Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I just realized "All My Loving" isn't on Beatles' "1"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always worshipped the song, but for some reason never noticed it was missing til I saw a rerun of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" tonight.

I can only take it to mean it didn't make it to #1
Old 11-22-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprisingly, it peaked at #45 in the U.S. and remained on the charts for just 6 weeks.

p.s. Lennon's rhythm guitar on the track rocks hard.
Old 11-22-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You just made me realize that I probably couldn't even guess correctly all the #1 songs they had (I've never looked at the track listing of "1"). So many of those songs just seem #1 in my mind.
Old 11-23-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi
You just made me realize that I probably couldn't even guess correctly all the #1 songs they had (I've never looked at the track listing of "1"). So many of those songs just seem #1 in my mind.
The fact that "The Ballad of John & Yoko" is in there is just weird. Most folks could easily name or even sing a few bars of 100 Beatles songs before that one came in their head.
Old 11-23-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker
The fact that "The Ballad of John & Yoko" is in there is just weird. Most folks could easily name or even sing a few bars of 100 Beatles songs before that one came in their head.
That was a number one song? Really? Christ.
Old 11-23-04, 07:51 AM

I thought I remembered reading shortly after "1" came out that they were going to release a "2" with all the other popular Beatles songs that didn't technically reach #1 on the charts. What ever happened to that?
Old 11-23-04, 08:02 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Gerry P.
p.s. Lennon's rhythm guitar on the track rocks hard.

John Lennon was one of the finest rhythm players ever. He never gets the acclaim that Richards and Townshend did/do, but he was just as good.
Old 11-23-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts
That's where the cd of "#1's" is a little misleading. From what I understand, it consists of songs that hit #1 on the British charts as well.

The Ballad of John & Yoko peaked at #8 on the U.S. charts. The Beatles had 20 #1 hits on the U.S. charts:

I Want to Hold Your Hand
She Loves You
Can't Buy Me Love
Love Me Do
A Hard Day's Night
I Feel Fine
Eight Days A Week
Ticket To Ride
Help!
Yesterday
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Penny Lane
All You Need is Love
Hello Goodbye
Hey Jude
Get Back
Come Together
Let It Be
The Long and Winding Road

And yes it is hard to believe that All My Loving did not even hit the Top 40 over here!
Old 11-23-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking at those U.S. number ones, the only song that mildly surprised me is "Come Together".
Old 11-23-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also not on it is "Please Please Me".

I guess I'll have to go fork over money for that red, double CD with these two, and other good ones, on it that didn't make it high enough over here to be included on "1".

I also heard they would do a "2", or alternatively a collection of songs that hit #1 worldwide.
Old 11-23-04, 12:26 PM

I wasn't aware that All My Loving was ever released as a single.
Old 11-23-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Toad
Also not on it is "Please Please Me".

Please Please Me peaked at #3 on the U.S. Top 40 chart.
Old 11-23-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like that one. All I remember is:

"Standing at the dock at Southampton
Trying to get to Holland or France..."

It's kind of a quirky, funny song.
Old 10-18-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a huge beatles fan, so I'm definitely not looking to plunk down the money to purchase their complete anthology, but I'm trying to decide between

and

+

The first option will cost me less than $15 and the second option will cost about $70 (why are those double CD's so expensive?)

it looks like everything on "1" is on the two double CD's (duh), but the following songs are on the double CD's, but not on "1"
Across the Universe
All My Loving
And I Love Her
Back in the USSR
Day in the Life
Don't Let Me Down
Drive My Car
Fool on the Hill
Girl
Here Comes the Sun
I Am the Walrus
In My Life
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
Magical Mystery Tour
Michelle
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
Nowhere Man
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Octopus's Garden
Old Brown Shoe
Please Please Me
Revolution
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Strawberry Fields Forever
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
With a Little Help from My Friends
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
are all these songs worth another $55 to a "beatles rookie?" is there any news to the rumor of a "Beatles 2" CD?
Old 10-18-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I like that one. All I remember is:

"Standing at the dock at Southampton
Trying to get to Holland or France..."

It's kind of a quirky, funny song.
I've always really liked that song...
Old 10-18-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I'm not a huge beatles fan, so I'm definitely not looking to plunk down the money to purchase their complete anthology, but I'm trying to decide between

and

+

The first option will cost me less than $15 and the second option will cost about $70 (why are those double CD's so expensive?)

it looks like everything on "1" is on the two double CD's (duh), but the following songs are on the double CD's, but not on "1"
are all these songs worth another $55 to a "beatles rookie?" is there any news to the rumor of a "Beatles 2" CD?

I'd just go with "A Hard Day's Night," "Revolver," and another one for now (The White Album or Abbey Road) and then go from there. I don't like the best of comps. since they have more of the commercially successful songs, but the best ones seem to be the in-betweens. Personally, I prefer the early to mid stuff, but it varies from fan to fan. The Anthologies, while have mostly outtakes, are also incredible and would hold their own. Most of their #1s aren't their best stuff (in my opinion).
Old 10-18-05, 02:50 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Decker
For my money, that song kicks ass; I'm glad it was a #1.
Old 10-18-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I'd just go with "A Hard Day's Night," "Revolver," and another one for now (The White Album or Abbey Road) and then go from there. I don't like the best of comps. since they have more of the commercially successful songs, but the best ones seem to be the in-betweens. Personally, I prefer the early to mid stuff, but it varies from fan to fan. The Anthologies, while have mostly outtakes, are also incredible and would hold their own. Most of their #1s aren't their best stuff (in my opinion).
That is exactly the point though. RoyalTea said he isn't a huge Beatles fan so all those non-commercial tracks would not have much appeal. As for RT's question, the "Red"/"Blue" compilations are excellent. I highly recommend them over the "#1's" cd. Even if you don't recognize some of the tracks by title, you will once you hear them. A much better investment for Beatles material than the single disc #1s.
Old 10-18-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That is exactly the point though. RoyalTea said he isn't a huge Beatles fan so all those non-commercial tracks would not have much appeal. As for RT's question, the "Red"/"Blue" compilations are excellent. I highly recommend them over the "#1's" cd. Even if you don't recognize some of the tracks by title, you will once you hear them. A much better investment for Beatles material than the single disc #1s.

But I think the non-commercial tracks are very accessible and there's plenty of variance on each album to sustain even the no-so-huge Beatles fan. There are great songs on the "best of...." ones, but it should be clear that most Beatles' fans favorites are not those songs........at least in my experience.
Old 10-18-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts
Their catalog need a remastering, bad.

And with the tremendous success of #1, I'm suprised they never released a follow up (Like the 2nd To None disc from Elvis).

Look for some sort of a cool remstered collection associated with the Cirque De Solei show that will be opening in Vegas next May.

BTW : Just to be clear, I never said "John & Yoko" was a bad song, just not your typical Beatles single. Unlike almost every other song on that collection (and many that weren't), it gets very little airplay, wasn't on any albums and isn't really well known. It's catchy, but I would have expected something from Sgt Pepper or Magical Mystery Tour to have been a bigger hit from that late period.

Last edited by Decker; 10-18-05 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
But I think the non-commercial tracks are very accessible and there's plenty of variance on each album to sustain even the no-so-huge Beatles fan. There are great songs on the "best of...." ones, but it should be clear that most Beatles' fans favorites are not those songs........at least in my experience.
Old 10-18-05, 08:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

"The first option will cost me less than $15 and the second option will cost about $70 (why are those double CD's so expensive?"

What disappoints even further is that the red compilation could fit both discs on one CD with 15 minutes to spare, but they separate it out and charge you double...
Old 10-19-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You should buy Revolver.
Its worth it for Taxman; Here, There and Everywhere; Got to Get You Into My Life and I'm Only Sleeping.

Those are great songs which quite a bit some radio airplay, but aren't available on any of the comps.

I'd buy the #1's and Revolver for starters, and maybe pick up some more later, but that's just me.
Old 10-19-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would also pick up Rubber Soul. Harrison has often said Rubber Soul and Revolver could be a double album. If you like all those + Beatles 1, buy every CD they have, you will NOT be disappointed.
Old 10-19-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Applejack
You should buy Revolver.
Its worth it for Taxman; Here, There and Everywhere; Got to Get You Into My Life and I'm Only Sleeping.

Those are great songs which quite a bit some radio airplay, but aren't available on any of the comps.

I'd buy the #1's and Revolver for starters, and maybe pick up some more later, but that's just me.

Don't forget "For No One" : one of my favorite songs......(my fav. being "Here, There and Everywhere")

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.