Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pictures Of Dvd Upconverted Hd Images??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

can anyone show pics of a dvd scene that has been upconverted to HD using a dvd player that is capable of upconversion, compared to a 480p picture???? Want to buy one, but want to see if it worth it since I already have a new progressive scan dvd player......thanks,
Old 11-22-04, 12:17 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
The scene hasn't been upconverted to HD. The image contains the same amount of detail as the original DVD but the scaling is being done by the player instead of the TV. Since that can be done in the digital domain before it's sent to the TV it can result in a slightly better picture. You aren't adding any detail that you would get with HD.

I play DVDs on my RPTV through a computer and can toggle between a 480p and a 1080i signal with a keystroke. I notice a very small improvement in sharpness when I use 1080i -- just enough to prefer the 1080i. I don't think a picture of the images could show the difference.
Old 11-22-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i don't think a screen shot will really show the difference since the biggest difference is the reduction in visible scan lines seen on the screen. Unless the screen cap was of a close up in a certain area of before an after the conversion but who sits that close during normal viewing.
Old 11-22-04, 06:46 PM

i saw a screenshot on another forum. it was supposedly from a DVI capture from a computer, with and without scaling. from a distance, they looked pretty similar, but as you zoomed in, you could see the difference. and from afar, you could tell too.

i can see a big difference going from HDMI and component out on my denon. the hdmi out makes a pretty big difference in overall sharpness and clarity.
Old 11-22-04, 09:28 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by cowanrg
i saw a screenshot on another forum.
Got a link? I'd like to see that.
Old 11-23-04, 05:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
avsforum, I believe it was thread comparing analog and digital upconverting.

Here it is:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=95576

Keep in mind they are working with a 50x15 pixel image. The "native" display of which can be seen in the tiny graphic under the paragraph headed "Bjorn Writes"
Old 11-23-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your TV have a DVI/HDMI input?

I doubt you'd see a major improvement if you're just using component.

My DVD player (Samsung HD931) does upconvert, but I wanted it more for the DVI output than the upconvert. I definitely noticed an improvement switching to DVI.
Old 11-23-04, 02:30 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by gcbrowni
avsforum, I believe it was thread comparing analog and digital upconverting.

Here it is:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=95576

Keep in mind they are working with a 50x15 pixel image. The "native" display of which can be seen in the tiny graphic under the paragraph headed "Bjorn Writes"
This is really something different than just upconverting and the really visible difference required going from a fixed-pixel device to a CRT. As someone in that thread said, the differences really can't be distinguished at normal seating distance.

The very blocky images were at low resolutions that were displayed at that digital device's native low resolution.
Old 11-23-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're also mainy discussing 1:1 pixel mapping which is more of a case for digital displays and not CRT analog displays. An upconverting player feeding a digital display through DVI or HDMI can have a much more drastic difference than an upconverting player feeding a CRT HDTV because the pixel mapping isn't the same for CRTs.
Old 12-08-04, 09:27 AM
Bru

gota disagree . I seen a huge difference. mostly comparing to many other dvd players out there. it all depends on what your use to seeing on the equipment you own.

I own Pioneer 563A dvd player & I own a Zenith DVB-318 Upconverting player.

now compared to my Pioneer 563A its not even a contest. the zenith will make the pioneer look like a little tikes dvd player. that much of a difference!!! it also depends on the display your using. crt wont show much difference as where a DLP projector matched with the zenith will give great results being a digital projector.

now up against my panny XP50 the zentih was better but was less of a difference seeing the panny is a good player. still the zenith did beat it in detail!!! not by much but did. considering the zenith was only $160 shipped its a good deal. for those who dont notice a difference ? well they must own very nice equipment and this would not apply.

you might not be adding detail as mentioned but your processing detail better than most other dvd players could. it goes to show you how many terrible dvd player are out there. the panny and the zenith are the best I seen in the price range. as for double triple or more the price ? i wouldnt know as I have better places my money can go than on one item and product out there that can compete at much lower prices.
Old 12-08-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been thinking about buying the Samsung at BB just to see if it makes any difference to go DVI and/or Upconvert on my Sony plasma.
Last thing I need is another DVD player but one that would improve DVD playback would be welcome.
Old 12-08-04, 04:24 PM
Bru

I will add that I own a Sony Wega 36' XBR800 HDTV (tube) & a DLP X1 Infocus Projector. on my X1 projector its a huge difference. maybe cause the picture is so large too. as for results on my Sony Tube ? well there is hardly a difference between the zenith upconverting and even my old Pioneer DV-343 interlaced player letting the sony do progressive. my point is your just not gonna see a difference on a crt display.
Old 12-08-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
You would have to take a photo from your sitting position (say 8-10ft from the center of the television, and aim it at the screen, take a shot of the paused image, then take another shot of an upconverted paused image, and then compare the images. A 4-6MP camera should be good enough, and of course please get your exposures correct.

The comparison on AVS is retarded. Like I watch television 1" from my nose. Well, ok, my grandmother does, but that's different.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-08-04 at 08:09 PM.