Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

FPS games on Consoles

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FPS games on Consoles

I am not trying to console bash here - or at least not any one console over another - but I really dont get FPS games on consoles.

Once you master WASD and a mouse, using a controller seems so awkward and stupid to me.

Dont get me wrong, I like consoles - I have all the 3 major ones and a dreamcast to boot, but FPS games just cant grab me.

For FPS'ing its all about the PC with BFnam, CS Source or FarCry.

Its not because I suck (a lot anyway) either, I can do it (well at least the original halo and a few others), but it just doesnt hold appeal for me.

Am I the only one?
Old 11-15-04, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people.

I really love Halo 1 and 2- other FPS games not as much. There have been other ones I can play through, but there are huge advantages playing a FPS with a PC, as long you have the right system.

For everyone else, there's the SmartJoy FRAG.

Good, but not perfect by any means, but a good option when you MUST have a kb/mouse
Old 11-15-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're hardly alone. I've played probably over a hundred FPSes with a mouse in my right hand and my left hand around the left side of the kbd. (Rather than WASD, I use a rather wonky AZCtrlSpace combo. Same thing, except that LeftCtrl - and, if I really want, Shift - don't contribute to crappy Windows key-jamming.)

I got an N64 and tried playing through Goldeneye. Excellent game, really - huge fun - but I spent way too much time wrestling with the goddamn analog controller. With a mouse, I could've plonked Spetznaz troopers fifteen times, but instead I had to analog-stick around... it was awful, and I stopped playing because of it.

- David Stein
Old 11-15-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The most important thing is to have a high quality, high fidelity analog stick (or sticks) on your controller. The ms xbox controller gives you this, the sony dualshock not so much IMO.

Then as long as the single player game play is balanced for use of a controller (possibly with some subtle autotargeting - not like Halflife ps2, bleah) then I don't have a problem with it.

It becomes more of an issue in multiplayer, if you have a mix of kb+mouse players and those using a controller. Competitive balance becomes an issue then.

I don't doubt that the mouse is a more accurate aiming device than the controller, just that it's not an issue for me if the game has been appropriately balanced.

Some benefits of fps on consoles:
- a few games are exclusive to console (killzone, halo 2)
- typically the average living room setup is more comfortable than your computer chair
- maybe a bigger screen (although could be lower res)
- likely a much better sound system for the average percent
- multiplayer on the one console
Old 11-16-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
FPS games on consoles have had horrible controls until Halo (IMO) and now it seems they are just getting better all around. We've got Unreal Championship improving and Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six are both great. Haven't played Killzone, but for the PS2 I know Area 51 is the smoothest FPS I've ever played with a PS2 controller... it changed my mind about the dualshock being a bad design for FPSers... Riddick and Doom 3 were also really easy to control. I think they got a handle on it really.

Games like Timesplitters 2 make me never want to pick up another console controller again.

Regardless, nothing will be able to replace a mouse/keyboard except a mouse and keypad sort of device.
Old 11-16-04, 11:08 AM
Retired

They're really mainly for those of us that never got into PC gaming.

I struggle with the keyboard and mouse controls if I try to play a PC fps as I just never got used to those controls, and have been playing with console controllers since the Atari 5200.

I'm sure I could learn the keyboard and mouse scheme, and I see the benefits with faster aiming and what not, but I really have no desire as I don't like FPS's much in general and have no desire to sit at a PC and game after spending 40 hours at a computer at work all week.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 11-16-04 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-16-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I hate FPS on console for this reason. I can't make the change, nor do I really care to. Having the resolution break down because of size on screen and the controls is why I never got into them. I'm so used to the keyboard and mouse controls.
Old 11-16-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to see i'm not alone.. I thought I was missing something - but I guess its just some peoples preference (that and the non-availability of certain titles on PC).

One reason I was wondering was because some people in the HL2 thread said they would wait for it on xbox - which totally blew my mind..
Old 11-16-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Chris_D
- typically the average living room setup is more comfortable than your computer chair
All the reasons why I still enjoy playing FPS's on consoles.

That being said, I would still like a mouse-keyboard combo.
Old 11-16-04, 12:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Chris_D
And many many more games are exclusive to PC.

Go out and buy a comfy chair for your computer. Problem solved.
Moot point. If I'm sitting across the room from a big tv it takes up less of my field of vision than sitting up close to a monitor. Or you could always get a projector. As for resolutions, until HDTV is replaced the best consoles will get is 1080i. A lot of PC gamers are already gaming at 1600x1200.
Probably, but you can also hook up your computer to a nice sound system. Even to your HT setup if you so desire
Okay, I'll grant you this one (even though I loathe split-screen gaming).
Old 11-16-04, 01:40 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Groucho
]Go out and buy a comfy chair for your computer. Problem solved.
I don't think the best computer chair in the world can compare with an awesome couch with a nice ottoman to put your feet up on.

Moot point. If I'm sitting across the room from a big tv it takes up less of my field of vision than sitting up close to a monitor.
This makes sense, but just doesn't work for me. I still prefer a larger screen, even if I'm sitting futher away.
Old 11-16-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my thoughts... i'm pretty proficient w/ the keyboard/mouse combo on the pc. when i tried playing halo on the xbox, i sucked w/ the gamepad.

so, for halo2, i picked up the smart frag keyboard/mouse adapter. it allowed me to play halo w/ my sanity still intact. but, it's not the greatest. the mouse is not sensitive enough and i'm picking it up and moving it to turn. and an optical mouse freaks it out so i'm using my old mechanical mouse w/ the ps2 plug.

my observation though, is that halo 2 is a different story. i can actually control it using the gamepad so i wonder if they made some tweaks. so, for halo 2, i prefer the gamepad.

i found out that bungie actually made an auto-targeting system so that it "assists" w/ your targeting.

--
as for the groucho/josh debate, i'm on the side of having a 19" monitor, stereo speakers and a desk setup for my pc. i'm too lazy to boot it up and then shut it down as well for games.

my console gaming setup is DD5.1, 34" widescreen, sofa setup... much more comfortable.

consoles have pretty much taken up my limited gaming time.

Last edited by young; 11-16-04 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm siding with groucho on the comfort level. Though it's all personal preference really. The split screen is what kills me about Console gaming. I hated it when people look at others screens when playing FPS at a lan. It would be considered cheating. Yet with four screens everyone knows where everyone else is at all times. Rather takes a way a lot of the hide and seek.
Old 11-16-04, 02:59 PM
Retired

That's personal preference too. I hate the "hide and seek" and having to have maps memorized to be good.

I'm not big on multiplayer gaming in general, thus the few times I do partake, I prefer pick up and play party games that anyone can jump right into.

Being able to see where each other is at creates a great party game as it's more action oriented and requires much less knowledge of the maps.
Old 11-16-04, 03:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I guess we'll have to "agree to disgree" here and leave it at that. Although if I ever notice that you're attending a DVDTalk Meet somewhere, I'm flying out and kicking your ass.
Old 11-16-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I cringe at the thought of playing an FPS on a console.Aiming with the analog stick is SO much harder than using the mouse.
Old 11-16-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't think the best computer chair in the world can compare with an awesome couch with a nice ottoman to put your feet up on.

This makes sense, but just doesn't work for me. I still prefer a larger screen, even if I'm sitting futher away.
Hook your PC up to yoru TV screen... get a cordless keyboard and mouse Or just use a USB gamepad...
Old 11-16-04, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once you master WASD and a mouse, using a controller seems so awkward and stupid to me.
I'm the opposite... I used to love FPS on the computer, wasn't the best at them but did reasonably well. After playing them on consoles (PS2 & Xbox) for awhile though I tried to go back to the PC and it just didn't feel right. For some reason the controllers just seem more natural to me. I'm waiting for the Half Life pack to drop a little more in price before picking it up, I may have to get a gamepad at the same time though
Old 11-16-04, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for the PS2 I know Area 51 is the smoothest FPS I've ever played with a PS2 controller
I thought Area51 wasn't coming out until next year
Old 11-16-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
It's all what you first played a FPS with and what you learned with. Most people first played with a keyboard, so that's what they prefer.

I, myself, learned on the PS1 (dual analog, inverted), so Halo was easy for me to pick up.

Though, I'm totally retarded playing a FPS on a mouse/keyboard. Really.
Old 11-16-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by nemein
I thought Area51 wasn't coming out until next year
I go to E3 every year.
Old 11-16-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And many many more games are exclusive to PC.[/b]Go out and buy a comfy chair for your computer. Problem solved.Moot point. If I'm sitting across the room from a big tv it takes up less of my field of vision than sitting up close to a monitor. Or you could always get a projector. As for resolutions, until HDTV is replaced the best consoles will get is 1080i. A lot of PC gamers are already gaming at 1600x1200.Probably, but you can also hook up your computer to a nice sound system. Even to your HT setup if you so desireOkay, I'll grant you this one (even though I loathe split-screen gaming). [/B]
Remember this is Dvdtalk, heaps of people here have spent thousands on setting up fantastic home theatres, with comfortable couches, awesome surround sound etc. Having to spend this money again to duplicate the effort for your pc which for a lot of people is most likely tucked away in a small study somewhere is just too much.

And many many more games are exclusive to PC.
These days it wouldn't be 'many many' but of course all platforms have exclusive games. I said 'a few' anyway .

If I'm sitting across the room from a big tv it takes up less of my field of vision than sitting up close to a monitor.
I find sitting back about 3 metres from my screen more comfortable anyway so this works for me. Admittedly lcds make computer usage more pleasurable than the old crts.

but you can also hook up your computer to a nice sound system.
Alternatively, you could just slot your pc into your home theatre, I know people that do this. They use a bench for the keyboard or mouse, not ideal, but it works. Anyway, if you have thousands to spend on playing games for just the one platform (pc), power to you.

I'll grant you this one (even though I loathe split-screen gaming).
Halo coop is probably the most fun I've had split screen gaming. Admittedly it works better in some games than others.

cheers
Old 11-16-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm siding with groucho on the comfort level. Though it's all personal preference really. The split screen is what kills me about Console gaming. I hated it when people look at others screens when playing FPS at a lan. It would be considered cheating. Yet with four screens everyone knows where everyone else is at all times. Rather takes a way a lot of the hide and seek.
I agree, I always thought split screen deaths were lame (goldeneye, halo). I still go to a lan every couple of months to get my fix .

I do kind of like the concept of a team of 2-4 on 1 xbox vs 2-4 on another xbox, but I've never bothered to try and organise an xbox lan (pc lans are still traditional round here).