Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

RIDDICK Directors Cut is Cut!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIDDICK Directors Cut is Cut!

Right as strange as that seems I have just finished watching the Directors cut and suddenly is dawned on me! certain parts I saw in the cinema were not in this version! little bits here and there I do remember seeing in the cinema version just aint in this Directors cut in any way.

and then I started watching the pathetic extras (really a crap dvd! why did they bother) and in among the crap extras is a special effects doc and in there is a sequence cut from the Directors cut, its the one where they have to close the shutters on Crematorium as the Inferno approaches.

So apart from that evidence, what else was cut from the Theatrical version of the film and is missing from the Directors cut?

as I dont like them cutting scenes from films and surley they are going to do another dvd in a year or so as this one is crap! nice picture and sound, but apart from that not much else

I couldnt find any talk of this in any other thread, but sure someone will tell me if its been talked about
Old 11-19-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is nothing in the name "Director's Cut" that implies that it will only entail ADDED footage. I've seen Director's Cuts which were actually shorter than the theatrical version.
Old 11-19-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Numanoid said.

"Director's Cut" means just what it says: It's the director's intended version of the film, not "Every Frame of Film We Shot."
Old 11-19-04, 04:52 PM

Yes I know that, but I didnt know they had cut anything

now I want to find out how much was cut? if thats possable, as I am sure someone will know and will have compared both as thats what come people do

I could always buy the theatrical cut as well or just go for the super Japanese dvd with both cuts and DTS
Old 11-19-04, 05:26 PM
Cool New Member

Thank You for seeing the missing scenes too....I thought I was just imagining things. I can clearly recall a different scene on the ship bound for crematoria where Riddick says something about how he could break free from the restraints but will just go along for the ride to his destination.
Old 11-19-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well for one, the circumstances leading to Riddick laying on the runway are different. Think about it. Duh!
Old 11-19-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't watched my disc yet, but what do people think of the DC compared to the TC, especially with altered/cut/added scenes?
Old 11-19-04, 07:51 PM

outer-edge,
I saw the film in theaters (I thought it was the perfect summer movie, entertaining all the way through) and i just watched the DC last night, and between the 2, I prefer the DC because it really made the story (or to me anyways) more intersting and it added a new little storyline to the movie as well.
Thats my two cents anyways,
Ianscloset
Old 11-19-04, 09:02 PM

My friend and I are trying to figure out if all Furions have night vision or is it just Riddick (who apparently got it somewhere but lied about how it was done)

Does anyone have any info about this?
Old 11-19-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I really don't remember the theatrical well enough for a detailed comparison. But the DC seems to flesh out a little more of the story, and the fight scenes have a little extra 'oomph' to them - Riddick pulls a nice little Gladiator move on a Necro's head.

Last edited by Artman; 11-19-04 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also, just to let some of you know, there are some scene's that are cut from the daredevil dc as well (in particualar the sex scene)
Old 11-19-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
There is nothing in the name "Director's Cut" that implies that it will only entail ADDED footage. I've seen Director's Cuts which were actually shorter than the theatrical version.
See: Blood Simple: Director's Cut - several minutes shorter than theatrical
Old 11-19-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
cross,

My sister is Furion, and I'll ask her when I see her for the holidays.
Old 11-19-04, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by automator
See: Blood Simple: Director's Cut - several minutes shorter than theatrical
Alien DC is shorter too.
Old 11-20-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Alien 3? Aliens? Alien Resurrection?
Old 11-20-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lots of little things were cut. Vin's line in the beginning (stupid line as he tosses some guy out of that ship).

The last shot of the movie from the theatrical cut is gone, replaced by just Vin on the throne saying "you keep what you kill". I'm sure there's lots of little omissions throughout.

As said, DC don't mean everything there. Blade Runner deleted the entire voiceover. Alien DC is shorter than the original. So on.
Old 11-20-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean they don't sweep the floor for any cut footage and tape it on to the regular film to make it longer for the sake of being longer?
Old 11-20-04, 03:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Artman
I really don't remember the theatrical well enough for a detailed comparison. But the DC seems to flesh out a little more of the story, and the fight scenes have a little extra 'oomph' to them - Riddick pulls a nice little Gladiator move on a Necro's head.
I think I simultaniously had a kid and an orgasm when Riddick pulled that move!

Man that was sweet, worthy of someone posting a screenshot of it! Anyone? Please!
Old 11-20-04, 07:36 AM

You lot have me now and I may also get the theatrical cut as I miss some of the scenes, and I wonder if that means the listed amount of footage put back in the film is wrong as they cut some to make way for it?

also the way the new footage was insterted at times was distracting, I am not sure I have seen a film jump before footage was added into a film before, at least they tacked on that beginning intro to explain it or I would have thought my dvd was buggered.
Old 11-20-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I think I simultaniously had a kid and an orgasm when Riddick pulled that move!

Man that was sweet, worthy of someone posting a screenshot of it! Anyone? Please!
At what point in the film does this occur?
Old 11-20-04, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by cross
My friend and I are trying to figure out if all Furions have night vision or is it just Riddick (who apparently got it somewhere but lied about how it was done)

If you've played the xbox game Escape for Butcher Bay it is shown Riddick wasn't lying about the crazy witch doctor shining his eyes. Kyra just had bad luck.
Old 11-20-04, 11:38 AM

EYE-SHINE

Originally posted by cross

Ok In Pitch Black Riddick explaines how when he was sent to a slam were you can't see daylight you dig up a doctor and pay him 30 menthol cools to get your eyes shined ... Also if you Play Esacpe from Butcher Bay there is a point in the game where this happens .. So No I don't think all Furions have night vision Just Riddick And Think about it if they all did have eyeshine then why arnt the furion girl from the DC's eyes shined or the purifyers eyes ...
Is anyone else pissed off that Kyra gets killed ... Oh well I guess if they make Riddick 3 he can goto the underverse and get her back or shite
Old 11-20-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: EYE-SHINE

Originally posted by VicVegaMRBLOND
Is anyone else pissed off that Kyra gets killed ... Oh well I guess if they make Riddick 3 he can goto the underverse and get her back or shite
All of Riddick's girlfriends get killed. Did you not see Pitch Black?
Old 11-20-04, 02:00 PM

He wasnt boinking them, its mainly all the ladies who cross his path die, he is probibly a Virgin anyway unless he was Lucky in prisons. Does he seem the ladies type to you
Old 11-20-04, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Romerojpg
also the way the new footage was insterted at times was distracting, I am not sure I have seen a film jump before footage was added into a film before, at least they tacked on that beginning intro to explain it or I would have thought my dvd was buggered.
I'd like to know more about this. I've heard it alluded to, but I don't understand exactly what the problem is. I also fail to understand why this would be the case anyway--hell, when the Alien movies discs use seamless branching to do just that, and to present two different cuts of the movies on one disc. Add to that the fact that CoR is a very new movie, so all the footage should be in pristine shape, and I simply don't understand why there would be any sort of a side effect to the addition of the extra scenes for CoR. To do so intentionally makes me go

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.