Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Dreams 11/14/04

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
American Dreams 11/14/04

Helen is totally depressed by JJ's MIA status and becomes a slug for a few weeks (or maybe a month has passed since last episode). Beth suggests that Helen might be helped by going to see a psychologist, but Jack wants nothing of it. Helen does go see the shrink after Will and Patty almost burn down the kitchen. The visit to the shrink is very short, and Helen quickly leaves after realizing she doesn't need it.

Pete gets his cop gig back. Jack talks with Pete, very concerned about Helen's retreat from her family.

Patty thinks that by doing good deeds, her prayers to bring back JJ will work. She starts on collecting clothes for the needy. The nun at school corrects Patty on her mis-understanding of how good works are rewarded, and how Patty's outlook is naive, though well-intended.

Sam finally gets a glimpse of just how different his background is from the rest of the well-to-do black students at Penn when his basketball team is denied motel rooms on an away game in Virginia because of the black players on the team. Sam tells Melanie how his past and community are the reason why he is ashamed to bring her home to his family. He bolts from her after revealing his feelings of not being from the right background for Melanie, and Melanie is left dumbfounded.

Meg can't decide if she should publicly state what JJ meant to her high school as he is remembered for his service in the military given his MIA status, along with other alumni in the military. Chris knows that Meg will do what is in her heart. Chris invites Meg on the rooftop to see the meteor showers, but is disappointed when nearby lights make it hard to see the streaks across the sky. A minor miracle happens and the city suffers a blackout and enables the lovebirds to see the showers under ideal conditions.

Fantasia shows up to sing "Respect" as Aretha Franklin. Eh...

Luke gets the drummer fired from the band that he and Rox are co-managing. Rox knows that Luke got the drummer fired because she was getting too chummy with him. Rox decides to move out, so Luke finally admits to moving back to Philadelphia to be with her, as well as co-managing to be with closer to her. They kiss.

JJ is alive, and is found by a Frenchman who lives like a king at a plantation, but he later appears to somewhat of a businessman with drug implications and has some agreement with the Viet Kong to report any American soldiers that show up at his place to continue his business pursuits. JJ is to be handed over to the Viet Kong, but JJ manages to overcome the Frenchman, grab his rifle and escape into the night.

Beth has her baby during the blackout, and it's a boy named Jack Pryor III, though Pete really is working on nicknaming the child "Trip" while Jack is against it. The emergence of the child seems to have shaken Helen out of her funk and it has pulled the Pryor clan back together, stronger.
Old 11-15-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Ah the French - you'll never ever see a Frenchie play a good guy in American entertainment anymore.

The minute the French guy said he didn't have a radio, I knew something was up. It reminded me of the drug dealer in Romancing the Stone - who has the estate in the middle of nowhere.
Old 11-15-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good episode (of course).

Sam bitching out Melanie.

JJ is just a badass. Dude just won't die (at least the writers won't let him ).

Next week looks good.
Old 11-15-04, 09:31 AM

Does anyone else get annoyed that every time the whole family is in the kitchen getting breakfast they have everyone talking at the same time. They always do this. It's always Patty's annoying voice that I hear. Are they trying to make it seem more "real" if everyone is talking at the same time?? I don't get it.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-15-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by charlie bucket
Does anyone else get annoyed that every time the whole family is in the kitchen getting breakfast they have everyone talking at the same time. They always do this. It's always Patty's annoying voice that I hear. Are they trying to make it seem more "real" if everyone is talking at the same time?? I don't get it.

Just my opinion.

No because I think that is fairly common for a large family.

The most annoying thing I have found in AD is how much it snows. You would think the show was set in Buffalo or something.
Old 11-15-04, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog

True, but it's only three kids.
Old 11-15-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by charlie bucket
True, but it's only three kids.

Operative word: kids - they do that.
Old 11-15-04, 10:00 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It's good to see that they're not going to drag this JJ MIA thing out too long. I had a feeling that they would fast forward a year or two and Beth would marry Ben Taylor. Then JJ would show up.
Old 11-15-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Exactly.

I can't believe I have never watched this show on a more consistent basis. For the first time, I have watched three or four eps in a row and I have really come to appreciate the show. It's great.

I knew something was up when the French expat said he didn't have a radio either. The man is in the business of heroin - he must have a connection to the outside world. J.J. should have shot him in the knee.

I really like Beth.

Glad to see Sam ditch Melanie - hopefully it lasts.

Originally posted by AndyCapps
It's good to see that they're not going to drag this JJ MIA thing out too long. I had a feeling that they would fast forward a year or two and Beth would marry Ben Taylor. Then JJ would show up.
Yeah, but I'm glad that they didn't wrap it up in one either. At least they are taking some time w/ it and stretching it out over a few eps. Most shows nowadays would take one or two eps to wrap up the storyline - I hate it when they hurry shit like that.