Reload this Page >

Anyone own Short Cuts yet?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-10-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got an e-mail saying my order shipped. I can't wait to get this and was wondering if anyone had it yet and could talk about it a little. I read a review on DVD Beaver and that's all I've seen on it.
Old 11-11-04, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine just shipped, too! (with Fanny & Alexander 5 disc). I know what I'm doing next weekend.
Old 11-12-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine shipped today (11/12) as well.

I can't wait.

This and The Office Special are mine in a few days!
Old 11-13-04, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We just got this in at my video store today. Didn't have a chance to check it out yet, but it's pretty slick. I'd say it's easily on-par with some of the discs Criterion's been putting out lately. The whole package is very similar to the style of The Battle of Algiers disc they put out recently. Good stuff.
Old 11-13-04, 04:49 AM

I bought it yesterday at Best Buy (did the same with Videodrome CC, about a week before street date). It's got an awesome package and comes with a copy of the novel of the same name. Very cool. I can't wait to watch it (it's a long one).
Old 11-13-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Is the included novel a Best Buy thing or do all of them have that? What kind of prices have you guys been paying?
Old 11-13-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They all have it. It's a part of the 2 disc set.

Like above, if it is like Battle of Algiers it will be in a slipcase with the booklet separate from the actual fold out case with the discs.

That dude is just saying that the best buy in his area breaks street date on some Criterions.

btw, I bought it at dvdempire. Got Short Cuts, The Office Special, and Evil Dead Trap for around 39 bucks (had a coupon and about $10 in credit.)

Last edited by conscience; 11-13-04 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-13-04, 12:00 PM

It was $28 at Best Buy.
Old 11-13-04, 02:31 PM

How come Best Buy already have it, since the ACTUALLY release date is Nov 16th ??
Old 11-13-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They broke street date. Sometimes stores do this. It is a no no if the bigwigs find out.
Old 11-13-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because Best Buy trains their employees to only worry about breaking street date on important films like The Stepford Wives and Dodgeball.
Old 11-13-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
So can someone confirm that this set does not contain the dueling Pauline Kael "I hate this movie"/Michael Wilmington "I love this movie" commentary track from the Criterion laserdisc?
Old 11-14-04, 08:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Form the horse's mouth:

No. In fact no commentary at all.

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/relea...ection=feature
Old 11-14-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In fact no commentary at all.
Sucktacular!
Old 11-14-04, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I'll just be happy to have this one on DVD, even bare-bones.

Thankfully, it's not bare bones. But it's great that it's finally coming out.
Old 11-16-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Because Best Buy trains their employees to only worry about breaking street date on important films like The Stepford Wives and Dodgeball.
Actually, most Criterions come in a small box with about 5 in it, and on it are no warnings about street dates (bigger studio flicks like Elf, ect. have huge orange or green stickers on the boxes that specifically say 'Do Not Put Out Until ___'. Some people who work at BB don't have a huge interest in DVD's, so they are none the wiser.

You won't find that happening at my BB...cause I'm in charge
Old 11-16-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
I just picked up SC along with F&A at Dvd Planet (they have the best prices on Criterions).

The following warning will only be of interest to anal people, like me:
Usually Criterion boxes are immaculate and are never creased or damaged in any way - even with digi-packs. But this time looking over all the Short Cuts and Fanny packages (DvdPlanet had a ton of each), most of them were pretty banged up and the corners and edges of the boxes (digi-packs) were all smashed in. I dug through almost every copy to find a couple that were in acceptable condition. Maybe it was just this store, but still...

Last edited by slop101; 11-16-04 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by slop101
I just picked up SC along with F&A at Dvd Planet (they have the best prices on Criterions).

The following warning will only be of interest to anal people, like me:
Usually Criterion boxes are immaculate and are never creased or damaged in any way - even with digi-packs. But this time looking over all the Short Cuts and Fanny packages (DvdPlanet had a ton of each), most of them were pretty banged up and the corners and edges of the boxes (digi-packs) were all smashed in. I dug through almost every copy to find a couple that were in acceptable condition. Maybe it was just this store, but still...
Well that sucks to hear. I ordered Short Cuts from DVD Planet. Getting Fanny & Alexander from Amazon though.
Old 11-16-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dvd Planet ships from a different location than their B&M, so you may be okay.
Old 11-16-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
Usually Criterion boxes are immaculate and are never creased or damaged in any way - even with digi-packs.
I don't understand.

How are Criterion's packaging less prone to damage than a non-Criterion package?
Old 11-16-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're not less prone to damages, they just happen to be less damaged when they're up on the shelves compared to other releases. It's like they come out of whatever box they were shipped in in prestine condition... but not in this case.
Old 11-16-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well got my copy from DvdEmpire. Nothing is wrong with my slipcase for the dvd.

Also I have to give it to Criterion. They outdid themselves again.

And when Criterion said they were including Carver's short stories and one poem, they weren't kidding. It is an actual paperback book.
Old 11-17-04, 01:09 AM

Intending to use a 25% off coupon at Borders that expired on the release date of F&A, I got to the store an hour before closing (after the first Borders I tried didn't have it) only to find their only copy was in fact pretty damaged - bashed corners, clawed shrinkwrap, and worst of all, a utility blade slash right through the middle of the the spines of the three digipacks. I had them check other stores in town, and managed to pick up a mint condition copy at ANOTHER store about 15 minutes away, and got it for 25% off to boot. Yay!

Epilogue: after all that running around to save 25%, I come home to find a NEW 25% coupon from Borders waiting in my email. Oh well...!

JiM T
Old 11-22-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched this last night and what a great film. I think its one of Robert Altman's best films. Every actor pulled off a terrific performance, I really cared about every character in the movie. And wow, Magnolia is pretty much just a remake of this film. The packaging is superb very sturdy and like conscience said the actual Carver book is included. After paying those high price tiers for barebones DVDs like Amarcord and High & Low, it was nice of Criterion to add all this extra stuff and still charge the same.