Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How to tell if my Aeon Flux DVD is bootleg?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-10-04, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I recently purchased AEON FLUX DVD from ebay...i received it...the case seems kind of cheap but the dvd itself has the graphics and imprints on it.

It did not come with an insert and when watching the DVD, it had no chapters selection... also it skips a bit throughout the DVD. For example, when the credits are shown at the end....it skips pretty bad and the whole screen moves up and down.

Can anyone who has a real authentic AEON FLUX let me know how I can tell its real..and if anyone can confirm there is NO chapter insert and NO Menu selection screen on the DVD.

I see a ton of people selling copies of Aeon Flux, Little Mermaid, Hard Boiled Criterion, and other rare disney titles and do not want to fall victim to one of these scammers.

BTW, he advertised the DVD as 100% authentic and real.

Thanks in advance?
Old 11-10-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
I bought mine brand-new way back before eBay.

Here's the front:

Here's the back:

and here's the disc itself:

As far as an insert, mine does have one, but it's only a Sony DVD insert, promoting other Sony releases.

I haven't played mine in a long time, but mine doesn't have a menu or chapter selection either. Starts out with a Beavis & Butthead promo, an Aeon Flux "new mission" tape promo, then goes right into the regular chapters. Unfortunately, I'm not really in the mood to sit and watch the whole thing to see if it skips or not, but I didn't have any problems when I first got it and watched it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 11-10-04 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 06:35 AM

Thanks. That answers my question.
Old 11-11-04, 07:12 AM
Banned

Did you get scammed or not? Tell us so we can avoid the same mistake if so.

Originally posted by Dan325ci
Thanks. That answers my question.
Old 11-11-04, 10:25 PM

Well at this point, I really cant tell.

The DVD does skip on several dvd players. It skips 100% of the time on the end credits part.

That could indicate a bad copy.

This leads me to my next question.

Has anyone noticed that recently many ebay sellers are selling almost all the same RARE and out of print DVDs.

Some ive seen are:

Toy Story 1 and 2
Little Mermaid
Lady and the Tramp
Hard Boiled Criterion
Gleaming the Cube
Aeon Flux

What I usually do is when considering buying one of those DVDs, I look at what else the seller is selling. If he seems to have multiple copies, its most likely fakes.

One interesting thing is, a lot of these sellers have them with the security seal intact. There must be some sort of machine that can produce these easily.

The sad part of all this is these people have good feedback and they claim them as AUTHENTIC.

There is most certainly some sort of scam with those above mentioned DVDs going on around here.

MY advice to people when buying Disney DVDs is to make sure they have the Beuna Vista logo stamped on the wrapping (although there are the odd few ive seen without them)

Can anyone shed some light on these latest (almost perfect) DVD copies?
Old 11-11-04, 11:34 PM
Banned

Wouldn't it help if Disney would stop their DVDs from going OOP? I mean, what's the deal with that dynasty in that they have this monopoly on limited run productions.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 11-11-04 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-27-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm considering purchasing Hard Boiled Criterion off of Ebay, but haven't yet due to the obvious amount of bootlegs up for auction. Any tips on how to make sure I am bidding on a legitimate version? Other than checking the seller's other auctions to see if they are selling a ton of the same thing.
Old 11-28-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've found that there are certain key buzzwords sellers use when selling bootlegs. One is, believe it or not, "Amaray case." Another is "with insert." In general, when sellers use the lingo, they are playing the bootleg game. Also, it sounds silly, but check what your seller bids on. I have found sellers who sell Disney bootlegs actually buying empty white cases in bulk on ebay. Can they make it any more obvious?
Old 11-28-04, 08:46 AM

Another thing to do is keep an eye on the other listings the seller has. If there are many Hard Boiled DVDs and mulitiple copies of rare dvds...you should most likely avoid that seller.