Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will "Dr. Katz" ever make it to DVD???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-06-04, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been waiting for Dr. Katz to hit the DVD shelves for months, years; but there's not even so much as speculative chatter about this series. I always considered it one of the funniest shows on tv at the time, and considering all the tv that's been released on DVD thus far, I can't imagine why Dr. Katz is no where to be found. I couldn't find anything about it at tvshowsondvd.com and there is only one thread on DVDTalk from a year and a half ago that even mentions the show. Does anyone have any inside information on this Comedy Central great and why it's not yet compiled and issued on DVD?
Old 11-06-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dear god I hope so. Until then I'm stuck with a slew of recorded episodes from their original airings (complete with annoying static sound)!
Old 11-06-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This and The State are what I'm waiting for the most. Commentary by H. Jon Benjamin in character as Ben Katz would be awesome!
Old 11-07-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dr Katz would be an ideal Shout Factory release.

And what about Bob and Margaret?
Old 11-08-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I talked with Soup2Nuts (previously Tom Snyder productions), and they don't have rights to Dr. Katz. They reside with Comedy Central from what they told me.

Agree that it would be GREAT to see it released at some point. Dick and Paula's Celebrity Spectacular would be welcomed as well.

A boy, a bike, a heart so full
A mom, and a dad, and a little stuffed bull.
Old 11-08-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Home Movies is getting released soon, if not already. So a Dr. Katz set is very likley. I'm pretty sure there was another thread a month or so ago on the same topic, but the more talk the better... maybe somebody out there will hear it.

If you have Comcast Cable, check out OnDemand:
Cable Favorites/Comedy Central/Shows
There are usually old episodes on there you can check out anytime you want. And I'm sure if CC is offering this to Comcast, other cable/dish programs may get it as well.
Old 11-08-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I hope when they're cleaning up Dr. Katz for a DVD release they'll take care of the jittery image.

Old 11-08-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am wondering if the same thing is holding up Dr Katz that also held up Space Ghost, and that being the guest celeberities are not all willing to let their episodes be released for the DVD. There are probably a few a-holes out there holding out for more money and delaying the DVD.

Which is why you always want to do what they did on the Critic: get guest impersonators.
Old 11-08-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no doubt that royalities are/will be a big issue with this and hope they get cleared up quickly and cheaply. But the difference with The Critic is the guest appearances were done in a more satirical way rather than a showcase of comedic variety. Dr. Katz was a Professional Therapist so it made sense to have real comedians working their bits into personal issues.
Old 11-08-04, 11:17 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Al Padrino
Dear god I hope so. Until then I'm stuck with a slew of recorded episodes from their original airings (complete with annoying static sound)!
*cough*cough*
Old 01-17-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Looks like this show's on its way to DVD. I was listening to the January 7th Sound of Young America podcast where H. Jon Benjamin was the guest and he said that he and Jonathan Katz have recorded commentaries for the first season.
Old 01-19-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Looks like this show's on its way to DVD. I was listening to the January 7th Sound of Young America podcast where H. Jon Benjamin was the guest and he said that he and Jonathan Katz have recorded commentaries for the first season.
A link confirming the above:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4931
Old 01-19-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by djbrown
Excellent. I hope the later seasons include the episodes that didn't air.

That will be another TV show that I can delete all of my file-shared versions.
Old 01-19-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by djbrown
Cool! They accepted my news tip. Things are going to start happening to me now.
Old 01-20-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More info: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4939

Looks like we're looking at Fall 2006 and have at least H. Jon Benjamin and Jonathan Katz doing commentary. I cannot freaking wait! Now if only we could get some more news on The State.
Old 01-20-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Home Movies abandoned "Squigglevision" on the DVDs after Season 1. I have no idea if the tv series did this first, or if they went back to the raw computer animation and removed the squiggle postprocessing just for the DVDs.

Either way, Dr. Katz will need to deal with the same issues (or lack thereof) that HM went through - and if SV was removed just for the dvds, expect the same thing to happen to the Dr.
Old 01-20-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPete
Home Movies abandoned "Squigglevision" on the DVDs after Season 1. I have no idea if the tv series did this first, or if they went back to the raw computer animation and removed the squiggle postprocessing just for the DVDs.

Either way, Dr. Katz will need to deal with the same issues (or lack thereof) that HM went through - and if SV was removed just for the dvds, expect the same thing to happen to the Dr.
Home Movies did stop using Squigglevision with season 2, but that was because they started using Flash for the animation which is less expensive. It was that way when broadcast. All of Dr Katz was Squigglevision and will be that way on the DVDs.

Glad Dr Katz is on the way though.
Old 01-20-06, 06:52 PM

I'm very excited for this set, can't wait for the dvds to come out, hopefully they'll put out all the seasons.
Old 01-20-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great news. This was what got me interested in stand-up comedy.
Old 01-23-06, 05:23 PM
Banned

Davisdvd.com is reporting that the release date for the First Season of Dr. Katz is on May 9th. Here is the link:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/animation.html
Old 01-23-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool for the release date.

Ugh for the episode count. Only 6 episodes in season 1? Don't know why they don't combine the first 2 or 3 seasons into "Volume 1". As long as they all eventually come, I guess I'll manage
Old 01-24-06, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad about the release date. Dr. Katz one week, Home Movies the next. May's looking pretty decent right now
Old 01-24-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Ugh for the episode count. Only 6 episodes in season 1? Don't know why they don't combine the first 2 or 3 seasons into "Volume 1".
I think the 6 episode release (as opposed to combining seasons 1&2) will lead to more sales. For me, personally, I never watched the show when it was on CC but I will probably make it a blind buy since I'll be able to get the 1st season for ~$15 (or less), but if they combined seasons and made it more like $40 retail, I wouldn't be so apt to pick it up as a blind buy. I'm sure other people are the same way.

But for fans of the show, I can understand wanting to get more than 6 episodes released.
Old 01-25-06, 10:59 PM

Great news! Now, when will SCIENCE COURT come to DVD?
Old 01-26-06, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
Davisdvd.com is reporting that the release date for the First Season of Dr. Katz is on May 9th.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.