Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Polk R30 speakers- Good?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Polk R30 speakers- Good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polk R30 speakers- Good?

Wondering if anyone has had experience with these speakers?
http://www.audioreview.com/Main%20Sp...7_1594crx.aspx

Fry's has a pair for $120 and it seems like a really good deal. Opinions? Or any suggestions for another pair of floor standing fronts for under $200?
Old 11-13-04, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings!
Excellent for the price,(orig.MSRP:
$399.95 per pair (US)*
$499.95 per pair (Canada)*

Good starter set (or for that price-fronts and rears) bottom of the Polk line-but still a fine start,some info from Polk:

Building incredible-sounding speakers at reasonable prices has made Polk Audio a powerhouse in the audio industry. The R Series Loudspeaker models continue the Polk tradition of using high quality materials and excellent fundamental engineering to deliver exceptional sound at an exceptional value.
R Series Loudspeakers are perfect for building starter systems, or for small room or multi-room applications. With the addition of a PSW Series powered subwoofer, you can assemble an impressive home theater system on a budget. Use them as surrounds in a den or bedroom system. Wall mount them in your workshop or basement rumpus room for “industrial strength” durability and great sound.

The R30 Features:

Superior home theater and music performance.
Slim tower design conserves floor space, occupies less than one square foot.
Polk Audio’s exclusive Dynamic Balance drivers and tweeters for wide response and low distortion.
Wide dispersion drivers and tweeters project sound over a wide area so every listener in a room hears open, “box-less,” three-dimensional sound.
Front-firing bass port for high efficiency and powerful bass response.
Arched grille design elinminates grille interference with the port output, lowering turbulence and distortion (and it looks real cool too!).
Carpet spikes ensure mechanical stability on carpeted floors for precise bass response and superior imaging.
High efficiency design allows them to be driven by unpretentious amplifiers and receivers, revealing that classic Polk sound...open, spacious and clear.
Magnetically shielded for safe placement near TVs and computer monitors.
5-way binding posts provide a wide array of secure wire-hook up options.
With a minimum of fuss and expense, R Series speakers ably reproduce accurate sound with impressive volume, in attractive, solidly built cabinets finished in basic black.

And a few reviews:

STRENGTHS:
Excellent sound, well made, gorgeous.

WEAKNESSES:
Nothing at all worth mentioning.

REVIEW:
I got these speakers at a great price ($130) and have been extremely pleased in the six months I've owned them. I would have gladly paid full price. I have very little in the way of funds (I'm a sophomre in high school) and Polk beats every speaker in this price range in regards to affordabilty and, of course, breathtaking sound. Just smooth, and warm overall. Couldn't be happier. Keep makin' good speakers Polk, I'll keep buyin' them

Reviewed by: Peter J Sammon II
Date Submitted: 10-01-2004 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Superbly balanced natural unoveramplified wide-dispersing sound that will never tire the listener! Clean and involving for sure! Wide range! Emotional! Has the ability to make you cry or jump for joy!

WEAKNESSES:
I do not see the "cherry finish" as an option on this website!

REVIEW:
I like small speakers. In general I do not care for larger transducers that kill music with their overdone hyped-up bass. Give me something small that will portray the music's emotional quality yet not have its clarity muddied up with overly bassy sound. This circumstance will induce "Listener Fatigue" quicker than a duck on a June bug!

Thankfully, the Polk R30 speakers will have none of that. They are as neutral sounding speakers as you are ever likely to find anywhere. The sound is emotional and transparent with excellent transients that only serve to make the speakers disappear.

In its price range, I don't think anything really comes all that close to it and I've heard many over the years! The fact that it is a small speaker system in tower form gives it its charm...which is deep smooth bass reasonably flat down to 50Hz along with smooth mids and highs that are well dispersed throughout the listening area while giving a tremendous impactful clear soundstage that belies its size and price!

Mine are setup in my humble 8' x 12' computer room with the towers placed in the two corners of the 8' side and turned slightly inward. The speakers are driven by my quite modest vintage Pioneer SA-500 Integrated amp that is rated a mere 15 watts p/ch rms from 10Hz to 40KHz and they sound awesome and can play quite loudly without amplifier clipping being present which can kill any speaker regardless of its rating. Yes, it can shake the room when the source calls for it but amazingly...the sound is never overdone and Matthew Polk has managed to create a sound reproducer that somehow just makes itself disappear leaving you only with the music!

That is a tall order for any speaker at any price but at this price level...it is absolutely unheard of. You get small speaker sound with extended well-defined bass without having to spend extra on pedestals. The superbly designed front firing ports also mean that one doesn't have to pull the speakers out from the rear wall as much as one would have to if one of the popular Canadian brand speakers with their rear facing ports would require.

I love these cherry red R30's and I believe that these are the last set of speakers I'll ever own. Hopefully Matthew will keep them in the line for years to come. In time...they are sure to become legends. I just have one major complaint...Why did Polk Audio remove the nice red heart that used to dot the "i" in "Audio"??? 'Cause obviously much TLC went into the R30's creation!

Reviewed by: Julianh
Date Submitted: 09-27-2004 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Smooth, detailed without being overly bright, dynamic, can play quite loud with 100watts. Excellent for the price.

WEAKNESSES:
They can't handle the deep bass, but that's what a subwoofer is for.

REVIEW:
My Father in law needed some new speakers, we auditioned these in the store, but really didn't need to compare them to anything. First time I heard them, thought they sounded wonderful. After my dad compared them to some other models he decided they were a great bargain and decided to get them. Such an affordable price, but such a great sound from, by all appearances, a very basic design. These are being powered by an Onkyo receiver. When my dad got them home and we got them all hooked up and put in his favorite CD, we each had a huge smile on our face.

Reviewed by: mike
Date Submitted: 07-16-2004 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
crisp sound
cheap
tower speakers

WEAKNESSES:
none

REVIEW:
very nice crisp speakers go perfect with my jbl sub!

Reviewed by: mike brooks
Date Submitted: 05-03-2004 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
real value for your money , stay clean even at high volume

WEAKNESSES:
none that i could comment on

REVIEW:
i just purchaes these speakers to be used as part of a home theater package , although entry level these speakers are fantastic. paired them up with a psw202 sub and r15 surrounds for a pretty impressive home theater experience , for the money you will not be dissapointed . the r30's have excellent imaging all by themselves when listening to music only as well. these are my first polk speakers , they definatley will not be my last

Reviewed by: Daron Green
Date Submitted: 02-29-2004 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Everything

WEAKNESSES:
Nothing

REVIEW:
These speakers are awesome. I love guys!

Reviewed by: BOB
Date Submitted: 02-29-2004 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
GREAT CLEAR SOUND - NON DISTORTED - NICE LOOKING CASE - EASY TO HOOK-UP

WEAKNESSES:
NONE - I JUST HOPE THAT AS LOUD AS I PLAY THEM,
THEY DON'T BURN OUT - HANDLING WELL SO FAR

REVIEW:
JUST PURCHASED THESE SPEAKERS AT A PAWN SHOP FOR $75 APIECE. AFTER LISTENING TO THEM, I WOULD HAVE PAID THE FULL PRICE. VERY CLEAR
HIGHS AND MIDRANGES. BASS IS A LITTLE WEAK,
BUT WITH AN ADDED 150 WATT POWERED WOOFER,
AN EXCELLENT SOUNG EVEN CRANKED. A LITTLE
LEARY ABOUT THE 100 WATTS POWER HANDLING, BUT
NO PROBLEM YET.

Reviewed by: Don
Date Submitted: 01-02-2004 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Value, highs and mids

WEAKNESSES:
bass on the weak side, but that's what subs are for.

REVIEW:
I purchased these at Future shop for $199 a pair, and had seen these earlier at a much higher price, I am using a HK av reciever. Great sound from these, i now need to change the rest of my speakers and sub. Just using these as my fronts made an incredible difference.

Reviewed by: James Shilson
Date Submitted: 11-28-2003 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
I listen to classical,folk andeasy listening.I needed clairity at softer listening levels,but the punch needed for listening to the audio on movie CD.

WEAKNESSES:
The bass seems to be a bit weak if you crank on the bass adjustment.I do have a sub-woofer and with that,the R30 Towers are perfection.

REVIEW:
Being plauged with a small livingroom,not to mention at 50 years of age,my ears are shot,for myself the R30 Towers are perfect.I have a pair of the older Rt 25,which now are my rear surround speakers.Where I bought the speakers had the R30 Towers on sale for less than 100 bucks each,but even at the normal retail price they would be a bargin.

Reviewed by: Jim M.
Date Submitted: 09-21-2003 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Smooth, detailed sound with very little coloration at typical listening levels. The highs especially are effortless.

WEAKNESSES:
You can detect some strain if the bass is dialed up at high volume, but that applies to many small woofer designs. I don't think these are meant to be party rockers and they stay clean within their volume limits.

REVIEW:
I think these sound as clean as anything I've heard within $200 or more of their price range, unless you're looking for huge bass without a subwoofer. Even without one (which I think is needed to solidify the bass) they are impressive. Highs are crisp, midrange is smooth and the overall sound is natural and spacious. They also have good eye appeal and look costlier than they are if you care about such things.

Reviewed by: Francesco
Date Submitted: 07-28-2003 Overall Rating:

REVIEW:
In Italian :

Io li ho pagati 350 euro ,sono una bomba , quando vedo un film ho ascolto un cd (o mp3) dal pc, tremano vetri, porte, oggetti sulla scrivania (non sto scherzando),i bassi te li senti dentro al corpo . Se vuoi veramente delle buone casse consiglio le Polkaudio R30 , ogni cassa pesa 14 Kg e mezzo sono alte 86 cm e sono fatte in vero legno (non in compensato compresso come quelle che usano i mini hi-fi , ricordati che la qualitàdell'audio è dovuta anche al legno usato ).
Con queste casse non c'è bisogno di subwoofer perchè ,secondo me, i bassi sono giàultrapotenti, se dovessi mettere un subwoofer crollerebbero gli oggetti che ho sulle mensole

Ciao

Reviewed by: Milo Cordero
Date Submitted: 05-31-2003 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Clairty and bass was good enough, but I added
a YST-SW105 to make it even sound better.

WEAKNESSES:
None that I can find.

REVIEW:
Very happy with the R30s. I compared them with the NS 7390 and decided to keep the R30s.
They sound great in our large bedroom.

Reviewed by: H Jones
Date Submitted: 04-28-2003 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Tightness, pleasing sound quality and looks.

WEAKNESSES:
None for the price.

REVIEW:
I am very pleased with these speakers. I have a 5.1 system set up with a Denon 1803 Receiver, 4 R-30s for front and rear, a csi175 for center and a modified sony wm-40 sub. I have bass management set small for all speakers. I find myself going back and listening to old cds on this system using pro-logic II. These speaker are incredible sounding for the price. You could double the price and they are still a great value.

Reviewed by: Mark Worthy
Date Submitted: 04-01-2003 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Sharp lookng, great low end, wide range

WEAKNESSES:
none

REVIEW:
I have the R 30s as my L/R Surrounds, I replaced some old Polk M1's which I thought were great until I heard these! They give me a much greater range and deeper low end.
All I need to do now is replace my bose fronts with the RT/150's and I will be complete.
I love all of my Polk speakers and the M1's now serve nicley as rear surrounds in 6.1/DTS.
I would suggest these speakers to anyone that asks. Best buy for the money that I have found.

Reviewed by: R Claudio
Date Submitted: 02-11-2003 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
price,sound, and I did nt have and imaging problem.

WEAKNESSES:
just wish the cabs were finish in oak

REVIEW:
Just purchased the R30 2 days ago. I spent time in the sound room at circuit city. And tried at least 6 pairs of speakers even BOSE. I jus want to say that I preferred these over all the others. Full rich sound for the price. They are a great addition tomy surround system .Using them for my fronts with a sub.Very happy with my purchase and I have been all over the net looking at towers.would recomend.

Reviewed by: joe
Date Submitted: 01-19-2003 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
Semi-decent power handling.

WEAKNESSES:
Poorly made,cheap to make,mark-up is way to high at stereo shops. Tweeters distort easily.

REVIEW:
I had a chance to listen to these speakers durring a large sound demo. I must say that these speakers have decent power handling (35rms) but they have no imaging. If you are on the right side of your room you will only hear the right channel. And they do not create a good listening environment. I was listening to these speakers w/ a top of the line Denon amp and we were rotating different polks. It's sad to say but I found that the R15 bookshelves had a more crisp tone then these towers. But you can't expect a miracle with speakers at this price. If you are on a tight budget and you wan't a very respectable speaker system I suggest Energy Loudspeakers.
Please Polk try and put some more effort into your entry level towers. I would pay $200(Canadian) for these speakers at the most and I would bet they only cost about 2/3 of that to make. Please Polk put some decent crossovers in your entry level speakers. I know Polk makes great sounding hi-end speakers but more money,time,and effort should be put into next years R tower series speakers.

Reviewed by: Ryan
Date Submitted: 12-29-2002 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
everything

WEAKNESSES:
height of speakers are a little short

REVIEW:
I'm running the R10's for my rear drivers and the R30's for the front and the CS175 for the center channel and a 10' subwoofer AWESOME SOUND! Polk Audio is the best for your dollar (even our Canadian dollar )

Reviewed by: Fabie
Date Submitted: 12-26-2002 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
size of tweeter.
size of woofer.
very stylish speaker.
price is affordable.

WEAKNESSES:
none, I can think of!!

REVIEW:
Wow!! Awesome sight and sound!! These speakers really kick! The crystal clear sound of the highs and lows are just incredible!! I'm so happy with them; thanks PolkAudio for constructing quality speakers!!

Reviewed by: Ron
Date Submitted: 10-11-2002 Overall Rating:

REVIEW:
The best sound in low cost towers, great for small to med size room. These speakers have a nice overall tone and can push out moderate bass. I am using these with a sub.

Reviewed by: David Beauregard
Date Submitted: 05-19-2002 Overall Rating:

STRENGTHS:
everything

WEAKNESSES:
None

REVIEW:
They are Great!!!!

I'm sure you could have done this yourself-but it's early Sat. am
at work,nothing to do! www.polkaudio.com

Hope this helps-CHEERS! jefff
Old 11-13-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Polk R30 speakers- Good?

Originally posted by warcp
Wondering if anyone has had experience with these speakers?
http://www.audioreview.com/Main%20Sp...7_1594crx.aspx

Fry's has a pair for $120 and it seems like a really good deal. Opinions? Or any suggestions for another pair of floor standing fronts for under $200?
Have you listened to them? What did you think?