Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can someone ID this old Tarzan(?) movie for me?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-14-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Okay, I don't know what made me think of this, but when I was kid I remember watching this old black and white movie on cable. I think it was a Tarzan movie, but it might've been another old "white man's burden" type of thing.

Anyhoo, all I recall about it was this particularly gory execution scene.

It went like this: The natives had tied two trees back so that they formed an "X" shape. They then tied men to the trees so that their arms and legs were on the trunks of the trees (and their bodies were "crucified" in an "X" shape on the trees). The ropes that held the trees back were than cut, and the guys crucified to the trees were fucking torn to pieces.

Anyone know the title of this movie?
Old 11-15-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Can someone ID this old Tarzan(?) movie for me?

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Okay, I don't know what made me think of this, but when I was kid I remember watching this old black and white movie on cable. I think it was a Tarzan movie, but it might've been another old "white man's burden" type of thing.

Anyhoo, all I recall about it was this particularly gory execution scene.

It went like this: The natives had tied two trees back so that they formed an "X" shape. They then tied men to the trees so that their arms and legs were on the trunks of the trees (and their bodies were "crucified" in an "X" shape on the trees). The ropes that held the trees back were than cut, and the guys crucified to the trees were fucking torn to pieces.

Anyone know the title of this movie?
sounds kind of graphic for a typical Tarzan old school movie
Old 11-15-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Can someone ID this old Tarzan(?) movie for me?

Originally posted by j123vt_99
sounds kind of graphic for a typical Tarzan old school movie
That's what I was thinking. Mostly what I remember from old Tarzan movies was the stock nature footage of cute animals frollicking in the woods. I sure don't remember anything like that.
Old 11-15-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Were the men they tied to the trees white men or natives? If they were natives, it might have been a Robinson Crusoe movie.
Old 11-15-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I cant' remember who the people in question were, natives or Europeans, but since I posted, I did some googling, and found these reviews:

http://www.mcfergesondvd.com/tarzan.htm

"Treasure" is still enjoyable, in spite of the endless use of stock footage from earlier Tarzan films. When a tribe captures Jane, Boy and the Safari members, they witness native bearers being ripped apart while tied to trees in the exact same footage from "Tarzan Escapes".
And another review of "Tarzan Escapes":

http://www.erbzine.com/mag6/0618.html

The original version of this film, titled The Capture of Tarzan, was shown to preview audiences in 1935 and was heavily criticized for scenes of gruesome violence. The most notorious scene was one involving a giant bat attack in a swamp. Hollywood legend has it that, at the preview showing, the sight of these giant creatures carrying off panic-stricken porters sent kids screaming from the theatre. So strong was the negative reaction from parents, critics and media, that the studio ordered much of the film re-shot. MGM replaced the original director, James McKay, with a series of directors with the final credit given to Richard Thorpe. The alternate version had various working titles including: Tarzan Returns, Tarzan and the Vampires, and Tarzan The original scenes were replaced, however, by equally gruesome scenes, such as the Gabonis shooting arrows into the heads of fleeing porters, victims tied spread-eagle on bent trees being split in half when the trees were freed, Ganeloni torture rites, and the lowering of captives into a pit to be slaughtered by a man-killing giant ape. A copy of the first version has never turned up but the story line was used in the Big Little Book version
So the movie I'm thinking of might be either "Tarzan Escapes" or "Tarzan's Secret Treasure."