Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best Vietnam War game for xbox?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Vietnam War game for xbox?

What is the best Vietnam War game for xbox?
Old 11-26-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Men of Valor (Very good)

================================
This 2 games below is worth $10- $20 if you can find a deal.
2. Shellshock Nam'67 (Over average)
3. VietCong: Purple Haze (average)
Old 11-26-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another vote for Men of Valor.

The game is played-out from the viewpoint of a newly enlisted Marine and follows you through as you become a Sargeant towards the final stages of the Vietnam war.
The game is presented and driven by an emotional story that keeps the player involved in the game.

The Marines will often curse-out at the V.C.'s and I noticed a cool thing...the V.C.'s will curse at you too! In English and Vietnamese! I thought that was awesome.

You'll find yourself using different weapons as they become available since the guns at the beginning of the Vietnam war were different than the weapons towards the end. You'll also have the ability to pick-up the weapons of any fallen enemy.

Very nice graphics (uses the Unreal engine), great sound effects, and often intense gun fights round off this game.

Also, the music the Marines in the game are listening to are true to the songs of that time i.e. James Brown, The Mamas & the Papas, etc. plus some actual footage of the war are nice features to help bring you back to that unforgetable time in U.S. history.
Old 11-27-04, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Centurion
Another vote for Men of Valor.

The game is played-out from the viewpoint of a newly enlisted Marine and follows you through as you become a Sargeant towards the final stages of the Vietnam war.
The game is presented and driven by an emotional story that keeps the player involved in the game.

The Marines will often curse-out at the V.C.'s and I noticed a cool thing...the V.C.'s will curse at you too! In English and Vietnamese! I thought that was awesome.

You'll find yourself using different weapons as they become available since the guns at the beginning of the Vietnam war were different than the weapons towards the end. You'll also have the ability to pick-up the weapons of any fallen enemy.

Very nice graphics (uses the Unreal engine), great sound effects, and often intense gun fights round off this game.

Also, the music the Marines in the game are listening to are true to the songs of that time i.e. James Brown, The Mamas & the Papas, etc. plus some actual footage of the war are nice features to help bring you back to that unforgetable time in U.S. history.
Man, if that game is half as cool as you describe, I may have to break down and go buy an Xbox. Is it available for ps2? Nevermind. Just another reason why I need to dump my ps2 for an xbox this Christmas! I am looking at it right now at another website. 16X9 aspic ratio and 480p scan, sweet!

Last edited by aspikes; 11-27-04 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-27-04, 09:35 AM

It's available on the PC too, if your PC can handle it.

System Requirements

Mimimum
DirectX® 9.0c-compliant 64 MB 3D video card with hardware T&L and pixel shader support
Microsoft® Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP operating system
1.3 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon™ processor or equivalent
256 MB RAM
500 MB of uncompressed hard disk space for game files
DirectX® 9.0c (included)
DirectX®-compatible sound card and speakers or headphones
4X CD-ROM drive
Microsoft®-compatible mouse, keyboard
Broadband/LAN, DSL or faster Internet connection for online play
Old 11-27-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
i hate to threadcrap but I just have to ask. whats up with the rise of Vietnam war games on consoles these days, so many.
Old 11-27-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

War games sell big. Video Game companies want in. WWII games have been done to death. Hello Vietnam.
Old 11-28-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by asianxcore
i hate to threadcrap but I just have to ask. whats up with the rise of Vietnam war games on consoles these days, so many.
Because Vietnam was SO DAMN COOL! That's why. Makes me want to go KICK SOME VC ASS. HOO RAH!

Actually, Men of Valor sounds like it's pretty respective. May need to check it out. Too busy with Burnout 3 and Halo 2 right now, though.
Old 11-28-04, 05:53 PM

Ok, men of valor will be mine! Wife and I traded in my ps2 with 8 crappy old games and got 125 in store credit. Pick up a new xbox with starter kit and used component cables (never again will I shell out the money for monster cables) for under $50 walk out! Now, anybody know when the next B2G1F sale at ToysRUs? I know they just had one, is there a pattern to when they have them? Battle Front, Men of Valor and COD Finest Hour are on my list! BTW one of my Wallys had Halo1 for 13.44, still kicking myself for not buying the last one left!
Old 11-29-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Men of Valor!
Old 11-29-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It depends on what time of game you like.

I like the Conflict Series.

I have Conflict Desert Storm, Conflict Desert Storm II, Conflict Vietnam. I also liked Men Of Valor when I played it in an Xbox Demo.

The only war theme games I've disliked are the Medal of Honor games, I don't know why people like it so much. There are a few good levels on it but the rest of the was walking trough the village or in the streets didn't seem like we were in a war anymore.
Old 11-29-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just a little more for those who still want to know more...

The mission objectives are quite variable and interesting.
In one scenario you will have to be the sapper, planting explosives onto key objects.
Another scene has you motoring down a canal in a boat while trying to shoot the V.C.'s on the shore or on other boats next to you!
You'll man the guns of a chopper, crawl through the tight spaces of the V.C.'s underground hideouts, defend a position with only the weapons you have on hand (M-16, grenades, etc.) or use a mounted machine gun, mark targets for an airstrike, and on, and on.

The game is cool, but probably did not get enough publicity due to other games that are out.

I have not tried any of the multiplayer games but just glancing over them it seems to be very squad-based. For example, you've got a sniper, rifelman, sapper, medic, etc. and each is equipped appropriately.

For multiplayer there's deathmatch, team deathmatch, recover the documents, and search and destroy. All available via system link, split-screen, and Xbox Live.

Also, you have the ability to play the single player campaign co-op with some buddies.
Old 11-30-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Centurion
Also, you have the ability to play the single player campaign co-op with some buddies.

I played the first couple missions yesterday and it is really fun.