Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Streaming MP3's to HT

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Streaming MP3's to HT

Old 11-23-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Streaming MP3's to HT

How do you guys play you MP3's on your HT?

I currently connect my onboard soundcard from my laptop/desktop w/ a stereo jack the "cd" input of my tuner.

I have an iPod and now am addicted to iTunes, I also have a wireless network. I would like to have the functionality of the Apple Airport Express but without the $120 cost.

Specifically I would like to control what is being played via my laptop itself, wirelessly, without another remote and device to touch.

I was looking into the Netgear MP101 which is on sale at Compusa for $50 AR. From the reviews I have read, it will make a library of your music files on the network, and play them, but you still have to use the remote/lcd display on the unit to select/play songs.

Any advice? What do you use?
Old 11-29-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

id be curious to hear this as well. im tired of burning them onto cd-r
Old 11-30-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I do not how to do what you want via your laptop. Everything I know of is another piece of equipment and remote. There are several streaming only units, many that are wireless. BTW the Linksys is suppose to a horrible unit. You can check out www.media-servers.com for some expert advice/opinions. I am looking for a cheap media player since I do not have the cash to build a proper HTPC.
This is one unit I am really interested in, but I will wait until they come out with the 802.11g unit.
Old 11-30-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the advice, I dont really want to use a PC server as I had a PC hooked up the my TV/HT and it was just a hassle to use IMO. Seems like there is no device out there that has the same functionality of Apple AirTunes. I guess I will sit on my hands for awhile and wait to see what else comes on down the line...
Old 11-30-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I burn my whole collection to a 4.7GB DVD-R and slap that into my DVD player to play whatever I want on it. Most of my mp3 collection is pretty static, so I don't don't think I'll need to re-burn a new disc too often.
Old 11-30-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Hauppage MediaMVP. In addition to playing the tunes, it streams video (.mpg and .avi). But, it doesn't sound like it'll meet your requirements as it involves another device and remote.