Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Gwen Stephani Love, Angel, Music, Baby

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Gwen Stephani Love, Angel, Music, Baby

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gwen Stephani Love, Angel, Music, Baby on The Leak

Ok, I loaded up MTV.com to listen to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb again and saw that Gwen's solo album is now available, so I am giving it a listen. I'm on the 8th song, and it is all the same, hip-hop, r&b, dance stuff like the first single. I really wish Gwen would have stayed with the punk/alternative genre instead of straying into a region of music that I just can't get into. This is definately one album I won't be buying. I'll just throw in my Live in the Tragic Kingdom VHS tape and relive old memories. Bye Gwen.
Old 11-19-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It's leaked on more than MTV.com...

I'm only on track four "Cool", but i've liked what i've heard so far..
Old 11-19-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll give it a free listen at one of Tower Record's music stations. If it's in the same white girl hip hop bullshit style that most of Rock Steady's songs were in....I'm not interested.
Old 11-19-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Gwen Stephani Love, Angel, Music, Baby on The Leak

Originally posted by C-Mart
I really wish Gwen would have stayed with the punk/alternative genre instead of straying into a region of music that I just can't get into.
But this is why she went solo with this release and didn't just release another No Doubt album. She wanted to explore a different style of music, 80's dance music that she loved and grew up on.
Old 11-19-04, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: Gwen Stephani Love, Angel, Music, Baby on The Leak

Originally posted by darqleo
But this is why she went solo with this release and didn't just release another No Doubt album. She wanted to explore a different style of music, 80's dance music that she loved and grew up on.

Exactly right. She'll get back to doing regular No Doubt stuff with the band after this album dies down.

I've only heard part of one of the songs off this album but I'm looking forward to it immensely. Gwen is one of the best performer/entertainers out there right now IMHO.
Old 11-19-04, 06:05 PM

I agree with the above poster. "What You Waiting For" is wild.
Old 11-19-04, 09:31 PM
Cool New Member

I personally really like it, I just burned a copy a few hours ago, haha. My favorites are Bubble Pop Electric, Long Way To Go and Crash. ^_^
Old 11-20-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a great pop/dance record. Sounds like an updated old-school Madonna. Good stuff
Old 11-28-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
what's her obsession with Harajuku Girls. there's the song titled that and they're mentioned in 2 or 3 other songs
and WTF is a harajuku girl?
Old 11-28-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
& the are your friends...
WHO ARE THE HARAJUKU GIRLS?

November 21, 2004 -- In case you haven't noticed, Gwen Stefani's got herself a new entourage: four Harajuku girls who follow her everywhere.
The four - who may or may not be named Love, Angel, Music and Baby - save her from drowning in the video for "What U Waiting 4," the first single from her solo debut album. They trail behind her and vamp for the camera at public appearances. In interviews, they sit, all in a row, behind Stefani, frequently tilting their heads, alternating facial expressions and shifting in their seats - always in sync.

Harajuku is an entertainment and shopping district in Tokyo famed for its colorful, over-the-top teenagers who dress up to see and be seen. A hotbed of creative self-expression, the area has spawned looks and performers that have changed the face of fashion all over Japan.

Trust Stefani to import the Harajuku sense of style to the States. She's even dedicated a track - "Harajuku Girls" - on her album to the new posse. The refrain includes the lyrics, "You've got the wicked style, I like the way that you are, I am your biggest fan."

"That became my muse for the entire album ... thinking about these Harajuku girls," Stefani told MTV's "The Leak."

Stefani adds to the oddness. On a recent appearance on MTV's "Total Request Live," Carson Daly asked Stefani about the girls. Stefani quizzically replied, "You can see them?" and claimed they are a figment of her imagination.
Old 11-28-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my share of pop music. Let it be electronic pop or power pop. It also happens to be that I like Gwen Stefani.

But this had to be the worst album I've heard all year. Completely lackluster. We need a new No Doubt album STAT to make up for this.
Old 11-28-04, 01:38 PM

What the are you waiting for? have a baby already and quit writing songs about it. Maybe the guy from bush should stop styling his hair to get busy with his wife.

I do like the album, good change of pace, and I love gwen's voice.
Old 11-28-04, 02:37 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
L.A.M.B. is all about Gwen's Clothing label and nothing else, I see her getting out of music soon, and into designing full time..
Old 11-28-04, 09:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
But this had to be the worst album I've heard all year. Completely lackluster.
Let's not say things we can't take back, OK?

Listen to the new Duran Duran album before you start making claims like this.
Old 11-28-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Listen to the new Duran Duran album before you start making claims like this.
Duran Duran has nothing really going for them whereas Gwen Stefani should know better.
Old 11-29-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dunno. I really like some songs on this album. On the other hand there are a few tracks that drive me to attacking the next track button with great irritation.

It also wavers from innovative genre twists (Bubble Pop Electric, What You Waiting For, Hollaback Girl, Long Way to Go) - not necessarily all successful - to tired retreads that may offer a catchy hook or lyric but offer nothing beyond what you might hear on a Britney CD.

I like and loathe tracks from both spectrums but it all seems very uneven. I completely skip the middle three or four tracks altogether.

My favorites include What You Waiting For?, Long Way to Go (even though many seem to dislike it), Cool, Danger Zone... and even the Madonna "Holiday" homage - Real Thing.

I like it. Definitely wouldn't call it the worst, but I'd like some more No Doubt please... preferably more like Return to Saturn-era rather than more "Hey Baby" stuff.
Old 11-29-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a great pop/dance record. Sounds like an updated old-school Madonna. Good stuff
Exactly what I was going to say. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the record. Some songs may be a little too poppy for me, but they are made listenable, if for nothing else than by virtue that Stefani has more charisma in her pinky finger than Brittney has in her whole cosmetically enhanced body.
Old 12-01-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like Stefani. I really don't care for this album. I love What Are You Waiting For, but I listened to the album, and didn't like any of the songs except probably Cool, and maybe another one.

Of course, I didn't really like Rocksteady either when it first came out, and now there are a few songs on there I really really grew to like.