ER -- "White Guy, Dark Hair" 11.18.2004

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"White Guy, Dark Hair"

Sam and Kovac treat a woman who was brutally beaten and raped, Lewis schedules a surprise JCAHO (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations) emergency drill, and Carter and Abby tend to a girl complaining of kidney problems.
I'm surprised there's no ER thread. Unless there IS and I just couldn't find it -- or search for it... Did B.A. fall asleep??

After spending close to SIX hours in a real emergency room, I didn't get to see the entire episode. However, my ReplayTV recorded it, so i'll check out the ending later today.

From what I did see, I kept wondering....why did they keep pushing the rape victim to TALK? Couldn't they write down the specifics and have her pick?

"Red, Black, Brown, White, Grey Hair? White, Black, Hispanic, Asian? Pick One."

Why was it so necessary for her to whisper and possibly put her life in danger? Maybe these questions will be answered in the final 20 mins...
Old 11-19-04, 07:46 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Nope, those questions were not answered. It was a stupid plot device to allow the victim to die bravely and nobly.
Old 11-19-04, 08:29 AM

She couldn't write because both her hands and wrists were fractured. Regardless, it was pretty obvious what would happen.
Old 11-19-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
11/18/04 recap

Susan's ER gets inundated with a crew of fake patients (imagine Brownies/Girl Scouts on plenty of sugar) in order to get a handle on the ER's response to such a situation. Unfortunately, Susan's crew was overwhelmed by the numbers (and a very annoyingly helpful girl who proved to be the last straw), and Susan booted them all out. Good moment of Susan finally taking charge.

A Korean girl shows up and delivers a baby that she won't acknowledge, she doesn't even acknowledge delivery of the baby. The more Abby and Carter dig into the girl's background (the mother leaves hastily after finding out her daughter delivered a child), it gets really creepy as it appears that the girl's developmentally challenged older brother might be the father of the baby, but luckily the incest angle was squashed as the girl's boyfriend was revealed to be the true father, and the brother's naivete in handling the situation led the doctors to the true parentage of the baby. Carter had a hard time figuring out why the girl would disavow her child, a miracle in his eyes given his and Kem's tragic loss earlier in the Spring. Carter butts heads with the Madchen Amick character, but Abby gives her the 411 on Carter's situation, and Carter apologizes for overstepping his bounds.

Deb's father's health/dementia continues to put a strain on Deb. It's suggested that she place him in a nursing home, but Deb is resistant to that option at the moment.

Sam plays doctor surreptiously and the consequences and payoff aren't good. Luka has to cover for Sam's risk-taking in trying to glean some more info on a serial rapist from the victim in the ER. All that Sam got for her efforts from the rape victim was "White guy, dark hair."
Old 11-19-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
She could and was nodding her head, why not keep this form of Q&A up? I did not care for this episode, and when us laymen start questioning er, it does not bode well for the writers.
Old 11-19-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
and of course a nurse that should be fired and lose her license will not
Old 11-19-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I thought it was an okay ep, but everything was so damn obvious it was annoying at times.
Old 11-19-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot I even watched the show last night until I saw this thread.

Does that say more about my memory or the quality of the episode?
Old 11-19-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, ER is getting more and more 'meh' with each passing episode. I still watch, but I no longer care.
Old 11-19-04, 01:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Susan going off on the people there for the drill was funny.

The rest of the episode was just meh
Old 11-19-04, 08:35 PM
Cool New Member

After the brilliance of last weeks episode this one was a dud. Like someone said everything was so obvious.

Carter treats a woman who doesn't want her baby. Yeah, we know. Carter just lost a baby.
And what's with his treatment of Abby. He sure can be an ass to her sometime. Did the writers forget that they use to be friends and wanted to spend the rest of their lives with each other. Though I think there's more to his shutting her out which I guess will play out later in the season.
Old 11-19-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too thought the episode was weak. I an quickly losing interest in this show. When does the show contract expire? In 2008?