Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Simpsons Disc Gone Bad?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Simpsons Disc Gone Bad?

Old 11-22-04, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simpsons Disc Gone Bad?

Disc Two in my Simpsons Season One set keep getting spat out by my player. The disc looks fine - clean, no scratches - although it does have a "coffee stain" on it (as do many of my discs which play just fine).

The player doesn't keep trying to read the thing as it did with one of my Anchor Bay discs that went bad (it was one of the ones that went a nasty bronze colour after 18 months).

The weird thing is that if I switch the player's region, then switch it back, power the player off then on, the disc will usually play perfectly!

The other two discs in the set are fine.

I guess getting Fox to replace the disc will be a problem as I'm in the U.K.
Old 11-22-04, 08:52 AM

Sounds more like a player problem if yu ask me. Maybe your laser is worn out..
Old 11-22-04, 09:26 AM

Nope, I have over 700 other discs, no problems - it's just this one. In fact the other two discs in the same set are also fine.
Old 11-22-04, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice: Keep the coffee away from the discs.
Old 11-22-04, 10:57 AM
sdk

Keep the coffe away from you dvd's. And put them back in they cover when you finish with them, that way you wont spill coffe on them. And my simpson disc's still work fine.
Old 11-22-04, 11:48 AM

Re: Simpsons Disc Gone Bad?

Originally posted by Nebiroth
Disc Two in my Simpsons Season One set keep getting spat out by my player. The disc looks fine - clean, no scratches - although it does have a "coffee stain" on it (as do many of my discs which play just fine).

The player doesn't keep trying to read the thing as it did with one of my Anchor Bay discs that went bad (it was one of the ones that went a nasty bronze colour after 18 months).

The weird thing is that if I switch the player's region, then switch it back, power the player off then on, the disc will usually play perfectly!

The other two discs in the set are fine.

I guess getting Fox to replace the disc will be a problem as I'm in the U.K.

It sounds like it is a problem with RCE protection, which prohibits viewing in other regions outside Region 1. I have a region free player as well and have problems once in a while with certain Region 1 discs playing in my player. If I try to play one of those "problematic" discs in one of my normal Region 1 players they play just fine.
Old 11-22-04, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by sdk
Keep the coffe away from you dvd's. And put them back in they cover when you finish with them, that way you wont spill coffe on them. And my simpson disc's still work fine.
I think what he meant by the "coffee stains" is how dvd can go bad due to the bonding of the dvds.

Anyways, my simpsons work fine maybe its just that your player doesnt like your simpsons disc. I know there are certain disc that some players will refuse to play. For example, my vanilla sky does not work on my dvd player in the living room but plays on my PS2.
Old 11-22-04, 03:51 PM

Yeah the "coffee stain effect" refers to the way that some discs have uneven coats of lacquers on the inner layers, so they look like they have coffee stains on them. This usually appears as a darker area on the play side, often circular and centred around the hub. or alternatively, a ring of lighter colour.

It doesn't usually indicate that the disc is going bad - just that the lacquer used to coat the metallic layer was done unevenly.

I have many discs like this - usually older ones - and they play perfectly.

My player also plays all other R1 discs fine, even RCE ones. This is because it isn't region-free, but region switchable. It therefore provides the correct response that RCE discs are looking for.

What's weird is that sometimes the thing will play perfectly, other times the player spits it out - without even a "wrong region" message, or whatever. It seems that playing another R1 disc will usually get the player to accept this one after it. Weird!

Oh yeah, and it does exhibit the known problem that the credits freeze on "Homer's Odyssey" a known bug. Dunno if Fox ever did a repress to fix that.