Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GBA Movie Player

Old 11-11-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GBA Movie Player

In a recent gaming magazine (I think it was EGM) I read about a "GBA Movie Player" from Lik-sang. It's basicaly a little adapter for a Compact Flash card that fits into the game slot.

Here's the link to it on lik-sang:
http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?ca...yer-2nd&show=2

Looks like you can also play music and see pictures, etc....
Has anyone bought this thing? How well does it work?

I sold my GBA b/c I'm getting the DS so I'm wondering if it'll work on that too.

edit: here's the description from the web site - The GBA Movie Player enables you to use your Gameboy Advance™ or Gameboy Advance SP™ to play video and audio files and read e-books from standard Compact Flash™ cards. You can use your PC and a normal Compact Flash card reader to transfer and convert your media files to the Compact Flash cards. The included software even converts files directly from DVD to the proper GBA format. The GBA Movie Player supports 'multi tasking', meaning that you can play songs while you are reading e-books in simple text format.

Last edited by Zodo; 11-11-04 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-11-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The resolution of the GBA is pretty poor so I can't imagine the quality will be very good. Animation is probably the only thing that would be watchable on the GBA.
Old 11-11-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is true...i guess i was just thinking it may be worth it if you want to use the GBA as a mp3 player or something.
Old 11-11-04, 03:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

At the 2001 E3 some microscopic third party was hawking an MP3 player that worked with the original GBA. They even had Coolio promoting it at their booth. Nothing came of it.

I think you'll see even more stabs at something like this with the DS.
Old 11-11-04, 04:11 PM
fab

I have an earlier, bulkier version of the GBA Movie Player, it's pretty cool and the quality is OK, about the same as those GBA Videos that are out there, but I never use it. In the latest revisions you can even play NES games (they have to be under a certain size though) so that's was pretty cool. I still never use it though.

--
fab
Old 12-20-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got one of the newer versions (RED) from eBay. Does anyone know whether it uses a Type I or Type II CF card?
Old 12-21-04, 10:56 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by BeckysBoy
I think you'll see even more stabs at something like this with the DS.
Normally my predictions don't come to fruition so quickly...if they come to fruition at all. I certainly didn't expect a first-party peripheral.

Please don't swamp this with threadcraps like the last topic that tried to discuss this device.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/573/573999p1.html