Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How do I break up a large video file?

Fok
11-24-04, 11:14 PM
I've got a large video file that I want into 2 seperate files. Is there free software out there to do this?

Thanks

X
11-24-04, 11:18 PM
HJ-Split

Fok
11-25-04, 01:35 AM
Thanks X. I tried HJ-Split and unfortunately the new files could not play. Got the error message "could not download codec". However the original file plays fine.

68ShelbyGT500KR
11-25-04, 07:50 AM
What file type is your video? (codecs). Download AVI Codec (http://avicodec.duby.info/) to find out.
When you say large video file, what is "large"? Size of the file....

If it is avi, VirtualDub should work. These types could cause sync problems.
If it is mpeg1(VCD), tmpenc should work
If it is mpeg2 (SCVD) tmpenc needs a plug-in
If it is ASF, the??

Find out the codecs/file type involved in your video file. Then we can give you a better idea what to use to do the job.

Does the video also have audio in it? If so, include the type of audio(mp3, etc..) VirtualDub shoudl do that, but there are a few variations of the programs depending of the codecs involved.

I have not used these proggy's for about a year, so this will be a refresher for me.

X
11-25-04, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Fok
Thanks X. I tried HJ-Split and unfortunately the new files could not play. Got the error message "could not download codec". However the original file plays fine. I didn't know you wanted each half to still be able to play, I just thought you need the file broken up to fit on CDs or something. If you just split it you have to copy the two halves of the file together again to be able to use it.

mikehunt
11-25-04, 11:40 AM
tmpegenc will do it for mpeg files