Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a DVD/VCR combo unit...help

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-07-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for a decent DVD/VCR combo unit for my parents for XMAS. Any good deals or recommendations? I need something that MUST play DVD+R. The rest of just extra after that....

Looking to spend around $100 or so.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd buy a $50 DVD player and a $50 vcr. Avoid the combo. The Cyberhome 300 is a great and very small DVD player, which you can find for $30-40, handles DVD+R. (You're not makburning illegal copies for the 'rents, are ya?) You can get a fine vcr for around $50 too, any name brand like Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, etc....
Old 11-07-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, I know this....I really hate combo units, but it's what my PARENTS want...so I want to make them happy. It's good for space I guess too.
Old 11-07-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by drmoze
I'd buy a $50 DVD player and a $50 vcr. Avoid the combo. The Cyberhome 300 is a great and very small DVD player, which you can find for $30-40, handles DVD+R. (You're not makburning illegal copies for the 'rents, are ya?) You can get a fine vcr for around $50 too, any name brand like Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, etc....
You're answering a question DJ didn't ask. If this is for his parents, likely they want a single unit that is as easy to hook up and use as possible, while consuming as little space as possible. For many people these all-in-one units are great.

To answer your question, DJ, I've heard good things about the Samsung DVDV4600 and the Toshiba SD-V392. Both are $119. Circuit City has a Panasonic unit on sale right now for $119 that looks pretty nice as well. All will play burned discs.
Old 11-09-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks Mr. Salty....Maybe I will pick something up at Circuit City....I can get a FREE movie this week, who knows...maybe they'll have a 5-hour sale online also.