he a miller or a lathe man?

Groucho
03-14-11, 05:07 PM
Well, one things for sure, Weird Ideas is one user whose name matches his posts!

Weird_Ideas
03-14-11, 06:26 PM
Well, one things for sure, Weird Ideas is one user whose name matches his posts!

haha ;)

all in all, I just wanted to throw some of my thoughts out there to see if anyone else shared any of them. Like I said, I haven't found a thing on the internet that mirrors remotely anything of how I interpreted the movie, so I was curious if anyone would relate. But like Reznik, maybe it's just all in my head. :)

I think the fish was a symbol of Reznik's decaying body. Fish don't have feelings, and it is quite apparent that Reznik didn't have much either. I mean he got literally demolished by a fast-moving VW Bug and was still able to walk to the police station, even though he was obviously extremely weak and malnourished... that car should have literally snapped his legs in half like toothpicks. And also Mrs. Shrike, Reznik's landlord, at one point complained of the awful smell in the apartment. Sure, the fish could have easily been it, but I'm sure it was a mixture of the fish and Reznik's own body odor that smelled disgusting. I mean, it is a little hard to stay clean when you don't pay your utilities and all.

Eric D.
03-14-11, 09:45 PM
I like the thread title.

Weird_Ideas
03-15-11, 02:10 AM
I like the thread title.

Me too. At first I was sort of confused by the external shell of this entire transfer of communications, which stemmed from an initial question (the first post of this thread) regarding my similar inner conflict to come to grips of this film. But slowly over time I realized that this was the symbolism that many young men in past, present, and future societies have always encountered throughout the dawn of our human existence. Just like the evolution of this thread, many young men have started out dealing with confusion (bi-curious), but over time, they finally turn their confused thoughts into arousal (male on male sexual attraction). This is also very evident in Bale's role of Trevor Reznik. At first he was extremely confused (bisexuality.. he couldn't have been full-on homosexual because he obviously likes pussy from dirty hookers) but at the end of the movie he realizes that he is indeed Trent Reznor, and is very aroused by "nine inch nails." Now, "nine inch nails" can easily be interpreted has a nine inch erect penis that Reznik finds obvious arousal for, but I think there's a good bit of religious symbolism regarding the nails. Perhaps, the nine inch nails that nailed Jesus Christ to the cross?? Well, there were only 3 nails used, but 3 X 3 = 9, and 3 is also a prime number, and "prime" has the same amount of letters as "Jesus" as does "number" have the same amount of letters as "Christ." And the total number of letters for each phrase is 11, which is another prime number.

JumpCutz
03-15-11, 02:29 AM
:eek:

Welcome to the forum.

Rival11
03-15-11, 09:02 AM
Me too. At first I was sort of confused by the external shell of this entire transfer of communications, which stemmed from an initial question (the first post of this thread) regarding my similar inner conflict to come to grips of this film. But slowly over time I realized that this was the symbolism that many young men in past, present, and future societies have always encountered throughout the dawn of our human existence. Just like the evolution of this thread, many young men have started out dealing with confusion (bi-curious), but over time, they finally turn their confused thoughts into arousal (male on male sexual attraction). This is also very evident in Bale's role of Trevor Reznik. At first he was extremely confused (bisexuality.. he couldn't have been full-on homosexual because he obviously likes pussy from dirty hookers) but at the end of the movie he realizes that he is indeed Trent Reznor, and is very aroused by "nine inch nails." Now, "nine inch nails" can easily be interpreted has a nine inch erect penis that Reznik finds obvious arousal for, but I think there's a good bit of religious symbolism regarding the nails. Perhaps, the nine inch nails that nailed Jesus Christ to the cross?? Well, there were only 3 nails used, but 3 X 3 = 9, and 3 is also a prime number, and "prime" has the same amount of letters as "Jesus" as does "number" have the same amount of letters as "Christ." And the total number of letters for each phrase is 11, which is another prime number.

WOW - best angry reply ever....this even trumps some of the worst posts I have done - including the ones from an ex-girlfriend of mine from years ago who would randomly copy and paste shit into threads/replies because I always left the site up and would stay logged on.

Solid Snake
03-15-11, 10:17 AM
He's no chris_sc77.

Rival11
03-15-11, 10:31 AM
He's no chris_sc77.

Of course he's not - his post was way too long.

Supermallet
03-15-11, 01:33 PM
But could he be art returned?

naitram
03-15-11, 02:25 PM

lol this isn't analysis, it's just pulling shit out of your ass -screwy-

arminius
03-15-11, 02:56 PM
lol this isn't analysis, it's just pulling shit out of your ass -screwy-

Ah, so it is Art.

Eric D.
03-15-11, 04:24 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2rer2qe.jpg

Supermallet
03-15-11, 08:07 PM
:lol:

http://www.newcelica.org/photopost/data/500/thread_delivers-yon.jpg

mhg83
04-08-12, 10:49 PM
I just saw this film yesterday and thought it was great!

I can't believe Bale didn't die from losing all that weight and gaining it back so quick. Did he ever come out and say what kind of diet he went on or if he was using Steroids?

antspawn
04-08-12, 11:05 PM
I just saw this film yesterday and thought it was great!

I can't believe Bale didn't die from losing all that weight and gaining it back so quick. Did he ever come out and say what kind of diet he went on or if he was using Steroids?

“Christian Bale starved himself for over four months prior to filming, as his character needed to look drastically thin. Allegedly, his eating consisted of one cup of coffee and an apple (or a can of tuna) each day (approximately 275 calories, or 1.2 kilojoules).[2] According to the DVD commentary, he lost 28 kilograms (62 lb), reducing his body mass to 54 kilograms (120 lb). Bale wanted to go down to 45 kilograms (99 lb) but the filmmakers would not let him due to health concerns. He later regained the mass, plus an additional 18 kilograms (40 lb) through weightlifting and proper eating, in preparation for his role in Batman Begins.”

My Other Self
04-08-12, 11:09 PM
I love that mhg83 replied to a thread titled Who else was extremely aroused during The Machinisit? :lol:

kgrogers1979
04-08-12, 11:59 PM
I love that mhg83 replied to a thread titled Who else was extremely aroused during The Machinisit? :lol:

I didn't realize it was an ancient thread revival, so when I first saw the thread title my first thought was that it was started by mhg83. :lol:

He starved himself like a concentration camp prisoner. 300 calories a day is literally killing yourself. He had to have a very good medical team constantly supervising him, because at that caloric intake you could drop dead at any minute.

Gaining it all back plus 40 pounds more would have been easy in comparison. Its much easier to gain weight than to lose weight afterall. If he ate healthy and avoided junk foods, the bulk of the weight gain would also be muscle. 90% of muscle is built in the kitchen rather than the gym. Steroids wouldn't be needed at all.

Solid Snake
04-09-12, 04:17 PM
I didn't realize it was an ancient thread revival, so when I first saw the thread title my first thought was that it was started by mhg83. :lol:

this, man.

whotony
04-09-12, 04:47 PM
Pretty sure this was a Mod title change. Anyone want to guess what it is supposed to be.