Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Crouching Tiger and The Patriot (Gibson) Superbit OOP??

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went into Best Buy to upgrade to Superbit since I gave my brother my older releases, and BB had neither of these in stock.

The dude checked the computer and said that they were not being made anymore....then he said that they didn't even release Crouching Tiger in Superbit, I argued, and said yes they did, until he had to go....still didn't believe me......

Anyways, is this true? I checked Amazon's site and they are there clear as day the other day.

Should i wait on these, if the SB's are maybe going OOP does that mean we might get an SE? Just curious if I should wait or just order these off Amazon or check CC.

Thanks for the input
Old 11-26-04, 02:56 PM
Banned

Well, you're first mistake was going to a B&M to look for Superbits.

Your second mistake was asking some dolt who works at said B&M about Superbits.

And a possible third mistake is looking for older titles at B&Ms.

Save yourself some grief and and gas and shop on-line. Do a search for anything you want, and click "Buy now".

Or at the very least, look up the title on DVDAficionado and see if they list it as OOP.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 11-26-04 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-26-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
When he looked it up, he didn't see the title, so I guess that's why he assumed they never made it at all. I might think the same thing myself if I never heard of it, but I certainly wouldn't argue that it was never released. Even if it is OOP, Amazon or any other store still could have copies in stock if they haven't sold all of what they had. Recently Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was available at Amazon even though it went OOP in early 2002.

I guess you could check Circuit City, but their DVD selection is smaller than Best Buy's.

I don't necessarily think we're getting a SE, as the original disc had some special features. I would assume the Superbits would be going OOP simply due to a lack of demand.
Old 11-26-04, 10:42 PM
Banned

Yes, but the question is why even bother to go to B&Ms to look for obscure titles, especially older obscure titles.

For example, in the last days of WS VHS, I used to drive 50 miles to go to a Suncoast video store in a mall because they had a good selection of WS VHS. But since I found on-line shopping, I rarely go to B&M stores. The only reason why I ever go is to get a major new release to catch it at the first week $15.99 discount price. And I don't even do that often.

So my point is, want and older obscure title? Go on-line.
Old 11-26-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't call "Crouching Tiger" or "The Patriot" obscure titles, and they aren't that old. And the Best Buy in my area is good about stocking Superbit titles (with the exception of "Das Boot"). The last time I looked they had about five copies of the "Crouching Tiger" Superbit.
Old 11-26-04, 11:57 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AFAIK none of the superbit has gone OOP yet.
Old 11-27-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, i don't think any Superbits have gone out of print. But that said, Superbits in stores like Best Buy and Circuit City are pretty scattered as far as availability. Crouching Tiger and The Patriot themselves aren't obscure, but Superbits in general are.
Old 11-27-04, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fumanstan
Yeah, i don't think any Superbits have gone out of print. But that said, Superbits in stores like Best Buy and Circuit City are pretty scattered as far as availability. Crouching Tiger and The Patriot themselves aren't obscure, but Superbits in general are.
Well, yeah, that's sort of what I meant. In my area you'd be hard pressed to find any Superbit titles in any store. The nearest Best Buy is 40 miles away in a University town and I've never been to it, so I don't know what they typically carry.