Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : And the nation's most dangerous city is now...

jfoobar
11-23-04, 06:37 PM
Camden, New Jersey.

http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm1501_20041122.htm

New Jersey city of Camden overtakes Detroit as most-dangerous city in U.S

Monday, November 22, 2004

By BRUCE SHIPKOWSKI
ASSOCIATED PRESS

TRENTON, N.J. - Camden has been named the nation's most-dangerous city, snatching the top spot from Detroit, according to a company's annual ranking based on crime statistics.

Officials in Camden, which was ranked third last year, downplayed the dubious designation Sunday, saying many steps have already been taken to reduce crime in the city.

"We must give our people jobs, training and opportunity," said City Councilman Ali Sloan-El, who pointed out that Camden's poverty is an important contributing factor to its high crime rate.

Atlanta, St. Louis and Gary, Ind. rounded out the top five in the most dangerous city rankings, which was to be released Monday by Morgan Quitno Corp. The company publishes "City Crime Rankings," an annual reference book that will be published next month. Detroit fell to second in this year's list.

However, company president Scott Morgan told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in its Sunday edition that he had been unaware that St. Louis police omitted 5,760 crimes from their 2003 crime data. Provided with the correct data, Morgan found that St. Louis would have switched places with Atlanta.

The news wasn't all bleak for New Jersey. The state's Brick Township was rated the second-safest city for the third straight year, behind only Newton, Mass., while the Garden State's Dover Township was ranked tenth. The other communities in the top five were Amherst, N.Y., which had been ranked as the safest city for the past four years, followed by Mission Viejo, Calif., and Clarkstown, N.Y.

The rankings look at the rate for six crime categories: Murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and auto theft. It compares 350 cities with populations of 75,000 or more that reported crime data to the FBI. Final 2003 statistics, released by the FBI in October, were used to determine the rankings.

costanza
11-23-04, 06:43 PM
a friend of mine is about to graduate from the police academy of michigan and got stationed in south detroit. he'll be very happy to hear this.

Canis Firebrand
11-23-04, 06:47 PM
It's only a matter of time before we get that title back.. ;)

mikehunt
11-23-04, 07:09 PM
woohoo, this is where I live

Amherst, N.Y., which had been ranked as the safest city for the past four years,

cultshock
11-23-04, 08:50 PM
woohoo, this is where I live

Hmmm, looks like Amherst has dropped from 1st to 3rd safest city though. Time to move, that place has gone straight to hell. ;)

wildcatlh
11-23-04, 09:01 PM
Ah, Camden. The Philadelphia news stations would have nothing to talk about if not the nightly robberies/murders/etc. that happen in Camden (well, Camden or the Kensington section of Philly)

jfoobar
11-23-04, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by WildcatLH
Ah, Camden. The Philadelphia news stations would have nothing to talk about if not the nightly robberies/murders/etc. that happen in Camden (well, Camden or the Kensington section of Philly)

Well, that might leave them a little more time for their sensationalistic exposes advertised with such lines as, "WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW THE NEXT TIME YOU SHOP FOR GROCERIES. YOUR LIFE MAY DEPEND ON IT", that seem to be so common with local newscasts.

wildcatlh
11-23-04, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by JustinS
Well, that might leave them a little more time for their sensationalistic exposes advertised with such lines as, "WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW THE NEXT TIME YOU SHOP FOR GROCERIES. YOUR LIFE MAY DEPEND ON IT", that seem to be so common with local newscasts.

Yeah, but they already do those. They can't fill up the whole show with 'em. :) (well, actually, they can. Nevermind. Maybe it's good that Camden's right over the river)

DarkElf
11-25-04, 06:39 AM
If this is the same survey the local news was talking about here a few days ago (which I'm guessing it is), San Diego was like the 6th safest. :banana:

Unlike those other safe "communities," San Diego is a _real_ city. ;)

jfoobar
11-25-04, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by DarkElf
If this is the same survey the local news was talking about here a few days ago (which I'm guessing it is), San Diego was like the 6th safest. :banana:

San Diego is 7th safest, but only on the list of cities with populations exceeding 500,000 (of which there are only 32).

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm

Supermallet
11-25-04, 09:28 AM
I'm treating my parents to a Camden vacation!

Phil L.
11-25-04, 09:52 AM
Damn. I was hoping for Newark :(

Hiro11
11-25-04, 01:53 PM
http://www.city-data.com/top27.html

Most dangerous towns (>5000 people) in the US. Take a look, the top towns have roughly 30 times the national average violent crime rate.

jfoobar
11-25-04, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Hiro11

Most dangerous towns (>5000 people) in the US. Take a look, the top towns have roughly 30 times the national average violent crime rate.

They obviously use a scale different than the report I posted. They have current #2 and former #1 Detroit below cities like Atlanta and St. Louis.

Not at all surprised to see East St. Louis so high on the list. That town is a shithole of epic proportions.

Calvin Calhoun
11-25-04, 02:33 PM
Interesting, according to that site most of the cities have a black or hispanic majority or very close.

Originally posted by Hiro11

jfoobar
11-25-04, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Calvin Calhoun
Interesting, according to that site most of the cities have a black or hispanic majority or very close.

African-Americans, on the whole, commit murder/non-negligent homicide at six times the rate of whites and (the overwhelming majority of) hispanics combined. They also commit most other violent crimes at substantially higher rates compared to what the FBI defines as "white."

Ocean City, MD (#5) is an anomaly on the list, btw. Those stats are based on 2002 crime numbers and I suspect that murder is weighed pretty heavily in the overall rating. Ocean City was victimized by a bizarre and very brutal double-homicide of two tourists by another tourist couple in 2002. Those were the only two murders in 2002 and they had none in 2001. OTOH, there were substantial increases in other violent crime stats in OC between 2001 and 2002 as well. It is a weekend beach getaway resort town for people from Baltimore and DC.

PopcornTreeCt
11-25-04, 09:10 PM
Well as long as Camden doesn't get a basketball team we should be ok.

uli2000
11-25-04, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well as long as Camden doesn't get a basketball team we should be ok.

rumor is the 76'ers are going there, and will change their name to the 86'ers.

POWERBOMB
11-26-04, 01:11 AM
I blame it all on Bon Jovi.