Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who else was extremely aroused during The Machinist?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first movie ever that I was insanely dumbfounded. I barely got anything past, Wow, Christian Bale is damn skinny. Especially the ending and the weird big, fat guy! Huh?
Old 11-27-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...you are not alone...

. . . . . .
Old 11-27-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh. Sigh.

Spoiler:
- Trevor hasn't been sleeping for a year since the hit-and-run, thus his mental health has slowly gone to shit.
- "Ivan" was created by Trevor. "Ivan" is not real. Everything involving "Ivan" somehow resembles Trevor's past prior to the hit-and-run (the leather jacket, the red muscle car, the drinking, seeing prostitutes, etc). All the post-its written on the fridge were created by Trevor himself, in more of an attempt to finally come clean with what occured a year ago. There are numerous scenes throughout the film in which it is made clear that "Ivan" is not real (the co-workers telling Trevor, the bartender giving Trevor a weird look, the rolling of the carpet, etc).
- "Nicholas" was a representation of the boy that Trevor hit with his car. "Nicholas" is not real. When Trevor is in "Marie's" home and sees "Nicholas'" handwriting matching that of the post-its, Trevor is suspicious. But it all makes sense since "Nicholas" is not real and Trevor is doing all of this in his mind.
- "Marie" was a representation of the boy's mother that Trevor saw after the hit-and-run. "Marie" is not real. Whenever Trevor went to the coffee shop, he would imagine the events of "Marie" and himself talking in his head.
- The entire trip to the amusement park/"Marie's" house NEVER happened.
- The people at the factory are real and fear that there is something wrong with Trevor.
- Stevie and Trevor have been friends for a while, thus Stevie's trust in Trevor.

Make a little bit more sense?
Old 11-28-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was a great film and Bale did a wonderful job. It had a very "fightclub-esque" feel to it.
Old 11-28-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a great film and Bale did a wonderful job. It had a very "fightclub-esque" feel to it.
Spoiler:
It reminded me more of Memento than Fight Club. Only connection that it has towards Fight Club is that Trevor (Bale) creates an imaginary "friend" (even if it was a "twisted" representation of himself) whereas The Narrator in Fight Club WAS ACTING as Tyler Durden. Trevor created none of "Ivan's" actions.
Old 11-28-04, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't get me wrong. Saying I was really confused doesn't mean I didn't like it. I thought overall it was a really good movie, especially visually.
Old 06-09-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great movie. One of those films that stays with you for days after it is over. Very dark and disturbing at times, but nothing is as disturbing as seeing Bale with his shirt off. Knowing what this guy looked like before the weight loss and now seeing him is just unbelievable. Not sure why you wouldn't understand this movie; it is all pretty much explained by the end. Highly recommend this movie.
Old 06-11-05, 11:51 AM

Just saw it last night. Awesome movie! Christian Bale was very good in it, and I really liked the look of the movie. I did not find that it was a hard movie to understand in fact I found it to be one of the most easiest movies to understand.

But anyway, highly recommend this movie!
Old 06-11-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I highly recommend it as well. It was shot very well and Christian Bale creeped the hell out of me. I'm usually good with calling the ending before the movies over and I had a few ideas while the movie was going on but I never expected that ending.
Old 06-11-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great performance by Bale, awesome mood, good cinematography, and really cool soundtrack. I especially love how everything tied together so well at the end. This is definitely going to get repeated spins in my player. Best blind buy in a long time.
Old 06-11-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When Bale would be shirtless and showing his spiney back, I almost threw up. He's lucky he didn't get permanently messed up losing that much weight.

Cool movie though.
Old 06-11-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its a shame it had a very limited theatrical run. Seeing the posts here proves that there is a market for "different" films. Really good movie; another reason why I like Bale.
Old 06-11-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
This is a movie that should have gotten more props during its short run at the theater. Goes to show that some good movies are often passed on for some of the bullshit that gets theater time as well as earning tons of money.
Old 06-11-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes. A superb movie. Bale is just fantastic.

I still can't get over his physical transformation.
IMHO more impressive than DeNiro's weight gain for Raging Bull.
Old 06-11-05, 06:17 PM

I had expected that Ivan was Trevor's creation, but for the life of me, I could not figure out why, until the end.

Great movie.

Christian Bale is a great actor.
Brad Anderson is proving to be a great director (Session 9 was also great).
Old 06-11-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Very good movie. Blind bought it today as a fan of Christian Bale and watched it this afternoon. His weight loss was crazy, especially the beginning in that scene with Stevie where he's in the bathroom. Gross stuff.
Old 06-11-05, 10:59 PM

Glad people are starting to talk about this film. Watched it a few days ago and I still find myself thinking about it days later. That is the sign of a good film to me.

BTW: I'm going on his diet starting tomorrow.

Last edited by Ketamine; 06-11-05 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-11-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
I wasn't confused at all. You just have to stay with it until the end but I thought everything wrapped up nicely and all the pieces fell into place.

Very good film. Bale is astonishing to see.
Old 06-12-05, 03:04 AM

Loved the movie,
Spoiler:
did it make anyone else think of that commercial where a teenager hits and runs a person and is seeing them everywhere? The first time I saw that commercial I thought it could make a cool movie and Machinist was just that.
Old 06-12-05, 04:54 AM

i was confused also...why christian bale would put his health on the line for such a terrible film.

the direction was all over the place tonally. the lingering "look at me!" shots of his grotesque body as he literally posed and preened for the camera. the psuedo-intellectual empty references to dostoevsky literally painted on the wall. watching a gimpy gumby...i mean bale...run down the street. and more than anything, the pathos as punchline finale. can't wait to see what the writer of the texas chainsaw massacre remake comes up with next. yawn.

it was photographed very well though.
Old 06-12-05, 06:44 AM

Anybody else notice

SPOILER!!!!!!!

When the child's mother was running towards them when he had a lapse of epilepsy (I'm Dutch, spare me if I spelled it wrong), if you notice the background you first saw a ride, then the second time you notice the background of when the accident happened (a sort of tower).
Old 06-12-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Was there a secret meaning to the thumb-hand or was it just meant to be weird?
Old 06-12-05, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by maxinquaye
i was confused also...why christian bale would put his health on the line for such a terrible film.
B/C he like a lot of people in this forum thought it was a great film. Too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as we did. Your loss.
Old 06-12-05, 01:24 PM

Just saw it last night, I liked it, I like watching movies where you piece it together as you go, and I was genuinely surprised at the ending.

Also how can you not like a movie with Michael Ironside in it?
Old 06-12-05, 01:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by ArchibaldTuttle
Also how can you not like a movie with Michael Ironside in it?

It's easier than you think.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.