Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jolene Blalock of Enterprise speaks out...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE actress Jolene Blalock has strong words about her character and the hierarchy of her show in the new issue of the UK's SFX Magazine. Blalock says she was extremely unhappy with much of her character's direction in season three.

"You can't substitute tits and ass for good storytelling," she says bluntly. "You can have both, but you can't substitute one for the other, because the audience is not stupid. You can't just throw in frivolous, uncharacteristic... well, bull and think it's gonna help the ratings!"

The magazine characterizes her feelings about a potential future for show as decidedly cold and asked her why a change like elevating Manny Coto to head of the writing staff wasn't done earlier. Blalock is not kind.

"You have this head guy who's some kind of ancient old croaker with no concept of the real world outside, with his fine wine and his, er, crumpets. And what are ya gonna tell them? 'Give it up'? 'Go home, be with your wife, go play golf'? No - then ya got no job! A powerful job is your identity. Give that up, and who are you? What the hell are you gonna do with all that time? You can't tell people what to do anymore!"

http://www.futurenet.com/sfx/news/de...=1214&ord=5807

Last edited by riley_dude; 11-18-04 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
That's exactly what I've been thinking.
Old 11-18-04, 08:16 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Wow, she's got guts. And huge....brains.
Old 11-18-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
Wow, she's got guts. And huge....brains.
huge brains....
Old 11-18-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not seen her...brains. Are they 7 of 9 esque?

She's really saying what we "Trek fanboys" have been saying since forever. While Jerri Ryan was definately attractive to look at she was strictly fulfilling the T&A quotient on Voyager and nothing more. As the general consensus regarding the fans of Trek has us all in our parents basements masturbating to old "Communicator" issues, I wonder how this will all pan out?

More than likely, they continue in the current vein push up bras and all.
Old 11-18-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
kind of funny that this would come out now, since the direction of the show has taken such a positive turn this season.
Old 11-18-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sorry Jolene, but take a look at you. Then look at your character, then look at 7 of 9. COMEON. You had to have been stupid to not realize what you were there for and the fact that's the only reason.
Old 11-18-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
same thing she is on SG1
Old 11-19-04, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be curious to hear her comments on those Maxim covers of hers if she feels this way about N'Pol.
Old 11-19-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Ya'll are some tough fuckers. So she's not allowed to show off her body and want her character to have more substance? They're showing the T&A for YOU and YOU don't even back up the person put there for you masturbatory pleasure when she's cool with being sexy but wants more for her character.

Fanboys, et tu?

May your mothers throw out your comic collections and your siblings put a pepper in you jack off lotion.
Old 11-19-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, they're not showing the T&A for me. They're showing it for immature teenagers who couldn't give a shit about good storytelling and character development.

As for her comments, give her some credit. She's not saying you can't have T&A. She's saying it shouldn't substitute for good storytelling. Whether she was hired for her huge ... brains ... or not wouldn't be an issue if the show (and her character) didn't suck.

das
Old 11-19-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Ya'll are some tough fuckers. So she's not allowed to show off her body and want her character to have more substance? They're showing the T&A for YOU and YOU don't even back up the person put there for you masturbatory pleasure when she's cool with being sexy but wants more for her character.

Fanboys, et tu?

May your mothers throw out your comic collections and your siblings put a pepper in you jack off lotion.
Well if I want to see tits and ass an episode of Star Trek wouldn't really be my first choice. I don't care how good looking she is. If the story sucks, I'm not watching it.
Old 11-19-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Nice brains.
Old 11-19-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only watched about three episodes of this show. Just not my cup of kool-aid, but a big kudos to her for speaking out. I'm all for that.
Old 11-19-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Jolene is more logical than N'Pol!
Old 11-19-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

YOU don't even back up the person put there for you masturbatory pleasure when she's cool with being sexy but wants more for her character
I agree. She has said what many fans have been saying for the last three years. Great, to show off your body occasionally but Not instead of an interesting character which B&B are really good at doing.
I dont know where they got the idea that ratings would go up if they put their female lead in a catsuit.
Old 11-19-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
Well if I want to see tits and ass an episode of Star Trek wouldn't really be my first choice. I don't care how good looking she is. If the story sucks, I'm not watching it.

I think the article implies that she would agree with you.
Old 11-19-04, 01:02 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jpcamb
huge brains....
Yep all 2 of them