Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

help me make a st. maarten mix tape

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to st. maarten in 3 weeks and i want to be one with the island...any suggestions appreciated.
Old 11-18-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I went there for a week in March to visit a friend who was in medical school down there at the time. Had fun. Will you be on the French or Dutch side?

What type of music are you looking for?
Old 11-18-04, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'll be on the dutch side. i went there a few years ago with family, and now i'm taking my wife. should be a blast!

i'm just thinking of island music, reggae, marley, even early police....

anything along those lines.
Old 11-19-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dglaser6
i'll be on the dutch side. i went there a few years ago with family, and now i'm taking my wife. should be a blast!

i'm just thinking of island music, reggae, marley, even early police....

anything along those lines.
Those sound about right but I cannot tell you specifics about island music but Marley and, though I would never have thought of it, early Police sounds pretty good too. I just went to the live bands at the beach bars - Dutch side is so much cheaper - or used to be. There was always somebody playing live reggae, or the like. I leave tomorrow for the Carib. can't wait. Have a blast anyway.

Didn't Richards do some work with Ziggy Marley? I know he used to go to Jamaica a lot. Could be interesting.

Last edited by Flashback; 11-19-04 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-19-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd recommend Jack Johnson's stuff. It's got a very laid back feel to it. I like his first album (Brushfire Fairytales) better than his most recent one (On and On), but give them both a listen. Same with Donavon Frankenreiter's self-titled album, which Johnson produced.

Do you like Jimmy Buffett?

There's also Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come soundtrack. The deluxe edition is definitely worth it, as the second disc is packed with classic reggae.

Here's a thread I started a while back when I was looking for some good dancehall reggae songs: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ncehall+reggae

There's this gyro truck there that my friend took me to late one night, but for the life of me, I can't remember where it was. It was great, though.

Since you're taking your wife, you probably won't be frequenting any titty bars. There's this great one that we went to chock full of gorgeous eastern European women.

I miss the guavaberry coladas - they really grew on me. I did bring back some guavaberry & papaya BBQ sauce (excellent) and a bottle of guavaberry rum mash-up (smoooooth) with me.

Last edited by DJLinus; 11-19-04 at 09:14 AM.