Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers Special Edition???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-19-04, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine mentioned that he heard there was a Transformers: The Movie Special Edition coming out sometime. Has anyone heard about this and if so do you have any more info on it? Really any reply on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

PS. I just bought the Unicron figure. Freakin' Sweet!
Old 11-19-04, 07:20 PM
Banned

I'm not sure, but Amazon's listing shows a "regular" version, but DDD's listing shows a "Special Collections Edition".
Old 11-19-04, 07:58 PM

It was mentioned on a few occassions that Rhino was interested in a 2 disc special edition, but I have not heard anything new on this for at least 6 months or so. The new release was to include the "lost" widescreen version of the film.
Old 11-19-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never picked up the original release of the movie to hold out on for a 'special' edition that was actually special. Hope Rhino comes through with a better disc.
Old 11-20-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^ So they finally got around to cleaning out the garage huh?
Old 11-20-04, 05:40 AM
Banned

I damn well hope so and I hope we get it in wide screen but don't see that happening in the end I own it already god damn I love this movie.

Where did you see this new any link would be nice. I also don't see this SE on DDD.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 11-20-04 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-20-04, 10:27 AM

Here are a couple links:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=82420

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=310576
Old 11-20-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
WAY outdated info.
Old 11-20-04, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Where did you see this new any link would be nice. I also don't see this SE on DDD.
Umm, just do a search for Transformers and find the Movie listing. The pic they have says Special Collector's Edition.
Old 11-20-04, 03:54 PM

The "Special Collector's Edition" is anything but. It's got a couple of throwaway storyboards and a 10-minute interview with the composer.

There is a new edition coming out in R2 next year with a newly uncovered print that has more picture...still no widescreen. The debate still rages in Transformers circles over whether such a thing even exists. It also is supposed to have a lot of features. There's also a current two-disc set in Australia with a number of extra features also.

Rhino is allegedly losing the rights to Transformers content next year, so a lot of people have doubts that their rumored 2-disc set would get released so close to the rights expiring.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-20-04, 09:04 PM

Rhino has already lost the rights.
Old 11-20-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wedge
There's also a current two-disc set in Australia with a number of extra features also.
Not that I could find. Got a link?
Old 11-20-04, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Nierfacon
Rhino has already lost the rights.
So does this mean that Rhino won't be able to release Beast Machines?
Old 11-21-04, 12:30 AM
Banned

The "Special Collector's Edition" is anything but. It's got a couple of throwaway storyboards and a 10-minute interview with the composer.

There is a new edition coming out in R2 next year with a newly uncovered print that has more picture...still no widescreen. The debate still rages in Transformers circles over whether such a thing even exists. It also is supposed to have a lot of features. There's also a current two-disc set in Australia with a number of extra features also.

Rhino is allegedly losing the rights to Transformers content next year, so a lot of people have doubts that their rumored 2-disc set would get released so close to the rights expiring.

Hope that helps.
The movie was done in wide screen for a fact. I saw a trailer for the movie online and the voice over said the first cartoon movie on the big screen to be done in wide screen. It was something along them lines.

Now Rhino did have the wide screen print but they said it was to much to repair my guess is beyond what they were willing to spend to fix it.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 11-21-04 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know which episode of Transformers the "Battle Beasts" make their appearance in. I am a big collector of the old toys and would like to buy the appropriate season set if I knew which episode they premiered in. Thanks.
Old 11-21-04, 10:39 AM

The Battle Beasts appear in an early episode of the japanese series called "Head Masters" (I think the episode is between numbers 5 and 8). It was the first show the japanese did alone. It replaces the last 3 episodes of the series so that the head masters aren't those little people. The battle beasts live on a planet that the Autobots and Predacons (called Decepticons in the US) visit.
Old 11-21-04, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Judremy
The Battle Beasts appear in an early episode of the japanese series called "Head Masters" (I think the episode is between numbers 5 and 8). It was the first show the japanese did alone. It replaces the last 3 episodes of the series so that the head masters aren't those little people. The battle beasts live on a planet that the Autobots and Predacons (called Decepticons in the US) visit.
Did we not get the head master stuff in the US? I remember watching it on Sci-fi a long time ago and that kid in the movie was riding in that pick robot lady's head.
Old 11-21-04, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Fincher Fan
Not that I could find. Got a link?
Can't find any stores carrying it, but here's a review of the Australian edition:

http://www.soundthesirens.com/review...rsthemovie.php

Did we not get the head master stuff in the US? I remember watching it on Sci-fi a long time ago and that kid in the movie was riding in that pick robot lady's head.
That was Season 4 of the US series, also known as Rebirth. Our Season 4 was only 3 episodes. Japan went in a different direction and produced their own 35 episode series called Headmasters. Both dealt with the Headmasters characters, but they were substantially different.

The movie was done in wide screen for a fact. I saw a trailer for the movie online and the voice over said the first cartoon movie on the big screen to be done in wide screen. It was something along them lines.

Now Rhino did have the wide screen print but they said it was to much to repair my guess is beyond what they were willing to spend to fix it.
No widescreen print is known to exist in the world. Rhino has admitted only to searching for one, not to finding one. There is no concrete evidence one way or the other. If it does exist, it is likely cropped from an open matte image and the full-screen editions contain more picture. Some collectors have uncovered a handful of original animation cells and a study of them finds that they are very close to the images already on the DVD.

Last edited by wedge; 11-21-04 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-21-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Australian DVD. It's only one disc. The trailers and toy TV spots are cool to have, but the video and audio presentation on the movie itself is worse than the R1 version in my opinion.
Old 11-21-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Paramount has the rights to Transformers since they have been doing distributing the newer Transformers Energon Series DVDs. Plus they will be releasing the movie theatrically in 2006.
Old 11-21-04, 06:05 PM

No widescreen print is known to exist in the world. Rhino has admitted only to searching for one, not to finding one. There is no concrete evidence one way or the other. If it does exist, it is likely cropped from an open matte image and the full-screen editions contain more picture. Some collectors have uncovered a handful of original animation cells and a study of them finds that they are very close to the images already on the DVD. [/B]
I'm a little puzzled as to how it can be so difficult to confirm the status of this movie. I saw this in the theater back in 1986 when I was young. I don't remember if it was widescreen or not (too young to notice) - but couldn't Rhino or whichever company is producing the DVD just ask the production company if a widescreen print was done?

It was only 18 years ago afterall and I would think some of the folks who originally worked on it are still around. I might be missing some complexities here - but it sounds like we're trying to confirm the authenticity of the Dead Sea Scrolls or something
Old 11-21-04, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna be superbly pissed off if Paramount doesn't release any Beast Machines DVDs.

Or if no one ever finishes releasing the sets of Armada. I know it's definitely not the best Transformers, but I'm still a fan.

Anyone know if any distributor in the United States owns the rights to Headmasters or any other of the Japanese exclusive Transformers shows?
Old 11-22-04, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The first four episodes of the Headmasters are available for download if you know where to go. They are about 230MB a piece. What was said before is true, this series is totally different than the three episodes that were shown here. The Headmasters are actually a race of Transformers that lived on a planet called Master. Instead of humans or whatever inhabitting their head, its actually the transformers brain that changes to a robot. By the way this series is quite violent in comparison to the American version. Also you see alot of Generation 1 transformers in this series such as Hound and Blue Streak that were never seen after the second season. The show's not great but if you're a fan its worth seeing. Transformers: Masterforce is also available for download but its pretty bad.