Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Moments in movies you otherwise like that just feel awkward?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it'd probably be easy to name some of the cheesier B-movies that are horribly acted as "awkward"..

what about movies you otherwise like? Moments that just feel unnatural, detract from the experience, etc?

For me, whenever I watch American History X, which I do enjoy, in the beginning when the police chief is giving the briefing about skinheads and talking about Dr. Sweeney... he says something to the effect of:

"We have someone who is an expert on this -- and here he is."

I think they were trying to go for, Sweeney just walks in and surprises him, but it feels so flat and unnatural.

Also, there's multiple moments in Clerks where I just can't really see O'Halloran as a real guy. the way he delivers the rants of his, with Smiths wordy, wordy ass dialogue, it just feels so fake.

I'm sure there are others, but i cant really think of any.

come, be picky with me
Old 11-21-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This has been dealt with before.....

But...Chris Rock and Robin Williams's cameos in A.I. spoil an otherwise perfectly good sci-fi flick for me. Very awkward.
Old 11-21-04, 12:22 PM

well, what with my being pretty new here, and a couple searches returning no hits... im not sure what you want me to say.

oops?

if a mod feels like the topic has been overdone, so be it. i dont mind it being locked
Old 11-21-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The scene as the end of The Bourne Supremacy
Spoiler:
Where Jason confesses to the daughter that it was he who killed her parents
Old 11-21-04, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Conan the Barbarian: When Valeria comes back from the dead Valkyr-style for a brief moment to help Schwarzenegger near the end and exclaims "Do you want to live forever!". Awesome movie, but damn this moment was the cheesiest shit this side of Velveeta.

Batman: Ok....so the Batwing can reach superfast speeds, manuever and stop incredibly and can easily change course mid-flight, is equipped with all kinds of gadgets, guided missiles and machine guns, radar and high-tech cutting implements, etc. etc. etc..........and the Joker brings it down with ONE FUCKING MEASLY BULLET. Not a rocket or missile at least. A BULLET.

:ahem:........ B - U - L - L - S - H - I - T
Old 11-21-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Batman: Ok....so the Batwing can reach superfast speeds, manuever and stop incredibly and can easily change course mid-flight, is equipped with all kinds of gadgets, guided missiles and machine guns, radar and high-tech cutting implements, etc. etc. etc..........and the Joker brings it down with ONE FUCKING MEASLY BULLET. Not a rocket or missile at least. A BULLET.

:ahem:........ B - U - L - L - S - H - I - T

Actually, that was an explosive bullet, not a regular bullet. The novelization and comic book adaptation of the movie made that obvious.

In terms of awkward moments, said it before, will say it again: the bed scene towards the end of LOTR:ROTK.
Old 11-21-04, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Actually, that was an explosive bullet, not a regular bullet. The novelization and comic book adaptation of the movie made that obvious.

In terms of awkward moments, said it before, will say it again: the bed scene towards the end of LOTR:ROTK.
It's still a bullet and it still looks foolish. Bats also targets the joker and is still simply unable to shoot him, every one of his missiles falling to the right and left while the joker is just standing there like a sack of potatoes. Sorry, I dont know what Burton was trying with this whole scene but it fails miserably.

As for LOTR:ROTK, I've asked you this before and will ask it again: what is so awkward about the bed scene towards the end?
Old 11-21-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Frodo's high-pitched girlish voice?
Old 11-21-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mystic River

Spoiler:
Laura Linney's "Macbeth" speech at the end comes out of nowhere and pretty much has prevented me from ever watching the movie again
Old 11-21-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shaolin Soccer

Two scenes actually. The first one is the one where Sing is kicking the egg around and then throws in in the other brother's mouth, and then fat brother runs over and starts eating it out of his mouth. Then they repeat that about 3 more times. Okay, we get it.

And then there's the other scene where they're getting humilated by the other team during practice. That part was kind of akward, especially when the one guy takes off his pants. In America humilating sports moments usually involve the other person losing their pants.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 11-21-04 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-21-04, 11:19 PM
Banned

RE: Mystic River

I don't understand why so many people have such a problem with that speech. Yes it's abrupt and it kinda comes out of nowhere but it also sheds new light on the character and puts him in a slightly different perspective. In those few lines it shows that Jimmy has a history and is looked up to in that neighborhood, almost like a Tony Soprano-type character. When I watched that scene I did not think to myself, "Um, these two are acting slightly out of character here". I thought, "Woah, I didn't know these characters as much as I thought I did".
Old 11-22-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the scene in Rocky III where Rocky and Appolo practically make out after racing on the beach.
Old 11-22-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pulp Fiction: The Gimp scene (intended but awkward nonetheless)

The Matrix Reloaded: Rave/sex scene.
Old 11-22-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, someone else took Mystic River. I guess we think alike. Sometimes, I think we all got in that car...

Just watched Bright Young Things the other day. Ace film, but Stephen Fry pads out the supporting roles with cameos from recognizable stars, which is distracting. You're not going "ooh, that Bishop's a cad!", you're saying "hey, it's Richard E Grant! Withnail RULES!"

... well, you are if you're familiar with British cinema, anyway.

In Sleepy Hollow, an otherwise perfect film gets into head-scratch mode when the Killer fakes their own death with the body of a servant. Why, when the plan didn't require it, and would get in the way of attaining what the killer wanted in the first place?

I'd shorten the goddamn SIX MINUTES of opening credits for Shadow Of The Vampire! And HAN SHOT FIRST! or something.

Originally posted by gmal2003
The Matrix Reloaded: Rave/sex scene.
I know a lot of people have a problem with this, and it goes on way too long, but I understand why it's there. Back in World War 2 London and other places that were severely bombed regularly, the people would take the chance to have dances and things to keep morale up. - or because it might be the last chance. In Enemy At The Gates, this is also touched upon.
Old 11-22-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by ThickAsABrick
well, what with my being pretty new here, and a couple searches returning no hits... im not sure what you want me to say.

oops?

if a mod feels like the topic has been overdone, so be it. i dont mind it being locked
Welcome. You've been "pwned" by the retard "dvdtalk search".

It happens to all of us and rest assured there are plenty of folks with a hard on for pointing out your post.

And oh BTW, no topic is ever "over done" here.
Old 11-22-04, 10:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by automator
This has been dealt with before.....

yeah wasn't it some thread entitled "WTF Moments in Movies"
Old 11-22-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne

I know a lot of people have a problem with this, and it goes on way too long, but I understand why it's there. Back in World War 2 London and other places that were severely bombed regularly, the people would take the chance to have dances and things to keep morale up. - or because it might be the last chance. In Enemy At The Gates, this is also touched upon.

I always took the Rave scene as "humans being human in an otherwise computer dominated world".
Old 11-22-04, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Giles
yeah wasn't it some thread entitled "WTF Moments in Movies"
here we go:

The 'WTF' movie moments of 2000's thread! (any moment/scene/news that you said huh?)
Old 11-22-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rockmjd23
the scene in Rocky III where Rocky and Appolo practically make out after racing on the beach.

make out
Old 11-22-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The totally annoying cameo of Stephen Tyler in
Spoiler:
The Polar Express
Old 11-22-04, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by tdirgins
Spoiler:
The Polar Express
yup, can't argue with you there.
Old 11-22-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Mine is from Jerry Maguire with Cruise is giving his speech at the end. It all flows well, and is written well, until he adds a line about living in a cynical world. It just seems so out of place in context with the rest of what he is saying.

"We live in a cynical world. A cynical world. And we work in a business of tough competitors. I love you. You... complete me. "

Also, anyone flipping the bird in any movie after the Breakfast Club. The one that comes to mind is Sharon Stone in Sphere.
Old 11-22-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by tdirgins
Spoiler:
The Polar Express

I haven't seen this movie (and I don't intend to either) but I happened to catch a small making-of on HBO the other day that showed about a second of this cameo.

I can see why this may have been a little distracting and worthy of a WTF or two.
Old 11-22-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rivero
RE: Mystic River

I don't understand why so many people have such a problem with that speech. Yes it's abrupt and it kinda comes out of nowhere but it also sheds new light on the character and puts him in a slightly different perspective. In those few lines it shows that Jimmy has a history and is looked up to in that neighborhood, almost like a Tony Soprano-type character. When I watched that scene I did not think to myself, "Um, these two are acting slightly out of character here". I thought, "Woah, I didn't know these characters as much as I thought I did".
Well that's all fine, but you don't mislead your audience for 2 hours and then change up the characters. SPOILERS AHEAD Ok, I'm thinking Sean Penn is a dick anyway for killing Tim Robbins but now I'm supposed to believe that him and his 2 poorly casted brainless goons are respected rulers of this town. Nope not buying it. Also, are we supposed to feel bad for Penn because his daughter died? Nope not anymore, in that time span, Eastwood managed to make us forget about his daughter, feel bad for Tim Robbin's death, and feel bad for his wife. And Kevin Bacon just lets all of this happen. This movie had good acting but a poor story. A typical whodunit, and then we find out who did it, we say "oh that's it".
Old 11-22-04, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Also, are we supposed to feel bad for Penn because his daughter died? Nope not anymore, in that time span, Eastwood managed to make us forget about his daughter, feel bad for Tim Robbin's death, and feel bad for his wife.
Maybe this was Eastwood's intention all along? Bacon doesn't "let it all happen" as you put it. . He doesn't put everything together until the very end and his look to Penn was imo his way of saying that he knows everything and will bring him in eventually.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.