Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What DVDs are you asking for Christmas???

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my current list but it is constantly changing:

1. NBA Dynasty Series-Chicago Bulls-The 1990's: If you haven't heard of this and are an NBA fan check into this. It has a lot of those features on the Jordan led Bulls that recap some of those great teams but here's what really makes this a must have, it has like 7 of the greatest NBA Finals games involving the Bulls in their entirety. So you get Jordan's last game, Jordan's "The Flu Game", the "Marv Albert: A SPECTACULAR MOVE BY MICHAEL JORDAN!!!" game all in their entirety and more. I can't wait for this one. They also have these for the Celtics and Lakers which I plan on eventually getting.

2. Seinfeld Seasons 1 and 2: Who isn't getting this for Christmas that doesn't already have it? I think I'll just go with season 1 and 2 for now instead of the gift set and then get season 3 for my birthday.

3. Top Gun Special Collectors Edition: One of the greatest movies of the 80's. I've been looking forward to this thing for almost a year now. Is there a cooler character in any movie than Tom Cruise's "Maverick"?

4. He Got Game: If you can't already tell I am a huge basketball fan and also a huge Denzel fan so I put two and two together and you get this.

5. Blade and Blade 2: I loved these movies and now that there offered together it's the perfect time to get them.

6. Star Wars Trilogy: Some of the greatest movie making ever done finally out on DVD. I can't believe I don't already have this.

7. Rocky Set: My favorite series of movies EVER. The only others that even come close for me are Indiana Jones and Star Wars. I bought the set on VHS about a year before I got a DVD player and have been kicking myself ever since.

8. Batman Animated Series One: I grew up watching this and am thrilled that it's out on DVD. This in my opinion is the greatest animated series ever. Great story lines.
Old 11-26-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Be careful about asking for titles available in separate fullframe versions, such as SW. Unless the people you're asking know exactly what you want and how to identify the right editions, you could end up with the wrong versions. I guess with SW it would be easier to specify "silver box" than "widescreen."

Just to be safe, if I was to ask people for specific titles, I would limit them to titles only available in OAR. Heck, I don't even know if I would ask for titles available in different editions like special editions, as you might end up with the not-so-special editions. Do the people you're asking know to pick up the SE of Top Gun instead of the old one?

Isn't MGM supposed to rerelease the Rocky movies with new anamorphic transfers? I would hold off on those for now.
Old 11-26-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Law & Order: Season 2
Law & Order: Season 14
Old 11-26-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't ask for gifts and usually don't recieve any anyway. Christmas is not about gifts or $....but most of us have lost sight of that. I do however donate some dvds, food and $....which provides all the joy I need.

I would never let anyone buy dvds for me for the simple fact that....I have that part all under control!

ah what the hell....if any of you would like to donate something to me...please send the Space 1999 Mega Collection or the Monty Python Complete Collection. I wont turn them away.
Old 11-26-04, 05:51 PM

Star Wars box set
O.C Season 1
Spider-Man 2
Goodfellas SE
Old 11-26-04, 05:59 PM

Seinfeld's & Three's Company Season 3... and shrek 2! lol
Old 11-26-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I always warn people that I'm tough to get because I like buying my own. The only DVDs that might make a list are ones that I haven't gotten around to picking up that I still want. Plus I have to give different lists to different people otherwise something might get duplicated.

This is why I'm more than happy to accept gift cards
Old 11-26-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My X-Mas List:

DVDS:

-Band of Outsiders: Criterion Collection
-Happy Together
-In The Mood For Love: Criterion
---Lars Von Trier Films:

• Element of a Crime
• Breaking the Waves
• Idiots, The
• Dancer In The Dark
• Dogville

CDS:

Bjork - Debut

----------------------------------------

So far...to be continued.
Old 11-26-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star Trek: Voyager - Season 7
Old 11-26-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I make an Amazon Wish list. DVD-wise I have the Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection on it, Woody Allen Set 2, La Dolce Vita, Battle of Algiers, Juliet of the Spirits, the Harder They Come, the Killers, and Plymptoons. I also have some books and CDs and tools on there. Amazon's not the cheapest, but they're pretty reliable, and I can put a range of stuff, so it works well for me. I had lots more DVDs on the list before the recent DDD sale.
Old 11-26-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive been especially good this year so I want santa to bring me LOTR ROTK EE
Old 11-26-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by G_MONEY#20
Seinfeld Seasons 1 and 2: Who isn't getting this for Christmas that doesn't already have it?
I never really cared for that show, certainly not enough to own it on DVD.

YMMV

I'm hoping to get:

Family Guy: The Freakin' Sweet Collection
De-Lovely
The Simpsons: Season 5
Old 11-26-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
My X-Mas List:

DVDS:

-Band of Outsiders: Criterion Collection
-Happy Together
-In The Mood For Love: Criterion
---Lars Von Trier Films:

• Element of a Crime
• Breaking the Waves
• Idiots, The
• Dancer In The Dark
• Dogville

CDS:

Bjork - Debut

----------------------------------------

So far...to be continued.
Nice list. Except for the Von Trier movies. Funny, my friend is big into Von Trier movies and Bjork. I guess those 2 just go together.
Old 11-26-04, 09:40 PM
Cool New Member

Collateral
Wild At Heart
Maria Full Of Grace
M :Criterion Collection
Badlands
and The Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection
Old 11-26-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to help my mother I purchased seasons 4 and 5 of the Dick Van Dyke show from DDD and they will send a check.

Last year they gave me seasons 1 and 2 of the DVD plus two Criterions-Salesman and Grey Gardens, both docus by the Maylses Brothers.
Old 11-26-04, 09:49 PM
Cool New Member

I forgot:
La Dolce Vita
Carandiru
The Honeymoon Killers: Criterion Collection

ok i'll stop now.
Old 11-26-04, 10:59 PM

Alfred Hitchcock: The Signature Collection
John Cassavetes: Five Films - The Criterion Collection
Fanny & Alexander - The Criterion Collection
Old 11-26-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Nice list. Except for the Von Trier movies. Funny, my friend is big into Von Trier movies and Bjork. I guess those 2 just go together.

Thanks.

I think Von Trier is one of the few 'once in a lifetime' directors.

I once had Dancer in the Dark and Dogville, but needed cash and sold them. Dumb decision. I want them back! And I better get them!

Bjork is fuckin' awesome too, btw.
Old 11-26-04, 11:50 PM

The O.C-Season 1
Married With Children Season 2
In Living Color Season 1
The Day After Tommorow

and thats it
Old 11-27-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by TomOpus
I always warn people that I'm tough to get because I like buying my own. The only DVDs that might make a list are ones that I haven't gotten around to picking up that I still want. Plus I have to give different lists to different people otherwise something might get duplicated.

This is why I'm more than happy to accept gift cards
same here. I'm a pretty good bargain hunter so I can find stuff a lot cheaper than my friends/family can. I mean it's nice to get say Elf as a Christmas gift but ya kinda feel bad when they paid $29.99 for it. That said, ppl know I love DVDs so I inevitably get them anyway. If I don't get a gift receipt, I'll just return them to a random store after Christmas. That said, I return a lot of my DVDs after Christmas cuz I can almost always get more bang for the buck with that store credit.

Also, I think cash is the best gift of all but most ppl don't like giving it cuz they think that it requires very little thought.
Old 11-27-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't let people buy me dvds for Christmas. There is far too much of a chance I will end up buying it before they give it to me. I also don't want them to spend too much for a dvd. The only dvd I have ever gotten as a gift was Fast and the Furious (a movie I had no intention of ever owning).
Old 11-27-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by duganrm
I don't let people buy me dvds for Christmas. There is far too much of a chance I will end up buying it before they give it to me. I also don't want them to spend too much for a dvd. The only dvd I have ever gotten as a gift was Fast and the Furious (a movie I had no intention of ever owning).
aww, c'mon you know you wanted it. Paul Walker & Vin Diesel rule all
Old 11-27-04, 03:52 AM
Banned

Golden Girls Season 1
Lizzie McGuire Season 1
SpongeBob Squarepants Season 2
Old 11-27-04, 05:47 AM
ams

I do not see the point in owning the Seinfeld episodes on DVD when they are broadcast at least 6x a day on cable. The only shows that I would consider on DVD are those that do not run in syndication, or no longer run. By the time Seinfeld is off TV, I will be so sick of that show that I will have no interest in ever watching it again. I am almost to that point now....almost.
Old 11-27-04, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only asked for:

Seinfeld - Volume 1 & 2
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - Volume 1-3

I try not to ask for DVDs that may end up being "difficult" (such as those that come in WS & FS).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.