Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameCube games for (very) little kids?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GameCube games for (very) little kids?

I'm looking for a super basic, fun, happy gamecube game for my daughter (2 1/2 years!) to play. I realize she probably wont master the timing of classic mario just yet, but something fun and easy might capture some interest?

Any ideas?
Old 11-15-04, 09:03 PM
DB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats very very young. Too young for to play anything for "real" on the gamecube that I know of. I recommend reader rabbit toddler & jumpstart farm for the PC. Closest for the gamecube would probably be monkey ball and kirby air ride.

- David
Old 11-15-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Pick her up some old NES or SNES games. I had my son playing at that age, but he couldn't control the 3D surroundings of GC games.

Pick up one of those Super Joy 3 deals with all the games built in. She can probably have fun with most of those, like Super Mario Bros. etc.
Old 11-15-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My son loved to play Super Monkey Ball 2 at that age, though he wasn't great. He could do some of the level 1 tracks without too much problem and eventually could clear all of level 1 and some of level 2.

My wife used to play Animal Crossing so he played that some, he just liked to run around and do stupid stuff.

He likes Harry Potter and liked that Harry Potter Quidditch Cup game also, though he wasn't very good at it.

He's turning 4 soon and doesn't really play any of those anymore. He's currently addicted to Disney Skate Adventure - not sure if that is out for Gamecube or not, I think it might be. Its actually a really cool game with lots of unlockables. He's been playing it since he turned 3, but only recently got pretty good at it.

We got him Piglet's Big Game for PS2 (might also be out for GC), but it turned out to be too hard for him. Actually, most adventure type games are too hard, he just comes to ask for help all the time. Otherwise he just continually dies/has to restart levels/etc which gets him frustrated. Stuff that is more free-roaming and lets him have fun even though he might not be doing very good is a good type of game to get. Thats why I think the Disney Skate Adventure is good, some stuff is tough, some is easy, but you can always just skate around and check out the different worlds without having much skill. He seems to be wildly entertained by continually jumping into the toilet and getting flushed into the shower in the Toy Story first level.

Last edited by Jeraden; 11-15-04 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Pokemon Channel is targeting the very young age bracket. From the reviews it sounds like you just basically watch pikachu watch tv, probably simple enough but entertaining enough for a young child.
Old 11-16-04, 04:54 AM

Donkey Konga looks like it may be fun for little kids:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=426018
Old 11-16-04, 07:18 AM

Pokemon Channel isn't to bad, my daughter started playing it at 4. She needed help, but enjoyed the game. Both my daughter now 5 & 8 like mario golf. It has an auto aiming so they only have to hit the green button twice. They like the ring and coin games best. Plus dad likes playing it too and is now a players choice title ($20 or less)
Old 11-16-04, 07:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
For that age, I recommend a V-Smile console instead.
Old 11-16-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
For that age, I recommend a V-Smile console instead.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-16-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats not a bad idea .. I already have a 'spare' gamecube, so thats why i was hoping something was available.

Does anyone have the vsmile here? Seems like there is only 4-5 titles out or so?

i like that there is disney stuff tho!
Old 11-16-04, 09:51 AM

Mickey Mouse Magic Mirror is pretty simple.
Old 11-16-04, 10:57 AM

Magic Mirror is a horrible game. I bought it for my little ones and they were bored with it in like 10 minutes.
Believe it or not, the favorites for my kids are Mario Kart, Looney Tunes Back in Action and Super Smash Bros. Melee. They like Piglet, but I end up helping a lot on that one.
Old 11-29-05, 08:29 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bumping an old thread for more info on the V-smile. Does anyone here have it? Do their kids like it/play it? I am thinking of this for a 3 1/2 yr old.

Why does it not come with the power adaptor?
Old 11-29-05, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DB
Thats very very young. Too young for to play anything for "real" on the gamecube that I know of. I recommend reader rabbit toddler & jumpstart farm for the PC. Closest for the gamecube would probably be monkey ball and kirby air ride.

- David
Tell that to my son. He has been playing games and holding controllers correctly since he was 3 months old! Seriously.

My sons favorite games, (now 4) are Wave Race, Mega Man: Collectors edition, NBA Street Vol. 2. Super Monkey Ball 2, Mario Party 5.

I would recommend Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2 the most. My son was able to pick that up after a few tries, and how he can get most of the way through the advanced level.

[sheds tear] I love my son! [/sheds tear]
Old 11-29-05, 09:03 AM

My neice loved to play around with animal crossing and super monkey ball and mario kart.

She may not have known what she was doing, or win any races, but she had fun.
Old 11-29-05, 10:09 AM

I was playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes when I was six months old.
Old 11-29-05, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by cleverusername
I was playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes when I was six months old.
Yeah, me too. But I quickly moved on to Halo 2 and online play by 1 year. You should hear the language I use around the house. Now Call of Duty 2 seems to be the way to go. I think the new Grand Theft Auto should be out by the time I am 2. I also type well for my age. Wink.
Old 11-29-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife got upset when I had our 3 year old and 4.5 year old daughters playing Soul Caliber against each other.

They have some fun with Super Monkey Ball too, but really too hard for them to play it for real.
Old 11-29-05, 06:17 PM

Take a look for piglet's big game. http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adv....html?q=piglet
Old 11-29-05, 08:46 PM

animal crossing, any mario game, sonic, mario karts and Super Smash Bros. is also very good, thats what my sister inlaws 2 1/2 old plays he also plays with the gameboy sp, he plays donkey kong on it and mario golf

Last edited by stargun; 11-29-05 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 09:16 AM

I always tell people to go on Ebay, buy a TOP LOADING NES (original 2nd generation Nintendo) and about 50 games and it will still be less than any current system + 1 game. The buttons are easy, controllers are small, and every game is pretty easy to understand. Start them easy then let them work up. If you start them on Xbox 360 then what do the kids have to work up to? My son is only 3 months, but I can't wait to take him through video game history. Remember, with correct parental supervision, video games can be great for the kids. Builds problem solving, setting goals, thinking ahead, hand-eye coordination, etc.
Old 12-01-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
My youngest was playing Super Monkey Ball 2 at 3 years. Concept is simple, plus he really liked the monkeys.

Don't worry about how well they play. They eventually will get it. In fact, I think my son enjoyed sending the monkeys off into the chasm more than finishing a level.
Old 12-02-05, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Killer 7