Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Shrek cover warning!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shrek cover warning!

Again, as with Eternal Sunshine, the word Widescreen is almost disguised on the cover. What's up with this? Hmmmmm.
Old 11-08-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still find it hard to believe that people have a hard time with these sorts of things.
Old 11-08-04, 02:58 PM
Retired

It's easy to mistake if you're running into best buy on your lunch break, or on your way to work and are in a rush.
Old 11-08-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or mistakenly think they are including both versions in one package. They do tend to do that with animated releases, and did so with the first Shrek release.

I did not grab the wrong one, and noticed the words, but I agree they shouldn't be in barely visable letters on the bottom. Paramount does the best job, I think, with their "WIDESCREEN COLLECTION" right at the top.

Last edited by calhoun07; 11-08-04 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats why you always check the back specs... never the front.
Old 11-08-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It's easy to mistake if you're running into best buy on your lunch break, or on your way to work and are in a rush.
Yes if you are indeed running into best buy and out and don't have the 15 seconds it takes to look at the back of the DVD.
Old 11-08-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every single thread that is ever made with a warning about the widescreen/fullscreen listing, the exact same people have to come in and shame the others by saying "How can you not tell the difference"....

We get it. You NEVER make mistakes when buying DVD's. This thread is not meant for you. Not everyone is as thorough when in a rush to get back to their busy jobs and lives. Sheesh.
Old 11-08-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Seantn

We get it. You NEVER make mistakes when buying DVD's. This thread is not meant for you. Not everyone is as thorough when in a rush to get back to their busy jobs and lives. Sheesh.
Ha, well if your that freaking busy then I hope you don't trip over people on the way out of the store. Take your change from the clerk before sprinting out of the store. And don't get into a car accident in your rush to and from BB. It takes a few seconds to look at the specs. "Sheesh" indeed.
Old 11-08-04, 03:35 PM
Banned

Full Screen:

Widescreen:

There. Now, I have to agree with Mopower here (although not about egg physics ). If your life is so rushed that you can't take two seconds to read the packaging, I don't think I want you out on the road with me.

Last edited by Green Jello; 11-08-04 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 03:38 PM
Suspended

They shouldnt even put the fullscreen or widescreen labels on the covers or spines. It ruins the artwork. Leave the specs for the back.
Old 11-08-04, 03:39 PM

I almost picked up Full Screen myself because I thought it was a 2 discer with bouth.

It would be cool if packaging could correlate with the version. For instance a Square box for Full screen and a rectangular box for Widescreen.

Man, I should be in marketing.
Old 11-08-04, 03:44 PM
Cool New Member

It's not thát hard, is it?

And: if you have screwed up and bought the wrong version of any movie in the past you might have learned from that? I even check the eggs in the box that I want to buy before I purchase them ( I hate to have a broken one in there)
Old 11-08-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pathetic..
Old 11-08-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, you surely are.
Old 11-08-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ceeece
I almost picked up Full Screen myself because I thought it was a 2 discer with bouth.

It would be cool if packaging could correlate with the version. For instance a Square box for Full screen and a rectangular box for Widescreen.

Not really because the cost of the DVD would increase because of having to make different boxes for each kind of DVD. Other than just changing some printing on the existing box.
Old 11-08-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by ceeece

No. I should be in marketing

When I read a "warning" about a dvd cover I usually think that something is wrong with it or may cause problems. Like if some artist at dreamworks just went crazy and the wrong cover art was on the dvd... say like this.

So when I read about the text of widescreen/fullscreen. it's a little bit of a let down.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 11-08-04 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great edits Jack
Old 11-08-04, 04:26 PM

Not only is it marked on the front of the case, it is also on the security sticker on the TOP of the case. Seems pretty clearly marked to me.
Old 11-08-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every single thread that is ever made with a warning about the widescreen/fullscreen listing, the exact same people have to come in and shame the others by saying "How can you not tell the difference"....

You need to talk louder. I don't think they heard you way up their on their high horses.
Old 11-08-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
Or mistakenly think they are including both versions in one package. They do tend to do that with animated releases, and did so with the first Shrek release.
I wouldn't look for too many more releases (especially family films) with both WS and FF in the same package . . . video stores have been battling with Disney for a few years now, and this has been one of their most recent weapons. I speak from Hollywood Video experience, but have found that the other chains have fought this fight as well: Disney wants to people to buy their movies, not rent them (we all know that). However, one of the tools that Disney had employed was limiting the quantity of product that they would sell to the majors. Of course, the majors could buy Disney product elsewhere (as HV did with Bringing Down the House) and pay more for it . . . so instead they started renting out the WS and FF versions seperately even when they came in the same package. Twice as much product for the same price! Of course, Disney is not too tickled with this, so look for the practice to end.

As for the covers, why don't they just make the cover in widescreen with black bars over the top and bottom?
Old 11-08-04, 04:46 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Mopower
Yes if you are indeed running into best buy and out and don't have the 15 seconds it takes to look at the back of the DVD.
It's more being rushed, stressed out, and not thinking to take the 15 seconds to look.
Old 11-08-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Excuse us for thinking that its ridiculous for seasoned DVDTalk members to still not look at the packages carefully when buying movies. If you're new to DVD and the whole widescreen/fullscreen thing i can imagine making a mistake, but honestly, it takes a few seconds to take a look at the box.
Old 11-08-04, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fumanstan
Excuse us for thinking that its ridiculous for seasoned DVDTalk members to still not look at the packages carefully when buying movies. If you're new to DVD and the whole widescreen/fullscreen thing i can imagine making a mistake, but honestly, it takes a few seconds to take a look at the box.
Well put Fu.
Old 11-08-04, 06:44 PM

Wow quite a few "fiery" messeges here. I too had to scan closely to see what version it was. Funny how they can slap a "#1 comedy of all time!" banner on the top so yellow it hurts the eyes and yet make an important fact (widescreen/fullscreen) so small. I think they should have atleast stipped it along the bottom...and put an insert in!!!! ahhh I've now dispensed my 10 cents. Have a good day everyone.
Old 11-08-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet jeebus, I'm sick of you "I never make a mistake" people.

I went to the store Saturday night after putting in a 10 hour day at my business, spending most of that working on 700 new titles that came into the store.

I hit Meijer's and went to grab a copy of Shrek 2. I grabbed one off the display right next to a tag that listed the sale price and said "Wide Screen."

I got to the shop on Sunday, and went to tear off the wrapping... and then I noticed the white sealing stripe at the top said Full Frame.

According to some of you people, apparently I have the I.Q. of a turnip. It couldn't just be that in my exhausted state, and being in a hurry to get home, I made a simple mistake.

And for the record - if it wasn't for Puss In Boots, Shrek 2 would have really sucked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.