Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 wireless question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PS2 wireless question

This is a question for someone else so I don't know all the details off hand. They are trying to connect a new PS2 to a wireless network. They have a cable modem/router/WAP (Linksys I believe) that is up and running and works fine. They have another WAP w/ either a hub/switch or just a single connection (the details on this side are a little fuzzy). According to the activity lights the WAPs seem to be talking to each other and the PS2 seems to be on the network w/ the 2nd WAP, but network wise nothing is happening. Personally I still thought that the only way to get wireless on a console was w/ the proprietary device sold by the applicable manufacturer. Has anyone tried this? Should the setup above work? What are some of the "trouble points" to look for?

TIA
Old 11-22-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think it would work with a WAP at the PS2 end. I think you have to get a wireless ethernet bridge. I used the Linksys WET-11 for a long time with great results.
Old 11-22-04, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope to get more info about the specific devices involved (aka whether or not the wireless equipment he has can work in a bridging mode). I also stumbled across this http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=558&scid=38 which might be an easier solution
Old 11-22-04, 10:50 PM

Even if he could get both of his APs to bridge it'd probably do more harm than good because when the two devices are in bridge mode they don't 'talk' to any other devices, just each other. So he'd basically be putting the rest of his network down. Tell him to just get that linksys piece or one of the other bridges that are around. I bought and borrowed a whole bunch of devices trying to come up with some wireless config that'd work with the PS2. The only thing that worked was the bridge and even then it got sketchy when I turned security on. Of course that was the old B bridge. I eventually just gave up and ran a cat5 into the living room. It just made me nuts that I couldn't secure the link, and that if I wanted to hook up my ReplayTV to the network I would've had to buy another bridge for that too. At $100 a piece they ain't cheap.

Of course the new WDS devices give me hope. It makes me wonder if I could get two WDS routers to talk to each other w/o going to bridge and knocking out the AP of both. But I have yet to see any proof that this would work.
Old 11-23-04, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Assuming that your Replay is close to the PS2, a hub or switch would work, eliminating the need for multiple bridges.

My setup before I built a new house with wired ethernet behind my consoles: Linksys wireless router, WET-11 (wireless ethernet bridge), hub, Xbox and PS2 connected to the hub.

At the console end, you need some kind of wireless bridge such as the one linked above. There are several options now, you don't have to buy anything specific to the PS2. From the bridge, you can plug in a cheap hub and connect multiple devices that you want on your wireless network (consider a switch if you want to use more than one device at the same time).

I had WEP enabled on my 802.11b network and everything worked great for PS2 and Xbox Live.
Old 11-23-04, 12:06 PM

Ah yes. Tried that. Never worked. It would always see the network, but never could keep the DNS settings. Spent several hours of my life I wish I had back troubleshooting that. Also two switches. Oh, the joys of networking.