Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

John Frusciante - 6 albums in 6 months

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's really 6 albums in 7 months, but anyway, just seeing if there's any fans here, and if anyone has picked up anyone of these albums.

I have them all (minus Curtains as it isn't out yet), and just got A Sphere in the Heart of Silence, which I'm listening to right now.

I love them all, but I'm a huge Frusciante fan, he's my favorite musician of all time, so that's not really surprising.

My favorites in order:
1 The Will to Death ; just great, I like it better than SCWP, it's got more emotion, and it's a bit more raw, very easy to get into.
2 Inside of Emptiness ; more rocking, 70s style, pretty raw, very fun.
3 Automatic Writing; experimental, long songs, music to sit down and just escape in, Joe Lally plays bass.
4 A Sphere in the Heart of Silence; highly experimental, very electronic, heavy Radiohead influence, I've only heard it once so can't have a definite opinion yet.
5 The DC EP; pretty light, only 4 songs, but very good songs, it just doesn't hit me like the other albums, still great though.

You can check out his site for more info.

Curtains should be interesting as it's an acoustic album.
Old 11-22-04, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up all of the albums, and I actually find the DC EP to be the strongest of the set—but maybe that's because there are less songs on it. It really seems like this one is the most focused, mainly because the four tracks on it are among the strongest of his entire solo career.

I picked up A Sphere in the Heart of Silence this past weekend, and after a handful of listens, I realize that I don't dig it as much as the other albums...experimental is cool, but I think they had a little "over-synth" on this one.

All-in-all, it is very commendable and admirable for an artist to demonstrate the prolifery that Frusciante has modeled in this flurry of material. I have much respect for artists (and labels...hats off to you, Warner!) that give the "screw you" to the marketing standards of the record industry.

My order:
1. DC EP
2. The Will to Death
3. Automatic Writing
4. Inside of Emptiness
5. A Sphere in the Heart of Silence
Old 11-23-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do these albums (guitar wise) sound anything like the last two Chili Peppers albums or like the Chili Peppers live? I was thinking about buying all six of John Frusciante's latest solo albums. I just wish they were all available as a box set or packaged together for a discounted cost.
Old 11-23-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I hear, they will be packaged in a boxset, but I don't know when, probably early 05

I would say that you can certainly tell there is a link between these albums and RHCP, but they are still pretty different. If you like his guitar playing, you should be satisfied with most of these albums. Ultimately, I would suggest listening to samples and making up your own mind.