DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Queen: On Fire - Live at the Bowl

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queen: On Fire - Live at the Bowl

Hey all,

Just picked this up last night, and I must say it's great! Although at first I was worried because the main menu (the one with the crowd) as well as the opening sequence of the band getting ready has a grainy, washed out filter applied to it -- i figured (and was hoping) that it was just the intro -- and it was. As soon as the concert started the picture was great. DTS is always a nice bonus. What do you guys think about it?

M
Old 11-17-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Killer iv also got my copy....i saw the grainy intro and was not to pleased

i just got my CRT projector tuned up last night so ill be watching it tonight.
Old 11-18-04, 02:18 AM

I just purchased a copy today and was surprised that there were lots of red lines (like some red garbage was on one of the main camera lenses). It really makes it unwatchable actually. Did anyone notice these, or did I somehow get a bad copy? I especially notice on 'Another One Bites The Dust'
Old 11-18-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

Those lines are simply streaks where the lense/film was over exposed from the bright stage light. Same thing happens if you look at the sun and move away and close your eyes. Many, Many, older concerts have this -- it's expected, doesn't bother me in the least bit....actually I think it kinda adds to the atmosphere...

M
Old 11-18-04, 07:18 AM

You have to remember this concert was NOT lit for TV like other Queen concerts. It was all last minute stuff, hence the lens streaks, and over bright lights on the drum stage.

The 'grainy intro' is for effect only, but I admot it almost threw me at first. Probably not a goog idea.

All in all an excellent DVD with a superb DTS mix (considering it was originally recorded in mono)....
But NO centre channel again! Oh well such is Brian May & Justin Shirely-Smith's choice.
Old 11-18-04, 08:42 AM

"""""You have to remember this concert was NOT lit for TV like other Queen concerts."""""

i thought this concert was Actually made for TV???

i remember watching this on MTV(LIVE?)back in the day.
Old 11-18-04, 12:36 PM

No it does not look like streaks from bright light. I've gotten 2 copies now and they definitely look like someone literally painted distinct red markers on the camera lenses. I've never seen anything like this, and I'm wondering if the store here got a lot of bad copies. Go watch 'Another One Bites The Dust' on the video. Is everyone else seeing a lot of red scribbled lines all over the screen when the camera is focused on the right of the stage??
Old 11-18-04, 08:08 PM

they definitely look like someone literally painted distinct red markers on the camera lenses.
ROFL...LOL

You are joking aren't you?.....aren't you?

Of course they're 'light streaks', you can clearly see the patterns that the trails make from the lights.

It was on the Queen Wembley DVD too. You don't see it these days cos the technolgy in video recording equipment has improved vastly since the 80s.

the 70s stuff is even worse! Lots more flares then (in more ways than one )

The concert was just another date on Queen's 82 Euro tour
(Incidentally I was at the Leeds concert a week before Milton Keynes) and it was not 'made for TV'.
It was decided to be filmed at the last minute for a newish UK TV programme at the time called 'The Tube'.
Old 11-18-04, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Kevo
ROFL...LOL

You are joking aren't you?.....aren't you?

Of course they're 'light streaks', you can clearly see the patterns that the trails make from the lights.

It was on the Queen Wembley DVD too. You don't see it these days cos the technolgy in video recording equipment has improved vastly since the 80s.

the 70s stuff is even worse! Lots more flares then (in more ways than one )

The concert was just another date on Queen's 82 Euro tour
(Incidentally I was at the Leeds concert a week before Milton Keynes) and it was not 'made for TV'.
It was decided to be filmed at the last minute for a newish UK TV programme at the time called 'The Tube'.

that maybe true.

however MTV(usa)also brodcast the concert,(i believe live)...so im not sure how last minute it Actually was..

Last edited by tommy28; 11-18-04 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 10:11 PM

I haven't noticed this nearly this bad on ANY live concert I've EVER seen from this time period. I haven't noticed this at all from the Wembley or the other 82 Queen DVD concert. I collect old concerts and never have any of these 'light streaks' stood out anywhere close to this. I must have at least 100 shows both from the 70s and 80s.
Old 11-19-04, 07:48 AM

They're clearly on parts of the Wembley DVD.
Maybe Queen have their lights very bright, too bright for TV cameras.

The 'other 82 concert'?
Do you mean the 81 Montreal Concert which WAS especially made for a FILM...and I do mean FILM cameras and not electronic TV cameras. Then obviously you're not going to see the 'streaks' hear.

MTV did NOT broadcast it live. It wasn't even broadcast in the UK until 7 months later.

Even if it was broadcast live, it could still have been given the go ahead at the last minute.

Last edited by Kevo; 11-19-04 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-19-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow....

If you still need convincing on whether or not they are "light streaks", watch the concert again. If you watch closely, you can see the instant when the lines are made from panning across certain lights. Then you'll notice that for a few minutes, whenever the concert cuts back to that camera the same streaks are still there....until they fade away.

M
Old 11-19-04, 02:49 PM

I'm convinced they are light streaks, but I've NEVER seen it this bad from ANY 70s or 80s performance ever. They don't seem to fade away for a long long time either.
Old 11-19-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
Just pretend you dropped some acid and enjoy the show
Old 02-13-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I just picked this up tonight. The grainy quality wasn't actually that bad, but I'm a little disappointed it wasn't anamorphic like the We Will Rock You DVD is.

I still haven't picked up Wembley yet. Is it anamorphic?
Old 02-13-05, 06:28 AM

Why would you want to see it cropped (ruined) to 16:9 when it was originally made for TV in 4:3? it's OAR!

Don't be dissapointed, be elated that they heaven't done a hatchet job like they did on Hits 1 and 2.
Old 02-13-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Well, I did say I was only a "little" disappointed. Being able to see any Queen concert is satisfactory enough in itself.

Maybe I missed something, but what "hatchet job" are you talking about on the Hits discs?
Old 02-13-05, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Well, I did say I was only a "little" disappointed. Being able to see any Queen concert is satisfactory enough in itself.

Maybe I missed something, but what "hatchet job" are you talking about on the Hits discs?
They chopped off the bottom/top of the picture to make a "fake" widescreen look.
Old 02-16-05, 05:13 AM

Im a huge Queen fan but iv had my Fill of concerts filmed in the 80`s..i want the 70`s....

and i want them now!!!